Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bush Administartion's New LOW  (Read 1015 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Bush Administartion's New LOW
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:01:08 PM »

amid pleas for aid after Hurricane Katrina, the Bush administration has launched an unusual effort to raise charitable contributions for another cause: the government's attempt to rebuild
Iraq.

Although more than $30 billion in taxpayer funds have been appropriated for Iraqi reconstruction, the administration earlier this month launched an Internet-based fundraising effort that it says is aimed at giving Americans "a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq."

Contributors have no way of knowing who's getting the money or precisely where it's headed because the government says it must keep the details secret for security reasons.

Wow, just wow... http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/chitribts/20050918/ts_chicagotrib/newtwistonaidforiraqusseeksdonations

Apparently, though, it's a big success...
Although in its infancy, the Iraqpartnership.org Web site had generated contributions totaling $39 as of Friday night.
:D :D :D

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

allyreese

Re: Bush Administartion's New LOW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 08:09:25 PM »
My favorite part is how people don't know who's using their money or for what... fabulous

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:33:47 AM »
thankyou, cam simpson...lets just pack up our bags and let iraq go about it's merry way...like we did when the baath power got a foothold in the sixties.

why not support our efforts to get the kurds, sunnis, and shiites to work together and put behind their centuries of bickering...

or...let the civil war continue where it left off.

jimmy carter (a democrat) mr. simpson...had the forsight to declare iraq an area of terrorists birth...well...it is.

lets try to curb a civil war...mr. simpson.

amid pleas for aid after Hurricane Katrina, the Bush administration has launched an unusual effort to raise charitable contributions for another cause: the government's attempt to rebuild
Iraq.

Although more than $30 billion in taxpayer funds have been appropriated for Iraqi reconstruction, the administration earlier this month launched an Internet-based fundraising effort that it says is aimed at giving Americans "a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq."

Contributors have no way of knowing who's getting the money or precisely where it's headed because the government says it must keep the details secret for security reasons.

Wow, just wow... http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/chitribts/20050918/ts_chicagotrib/newtwistonaidforiraqusseeksdonations

Apparently, though, it's a big success...
Although in its infancy, the Iraqpartnership.org Web site had generated contributions totaling $39 as of Friday night.
:D :D :D
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »
Given that Iraq is the only democracy in the arab/muslim middle east, it would seem to make sense for people to want to support it - that is, if we ever want to see an end to terrorism in our lifetimes.

FactChecker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 01:30:11 PM »
Given that Iraq is the only democracy in the arab/muslim middle east, it would seem to make sense for people to want to support it - that is, if we ever want to see an end to terrorism in our lifetimes.

We will never see an end to terrorism in our lifetimes.  That is like saying we will see an end to rape or theft in our lifetimes ... won't happen.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 03:04:29 PM »

We will never see an end to terrorism in our lifetimes.  That is like saying we will see an end to rape or theft in our lifetimes ... won't happen.

Well technically it could happen, but that's kinda like saying we might not die. After all not everybody has died, yet.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

FactChecker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »

Well technically it could happen, but that's kinda like saying we might not die. After all not everybody has died, yet.

True, but I was trying to be realistic.  It's simply not going to happen.  What I find most ironic is that people like me who are anti-war are always dismissed as the "idealists" while the warmongers are the "realists."  Funny, I can think of few things more idealistic than pursuing a war against an action or ideology.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »

True, but I was trying to be realistic.  It's simply not going to happen.  What I find most ironic is that people like me who are anti-war are always dismissed as the "idealists" while the warmongers are the "realists."  Funny, I can think of few things more idealistic than pursuing a war against an action or ideology.

Yes, but a balance is required. If France had stood up to Germany in 1933 or before the whole world would've been better off and they would've crushed Germany. But how were they supposed to know Germany would go berserk? The only way I can think of is if they had believed hitler's book, his ideology, sometimes people mean what they say. [Don't get me wrong, I don't thing Germany and Iraq have much in common].

The problem is the balance.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 05:48:44 PM »

when you enlisting?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
since when does democracy=end to terrorism?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1