Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best editing service for personal statements?  (Read 4546 times)

Faye

best editing service for personal statements?
« on: October 14, 2003, 02:26:18 PM »
I wanted to know which editing service is the best one to use (or most popular one) to have my personal statement edited-- any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

litely04

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: best editing service for personal statements?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 02:45:31 PM »
I used EssayEdge before I sent my personal statement out.  I think I paid $99 for the service, and I was basically pleased.  However, I think it is very important to wait until you have a very well thought out personal statement before sending it in.  I basically used it to double check my grammar, spelling, etc., not for major issues.  I'll also add that in some ways my paper came back a bit jumbled.  I just used a few of the suggestions to strengthen my paper, it definitely did not come back in perfect form.  But, I feel that a few of the wording and organization suggestions were useful in the strengthening of my essay.  If you have an extra $80-$100 laying around I'd say go for it, otherwise you might try asking a professor or writing workshop to go through it.  

I hope this helps!  Good luck

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 10:37:12 AM »
I agree, go with a professor by far before you go to a place like EssayEdge, this is a waste of money ules that is you hav money to burn  ;)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

bobfett33

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 05:48:44 PM »
I'll be happy to edit your essay for half that much. 

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:09:15 PM »
I'll underbid Bob by $10.00.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

jack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 12:34:44 PM »
I had an amazing experience with EssayEdge and no, I do not work for them.  Before sending my essay in, I spent hours pre-writing, writing, and editing on my own.  Then I sent my essay to three friends of mine that are great writers.  By the time I had finished editing, my essay was great. 
My GPA is low and my LSAT is high so I knew my personal statement would be key.  It cost me $100 for the one-time edit and I e-mailed the editor back and forth with further details on my concept and what I was trying to achieve.  She worked very hard on the essay but when I got it back I was VERY disappointed.  She turned a very creative, unique essay into a boring, chronological, autobiography.
In the evaluation of my editor, I expressed my extreme disappointment.  EssayEdge apologized and promised to make it up to me with another edit for free.  The second editor did a much better job but I was still very disappointed.  At this point I decided to abandon EssayEdge and work with my friends again for the final draft.  Once again, I expressed my disappointment in the service.
Third time's the charm.  Upon recieving the second poor evaluation, EssayEdge promised once again to make it up to me.  Since it was free, I agreed to give them one more shot.  When I got the essay back, I was amazed.  Every problem that I seemingly could not solve was fixed.  My essay finally had the flow that I had spent countless hours trying to achieve.  This third edit was absolutely flawless. 
I have a full scholarship at a tier one school with a miserable GPA and a high lsat.  I honestly believe that this essay put my application over the top.