Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane: Who is still applying? Who is out?  (Read 1357 times)

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tulane: Who is still applying? Who is out?
« on: September 18, 2005, 05:39:03 AM »
The subject matter says it all.  Who's still applying?  I am still mulling over the decision.  I mean Johnsontown Pa rebuilt and i think New Orleans will be better and safer when it rebuilds as well. I just wonder how much/if Tulane's reputation will suffer. 

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
Re: Tulane: Who is still applying? Who is out?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
Rep probably won't take that big of a hit. If a huge earthquake hit LA, would UCLAs and USCs rep suffer? I doubt it. It's not like all of the professors are going to leave. The facilities are still there.  The school has been around for a while. I could see the student body's LSAT/GPA going down slightly. Plus I think living in that area will have a good community vibe as everyone helps out rebuilding. I'm sure there will be some interesting and meaningful clinical opportunities for law students to help out the surrounding community.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

DOJoGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 12:08:50 PM »
I agree with ryan.. I don't think the reputation is going to take that big of a hit.  In the past couple of years, the President of the University (Scott Cowen) has actually done a good job of bolstering the school's overall reputation as well as the endowment.  When it comes to rankings, endowment, alumni support, etc plays a big part and, if anything, Katrina actually encouraged more alum support and giving than is typical.  That being said, I do think the numbers may go down slightly for incoming 1Ls but nothing too dramatic. 

As I stated in a previous post, the law school should be up and running as early as this Spring, so no worries about it being open for Fall '06.  Tulane was, and remains, one of my safety schools (went there for UG), so I'm definitely applying.  It's a great city, too and even before the hurricane, it was pretty safe around the school.  I never felt unsafe and most people are really friendly.  I would say, definitely apply and then go visit the city in March/April/May before you make a decision if you're worried about the condition of NOLA and/or the law school.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
I'm actually more concerned with the professors - who is leaving, who is coming back.  i think this has a bigger impact on reputation and quality of education than my fellow applicants.  but that is just me.  If I decide to apply to any schools this cycle, tulane will likely be among my list--but I still have reservations.  No one else is hesitating or deciding no?

modernlifeiswar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »
didn't U Houston suffer a similar fate sometime in the recent past and plummet down the rankings as a result of the facilities being destroyed?

SkullTatt

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:19:41 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think (1) lots of professors will leave, they won't want to deal with New Orleans at least until everything gets pulled back together. This is based upon 80-90% of my friends who evacuated deciding they are not returning to the city. And (2) Tulane's reputation and ranking both will probably plunge, at least in the short term, that is the cold, hard truth about rankings. It may climb back up quickly or slowly, who knows.

The very fact that all (?) of us who were certain we were going to apply a month or two ago, now have to ask if we are still going to apply. Some people will say yes, lots will say no. Applications will plunge, selectivity will plunge, ranking will plunge.

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »
It may be completely selfish of me, but I decided not to apply, even though I was really gung-ho about it all summer.

My concern is the faculty, too, though someone raised a good point about opportunities to help out in the city.  But, I don't know, law school is hard enough without throwing in the task of re-building a city.

I could apply, and I imagine I would get in because I imagine they are just going to have to be at least slightly less selective, but I am sure I wouldn't go unless I had to.  And I don't want to have to turn Tulane down for another school's offer when I knew it would be that way from the get go, nor do I want to be forced into going there when so much is going on.

This isn't meant as conceited as it's going to sound, but I'd rather not get Tulane's hopes up, if that makes any sense.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 05:20:40 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think (1) lots of professors will leave, they won't want to deal with New Orleans at least until everything gets pulled back together. This is based upon 80-90% of my friends who evacuated deciding they are not returning to the city. And (2) Tulane's reputation and ranking both will probably plunge, at least in the short term, that is the cold, hard truth about rankings. It may climb back up quickly or slowly, who knows.

The very fact that all (?) of us who were certain we were going to apply a month or two ago, now have to ask if we are still going to apply. Some people will say yes, lots will say no. Applications will plunge, selectivity will plunge, ranking will plunge.

#1 may be true. However, it's probably a lot easier for your friends to decide not to return then for a professor with tenured position to pickup and go start at another university.... perhaps having to work for tenure all over again.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

DOJoGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
Also, professors have built their lives in the city as well.  Their children go to schools there, they have friends there, it's their home much like other New Orleanians.  So, some might leave, but I doubt it would be significant enough to drop the rankings on that factor alone.  Maybe I'm being idealistic but I just don't foresee a mass exodus of Tulane professors.

SkullTatt

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 10:49:14 PM »
You are probably being idealistic, but I concede that professors aren't quite as likely to pick up and leave as my friends.

Still, I have read story after story about professionals like dentists, lawyers, doctors, etc. who have already made the decision not to go back. I don't know if there will be an "exodus" of Tulane professors, I don't think anybody knows that. But there has got to be some attrition. And there will probably be virtually no world-class professors who would want to come in and snatch up the vacated positions to fill the void. Instead it will be filled by whomever Tulane can get.

To put this in perspective, I have spent many days hanging around Tulane's campus and I think it is the total cat's meow. It is a great environment for learning and I was/am seriously considering going there. But I am also realistic, you can't sugar coat some of this stuff.