Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with this LR  (Read 237 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Help with this LR
« on: September 17, 2005, 09:51:11 PM »
This one seems tough to me. Can you explain your reasoning.

Politician P: My opponent claims that the government is obliged to raise taxes to increase funding for schools and health care. Because raising taxes to increase funding for schools and health care would make taxpayers upset over their loss of buying power, my opponent is simply mistaken.

Politician P's reasoning is questionable because it involves

(A)  presupposing that a claim is mistaken on the grounds that the person defending it advocates other unpopular views

(B)  assuming that a claim is false on the grounds that the person defending it is of questionable character.

(C)  Concluding that a view is false on the grounds that its implementation would lead to unhappiness

(D)  appealing to wholly irrelevant issues to deflect attention away from the real issue

(E)  insisting that an obligation exists without offering any evidence that it exists

TIA
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

longhorn05

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with this LR
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 10:26:15 PM »
is it C?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 10:34:51 PM »
Yes, but this one seems too obvious. It is just a restatement of the last sentence. Why is it not D. Is not that what he did as well?

Is it the 'wholly irrelevant' language? He did use a periferal(sp?) issue to deflect attention right?

longhorn05

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:45:11 PM »
well i dont really think he's trying to deflect attention from the issue...he's just not addressing the issue but addressing something else.  Also wholly irrelevant is too strong in this case.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 11:11:09 PM »
thanx