Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PRLDEF Law Fair Review  (Read 733 times)

kofasetic

• View Profile
    • Email
PRLDEF Law Fair Review
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
For those who are not familiar with PRLDEF (Puerto Rican Legal Defense League) and the wonderful work they do for the minority or people of color community go here:

http://www.prldef.org/Index.htm

They just had their 23rd annual law school fair in NYC on Sept 17th at Pace University. Overall, the fair was awesome. The discussion regarding the application process, LSAT exam, employment, etc was golden. All the panelist were extremely informative. One of the aspects of the admissions process that was explored was the actual process. For instance, admissions take into account how does your score compare to others from your institution who took the LSAT's. Then once that is determined and similar numbers are calculated for a group of people the panel stressed how vital the personal statement is for the final determination. One suggested to show evidence in your application package to prove what's in your statement. Make it 2 pages, doubled spaced. That's it.

One of the disturbing realities is the median scores of minorities:  mid 140's (national: 150-151). That breakdown from highest to lowest was Asians, Hispanics then African Americans. Most of the reasons given for such poor scores are inadequate test preparation.

The law school fair itself was great. There were some schools who did not bother to send a representative, i.e. Colorado, Univ of Chicago. Most were alumni. Others were students. Still others were admission reps. Here are some of the schools that I did not even think about but now will seriously consider: (These recruit minority students with a passion)
1) Case Western Reserve
2) Hofstra University
3) Northeastern (check out their coop program)
4) University of Maryland (associate dean gives you very practical advice)
5) CUNY ( heavy public interest law; assistant dean will bend over backwards to help in generally all aspects of the admissions process)

(As far as for my original choices, they still stand: SUNY Buffalo, Rutgers@Camden, University of Denver)