Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduate GPA, does it matter?  (Read 2107 times)

TroubleWithLSAT

• View Profile
Graduate GPA, does it matter?
« on: June 25, 2004, 09:31:57 AM »
Do law schools look favorably on candidates who have Masters degrees?

superiorlobe

Re: Graduate GPA, does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:08:31 AM »
In general, I think not.  For some specific cases, yes.  For instance, an M.Phil. received at Oxford after winning a Rhodes Scholarship will probably help you a lot.  A run of the mill masters degree, however, isn't going to make you look better than the guy who spent two years in the Peace Corps or the gal who spent a couple years teaching English in China, or the guy who spent a year working as a waiter and writing a novel.  And even a guy with a bachelors degree who took a bunch of 300-level courses his freshman year and graduated summa cum laude will look better than another guy who took an easy major and then went on for a masters.

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »
basically they could care less. i talked to a half dozen schools and most of them said a masters degree is considered as an extra curricular activity....i kid you not. however one of the schools actually uses an average of the 2 gpa's. but realistically that means very little because there are such fewer credits for a masters.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 11:22:46 AM »
I have to disagree with you guys.

I know that law schools look at UGPA and LSAT score with the most weight, however, I think that the masters degree does make a difference depending on the person, what they are doing, how long they have been out of school, and what they intend to do in law school and what they want to do when they get out of law school.

I think that having a masters degree can not hurt, unless you have a low GPA. But for someone who gets a masters and has a high GPA, the masters degree is another thing to separate them from the people who do not have them. I think in certain situations they can help a person when it comes down to a few people with round about the same credentials.

I think that my masters degree will help me be able to be more specific for what I want out of law school and what I want in the long run. For example, I have a strong UGPA, an ok LSAT score… I took it again and will get the scores on July 6th (pretty confident I went up the 10 points that make most schools ignore my lower LSAT). I want to work in media law, I am working full time as a marketing manager, and I am getting my masters full time at night, will be done in May, so far the GPA is a 4.0. My masters is in public and corporate communications (deals a lot with media, persuasion, advertising, communication, ethics, and so on), this degree can only help me explain why I want to go into media law, what I have already done to become knowledgeable in the field, and what I would like to get out of law school. It will definitely separate me from some of the people who have a good UGPA and a similar LSAT score.

I am only 22, but I would bet someone who has been out of school for a long time and has recently got a masters degree can show that they can still excel in school. People who might have done poorly in Under Grad and 5 years later do phenomenal in grad school can write an addendum to make the claim that they grew up and focused.

I am not saying that the masters degree will get you accepted to Columbia, but I think overall, it makes a difference depending on how you use it to sell yourself to a school. No education is useless, especially when applying to law school. Every little thing separates you from the person next to you.

I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 11:29:03 AM »
the firm i work at hired a ton of summers with grad degrees... doesnt seem to matter what in. theyre kids who before law school got an MA in philosophy, or 2 undergrad degrees in engineering and creative writing, or a BE, or whatever... so thats maybe heartening