Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mention low LSAT score in statement?  (Read 5156 times)

Kelley

Mention low LSAT score in statement?
« on: March 26, 2003, 12:26:27 PM »
For those of you with low lsat scores out there a personal statement (and rec letters) are going to be the major factors if we get in or not.

So, my ? would is how do we go about metioning it in our statements?  Is there anyone out there that has addressed this in their statements?  Thank-you! ;D

em

Re: Mention low LSAT score in statement?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 12:31:03 PM »
I spoke with an assistant dean of admissions who used to be a pre-law adviser, and she specifically said to not discuss a low LSAT score in your personal statement.  Spend time talking about your positives, not negatives.  You can attach an addendum to the application itself with a brief explanation for your low score.  

~Now that's just one law school's opinion, so take it as you will.  

Good luck!

SA

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 09:39:33 AM »
The best application advice that I have received is to focus on your positives in your application.  If there are negatives that you need to mention such as a low GPA during freshman year or a low LSAT score consider attaching a short addendum to your application.  For example I sustained a serious sports injurt the week before finals at the end of my freshman year and I attached a short addendum explaining how this caused my grades to drop and then stated that they improved the following school year.  Again always stress your strengths.

labraham

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Accepted.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 01:38:36 PM »
I agree with the addendum consensus. Keep the personal statement positive and if you have a weakness to address use an addendum.

We have an article at Accepted.com called "Add-ons and Extras: Supplements to Your Application" ( http://www.accepted.com/law/AddOns.aspx#_Addendums_for_Law ) written by a former Duke law admissions officer.  It has a short seciton on addendums.
Good luck1
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com
www.accepted.com
labraham@accepted.com

ruskiegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 02:54:59 PM »
I chose not to discuss it in my file at all.  I wanted the ad comm to focus on the positive aspects of my file, and didn't want to sounds like a whiner.  I wouldn't include an addendum unless there is REALLY good reason why your LSAT is low (ie. death in the family a week before the test, you just found out you have a documented learning disability, etc.)