Law School Discussion

Should I spell it out?

lava

• View Profile
Should I spell it out?
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm working on a diversity statement and I make reference to a group that I was a member of in college.  I feel that my role in the group is clear from the context of the essay, but certain editors of my essay think that I should spell out what the group does (and spell out the long acronym).  Normally, I would agree, but I only have 1 p!  This group is listed and explained on my resume.  Is that not enough?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Should I spell it out?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:09:10 AM »
Is there no way to concisely describe it, even if the description doesn't get 100% of the nuance?  As in, "a group that promotes diversity" or "an anti-racist group," or "a feminist organization," or something like that (something that applies, obviously)?  It shouldn't take up much space if you can do it like that.

lava

• View Profile
Re: Should I spell it out?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:30:26 AM »
I added a 5 word blurb that I think makes it clear enough.  Obviously it's not a mission statement, but I think my role is obvious.  (And if it really isn't all spelled out, would it be so awful if they had to take another glance at my resume if they wanted more info?)  I think I'm keeping it as is..