Law School Discussion

LSAT Prep advice

puss puss

LSAT Prep advice
« on: June 24, 2004, 08:32:26 PM »
How should I prepare for the LSAT?  What worked best for you guys- test prep coures (Princeton, Kaplan), purchasing and practicing LSAT test books on your own, a combination of both?

LSATGuru

Re: LSAT Prep advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:53:55 AM »
Consider TestMasters if PowerScore isn't near your town; it's regarded by most as just as good, and better by others. [Testmasters180.com]

puss puss

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 08:11:01 AM »
I don't think there is a Powerscore or Testmasters place anywhere near where I live or go to school.  We've only got Princeton and Kaplan. 

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 03:01:22 PM »
When you're taking practice tests, I would suggest waking up at the time you'd be taking the real test.  I took a bunch of mine at night and kicked ass, but I'm way more alert at night.  When I took one in the morning, my score fell 8 points from the previous diag.

Also, when you wake up to take the diag, do a couple practice questions (like LR) to warm up your brain.  I noticed that my first section when I took the test in the morning was always my weakest, so I tried warming up with 2 LR questions and by explaining 2 questions to my friend, and then the problem went away.

On the morning of the real test, I woke up at 9:30ish, and was leaving at 11am for the test.  During that hour and a half, I did a games section that I had on my first diag and did a couple LR questions, then I got to the test site about an hour early, so I sat in my car and did some more LR questions, untimed.  In retrospect, I should have done one or two reading passages instead/in addition, because the first section was reading comp, and I hadn't done a timed one for several days.  Everyone else seems to agree that it was the hardest section, but I feel like I could have helped the situation by doing a passage while I was waiting for the test to start.

About courses, I took TestMasters, and I loved them.