Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Prep advice  (Read 1269 times)

puss puss

LSAT Prep advice
« on: June 24, 2004, 10:32:26 PM »
How should I prepare for the LSAT?  What worked best for you guys- test prep coures (Princeton, Kaplan), purchasing and practicing LSAT test books on your own, a combination of both?

$ones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Prep advice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:38:19 PM »
Seems like everyone here loves POWERSCORE prep classes. Buy as many practice exams and do them under exam conditions. This is the absolute most important thing. Also, make sure you spend time going over mistakes you made in your practice exams.

M2

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:05:57 AM »
"10 actual LSAT"
"10 more actual LSAT"
"10 Next actual LSAT"

Preptests #39-42

Powerscore Logic Games Bible
Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (when it comes out in July)
Nova's Master the LSAT

Optional: Powerscore full or weekend course.

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 09:53:55 AM »
Consider TestMasters if PowerScore isn't near your town; it's regarded by most as just as good, and better by others. [Testmasters180.com]

puss puss

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:11:01 AM »
I don't think there is a Powerscore or Testmasters place anywhere near where I live or go to school.  We've only got Princeton and Kaplan. 

M2

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 12:28:27 PM »
I don't think there is a Powerscore or Testmasters place anywhere near where I live or go to school.  We've only got Princeton and Kaplan. 

You should call or email them to find out...you never know

LSATGuru

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 02:59:55 PM »
Consider taking the weekend course ans traveling to the closest town near you that offers the weekend section of either TM or PS.

You can also buy PowerScore's materials for $600, but I would just get PS's "Logic Games Bible" and "Logical Reasoning Bible (coming out in late July)."  I found Logic Games Bible to be invaluable.

Like the previous poster said, make sure you buy all three "Actual LSAT" publications by LSAC.org.  Jeff Kolby's "Master the LSAT" is good.  The big improvement comes from doing section after section, practice test after practice test.  Just don't get burnt out--doing 5 practice tests a week will hinder more than help you.

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:24 AM »
I would do the Princeton Review course.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 05:01:22 PM »
When you're taking practice tests, I would suggest waking up at the time you'd be taking the real test.  I took a bunch of mine at night and kicked ass, but I'm way more alert at night.  When I took one in the morning, my score fell 8 points from the previous diag.

Also, when you wake up to take the diag, do a couple practice questions (like LR) to warm up your brain.  I noticed that my first section when I took the test in the morning was always my weakest, so I tried warming up with 2 LR questions and by explaining 2 questions to my friend, and then the problem went away.

On the morning of the real test, I woke up at 9:30ish, and was leaving at 11am for the test.  During that hour and a half, I did a games section that I had on my first diag and did a couple LR questions, then I got to the test site about an hour early, so I sat in my car and did some more LR questions, untimed.  In retrospect, I should have done one or two reading passages instead/in addition, because the first section was reading comp, and I hadn't done a timed one for several days.  Everyone else seems to agree that it was the hardest section, but I feel like I could have helped the situation by doing a passage while I was waiting for the test to start.

About courses, I took TestMasters, and I loved them.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?