Law School Discussion

Financial Aid???

Financial Aid???
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:14:05 PM »
How do law schools judge students when considering them for scholarships and financial aid?  Specifically, many schools say they award scholarships based on merit and demonstrated need.  When looking at a student's needs, are schools examining the student's parents?

It would seem to me that most incoming law school students would not have much money of their own, with the possible exception being Northwestern.  Therefore, I would think that most students would have obvious demonstrated financial needs.  How, then, do law schools award money to all these "needy" people?

jeb240

Re: Financial Aid???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:54:12 PM »
Even though they still use the FAFSA, which does not require your parents' info when you are entering law school, all of the schools have their own forms as well which do require your parents' info.

They are assuming, like ugrads do (much to my chagrin), that lots of students will get at least some help from their parents.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: Financial Aid???
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »
The process and criteria of financial aid really does vary between law schools.

For law schools that award scholarships/grants based on financial aid, most all look at both the student's and parents' financial situation. Loan eligibility is basically the same for all schools as far as stafford loan and private loan eligibility.

As far as merit, it is basically GPA/LSAT based (mostly LSAT).