Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA in community college  (Read 975 times)

ian6244

• View Profile
    • Email
GPA in community college
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:01:19 PM »
Hi!!

I stayed in a community college as freshman and sophomore before i finish my junior and senior in university

will LSAC also calculate at my community college(freshman,shophomore)GPA, becuase it is slightly higher than univeristy GPA, i am about 3.0 GPA at university...which is not that decent..

also, will a CS major in top 20 give u a better chance into IP law school??     

Thank you very much and have a nice night

LaneSwerver

Re: GPA in community college
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 10:06:10 PM »
LSAC require transcripts from any and all undergraduate institutions you've attended. They lump all of your grades together and calculate it as one GPA.

I don't know the answer to your other question, but through conjecture I would assume that CS would make it easier for you to ultimately find a job in IP and pass the Patent Bar (if you had a pile of science) but not get you into school.

grendel20

• imma boy.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calvintomyhobbes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 11:06:21 PM »
I went to a CC too....... I think they do lump em together....

At first I thought it might have been a downfall for law school, but CC with URM status I'm hoping that'll somewhat make me unique as an applicant....

itsmegark

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 11:18:43 PM »
Hi!!

I stayed in a community college as freshman and sophomore before i finish my junior and senior in university

will LSAC also calculate at my community college(freshman,shophomore)GPA, becuase it is slightly higher than univeristy GPA, i am about 3.0 GPA at university...which is not that decent..

also, will a CS major in top 20 give u a better chance into IP law school??     

Thank you very much and have a nice night

What is a IP lawschool?  Lawschools that are known for its IP programs?  Like Boalt?
The problem is, no matter what undergrad you went to and what major you majored in, poor GPA will not help period. 

I don't know exactly what these IP law schools are.  All law schools have set curriculum for freshmans, namely, contracts, property, con law, crim law, civil procedure, and others. 

To make long story short.  Poor GPA from even Harvard will not help you.

daGCHILD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 03:42:33 AM »
Does anyone know if law schools weigh your univeristy gpa higher than ur community college gpa? also what about major gpa? Also, what if you got a D and replaced it with an A...do they take both grades or the higher one? Anyone know? thanks

XYZZY

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:39:44 AM »
Does anyone know if law schools weigh your univeristy gpa higher than ur community college gpa? also what about major gpa? Also, what if you got a D and replaced it with an A...do they take both grades or the higher one? Anyone know? thanks

no
no
both if reported on transcript
yes people know (that was your first question)  ;)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:40:40 AM »
I think they take the first grade regardless if it is lower or higher or your school's policy.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 09:25:05 AM »
It's my understanding that law schools will take your school into consideration when looking at your GPA.  This example is a little extreme but there is a significant difference between a 3.5 from Harvard and a 3.5 from HometownUSA Community College.  I imagine that in some form they take these factors into account when you have two GPAs from two institutions.

cogent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 02:01:41 PM »
I've looked into this, because I spent two years at a less prestigious school before I transfered up.  Of course you have to send them all your transcripts of everything you've ever attempted, which will usually make any course forgiveness you've done worthless.  But the LSDAS plays with this data a bunch.  One thing I know they do is show the average LSAT of testtakers from your school while you were there next to your cum GPA.  This is supposed to help show how 'hard' your school is, figuring if everyone's scoring 180's than it's harder to get that A than if everyones scoring 140's. 

Also... It's been shown that Boalt Hall once computed their index numbers by giving weight to your particular school.  IF you google this you'll probably find it eventually, it was in the news and stuff.  For example, Boalt gave the Swarthmore kids a bunch of extra points because grading is so notoriously hard there, and the chico state kids lost points off their gpa.  This caused a big stir when boalt was outed, but thats not to say schools don't still do this sort of thing...

itsmegark

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 04:18:36 PM »
Sure, even though they deny any systematic discrimination against particular schools, the adcomm could just have it in their minds.  They could later say, "we evaluated the OVERALL quality of the student."