Law School Discussion

Washington University at St. Louis... hopefuls?

TomServo

• We are our own photographer!
    • ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=TomServo
Re: Washington University at St. Louis... hopefuls?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:03 AM »
Oh great... just when I've grown accustomed to transplanted New Yorkers saying they have to stand "on line" instead of "in line", I'm about to become the transplanted Angelino who says "The 405" and "The 101".

I refuse to indicate the type of highway, though.  I'll never be a "I-70" or "State route 44" kind of guy.  This creates quite the predicament.

Wait- I've got it.  I'll just buy a Segway and take NO highways.  That'll really help me "fit in".   ;D

allyreese

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:12 AM »
That reminds me, I'd love to get a Prius... you can drive in the HOV, get 60 mpg, and get a massive tax credit.  I wonder how a Prius would handle a rough winter?  And how much snow does St. Louis usually get?  Just a bit?  I grew up in Ohio, so I can't differentiate where it got snowy and where it didn't.

Oooh, I very much want a Prius as well, a blue one, but i definitely can't afford right now, this is pretty much as good as the plan gets right now -> Step 1 - Ace LSAT Step 2 - <<Shrug>>  Step 3 - buy Prius and be happy

As for winter in St. Louis (I grew up mostly in Minnesota) it's really not so bad... rarely more than a couple of inches at a time and mostly it's taken care of pretty quickly... when it does snow you have to be more careful of other drivers since nobody is really used to it, but the roads themselves aren't bad...

More annoying (weatherwise) is the fact that the stupid electric company has yet to bury it's lines so every time there's a storm it's likely your power will go out and stay out for days... stupid ameren... but that's really only in the summer and i think they're going to have to fix it before the public storms their offices and guillotines somebody.

TomServo

• ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 10:19:29 AM »
What I wouldn't give to have a few days with no power.

We had a major blackout in LA a week ago, and everyone was forced to actually TALK to each other, rather than send snarky ICQ's and weblinks of folks with elephantitis. 

Of course, I'm a System Administrator by day, so no power = no computers.  Once I'm in LS, it'll just mean I get more time to brief my cases and plot against my fellow classmates.  Except you guys, you'll be in on the scheme. 

Then again, I could plot against the dean, you know, put his shorts up the flagpole because he's always got it out for my frat brothers, that sorta thing.

gailrules

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 10:20:32 AM »
Or you could just go study.

And I'm not your competition anyway!  ;)

TomServo

• ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
Alright, so... here's another big question for you St. Louisians...  what about food?  Living in LA, I'm a stone's throw from every kind of food you can imagine, and tasty.

Getting past Ted Drewe's and obligatory Italian places, how well represented are Greek, Thai, Indian, Japanese (Sushi or otherwise)?  Am I to expect excellence on all levels?

allyreese

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »
Alright, so... here's another big question for you St. Louisians...  what about food?  Living in LA, I'm a stone's throw from every kind of food you can imagine, and tasty.

Getting past Ted Drewe's and obligatory Italian places, how well represented are Greek, Thai, Indian, Japanese (Sushi or otherwise)?  Am I to expect excellence on all levels?

I can name at least one very good restaurant for each of those cuisines... really, thre's pretty much anything you want, and you can good quality, there's probably just less quantity, fewer restaurants... you just have to be willing to look around... also St. Louis has some random pockets of diversity that you wouldn't expect (for ex. there's a large bosnian population)... living near Wash U though would put you close to pretty much every kind of good food action, simply because that student population, especially combined with the med school, is pretty cosmopolitan and diverse...

allyreese

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 04:14:15 PM »
http://www.saucecafe.com/

check out that site for more about st. louis food...

TomServo

• ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 04:23:24 PM »
Thanks for the resource, Ally.

I kind of assumed that would be the case, but the only folks I know there now are quasi-uptight Catholic types who really aren't into worldly chow. 

I generally prefer to cook myself, but until I figure out how to master Thai sticky rice, I'm stuck with going out now and again.  ;)

gailrules

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »
It's all about the Pasta House.

And Steak n' Shake.

TomServo

• ICQ Messenger - 814749
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 12:51:09 PM »
Pasta House is coming up in conversation far too much.  They do have good bread, though.

Steak and Shake is groovy, but being an original Ohioan(tm) I find their chili spaghetti lacking compared to the Cincinnati chili (Gold Star and Skyline) of the eastier Midwest.  It'll do in a pinch, I suppose.

You really make good sticky rice in a rice cooker?  Do you toss some sugar water combination or something in there to sweeten it up and solidify it?  I realize this is a very specific discussion, but if it works, you're all invited over for Pad Thai, sticky rice, and Thai tea. 

jsia  (my first)