Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prof wants *me* to write *him* a recommendation!  (Read 3502 times)

superiorlobe

prof wants *me* to write *him* a recommendation!
« on: June 24, 2004, 03:04:55 PM »
So I was a little concerned about getting a good letter from one particular professor I had in grad school.  Just yesterday he sent me an email asking if I would be willing to write him a letter of recommendation.  Wow.  I agreed and told him I would write him a FANTASTIC letter.

I'm going to feel a little weird turning around six weeks later and asking him for a LOR in return.  Any ideas on how I should approach this unusual situation?

Ginatio

Re: prof wants *me* to write *him* a recommendation!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 03:56:05 PM »
He's probably in the process of getting tenure, and needs student recommendations to submit to the tenure committee--not that unusual, actually.

Since he's banking on a recommendation from you for tenure, he no doubt thinks highly of you; but, in order to avoid a future conflict of interest, I'd suggest telling him upfront that you will probably need a letter of recommendation from him sometime in the near future, and if he feels comfortable giving you one considering you're about to write him one.

So I was a little concerned about getting a good letter from one particular professor I had in grad school.  Just yesterday he sent me an email asking if I would be willing to write him a letter of recommendation.  Wow.  I agreed and told him I would write him a FANTASTIC letter.

I'm going to feel a little weird turning around six weeks later and asking him for a LOR in return.  Any ideas on how I should approach this unusual situation?

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:10:58 PM »

Ginatio, Please Dont feed the trolls

He's probably in the process of getting tenure, and needs student recommendations to submit to the tenure committee--not that unusual, actually.

Since he's banking on a recommendation from you for tenure, he no doubt thinks highly of you; but, in order to avoid a future conflict of interest, I'd suggest telling him upfront that you will probably need a letter of recommendation from him sometime in the near future, and if he feels comfortable giving you one considering you're about to write him one.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 04:14:16 PM »
you don't think he's being serious?

Ginatio, Please Dont feed the trolls

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 04:14:22 PM »
No no, this is a really happening to me.  Probably nothing I can say that will convince you, but I decided to stand up for myself nevertheless.

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »
he has made it clear that his primary motive for posting is to solicit attention.  I would characterize this as being a troll.

superiorlobe

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 04:32:55 PM »
This is ludicrous.  I write asking for advice about a legitimate situation pertaining to law school admissions.  I post in the correct forum and state my case plainly without using any incendiary language.  How is this being a troll?  By your definition anyone who posts anything in the hopes of getting a response would qualify as a troll.

In actual fact you just don't like some of my other posts for some reason and are therefore trying to spike me whenever possible, no matter how sensible or legitimate the topic.  This is by far the more trollish behavior.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 04:37:15 PM »
You made statements several times that clearly indicated you were posting for the sole purpose of getting others to respond and/or talk about you.  the distinction here is you were not interested in what these people had to say in response, just that you get a response of some kind.

troll.

This is ludicrous.  I write asking for advice about a legitimate situation pertaining to law school admissions.  I post in the correct forum and state my case plainly without using any incendiary language.  How is this being a troll?  By your definition anyone who posts anything in the hopes of getting a response would qualify as a troll.

In actual fact you just don't like some of my other posts for some reason and are therefore trying to spike me whenever possible, no matter how sensible or legitimate the topic.  This is by far the more trollish behavior.

superiorlobe

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 04:41:29 PM »
I have made humorous statements on other boards in the past.  However, this post is completely legitimate.  If I am trolling, then the only person biting is you. Ironically, I would appreciate it if you would stop biting, delete your posts from this thread, and go away.  That way people who have an interest in discussing my situation with me won't have to deal with your blather.

nathanielmark

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 04:43:40 PM »
sorry troll.  people have a right to know that they should not waste their time responding to you.

I have made humorous statements on other boards in the past.  However, this post is completely legitimate.  If I am trolling, then the only person biting is you. Ironically, I would appreciate it if you would stop biting, delete your posts from this thread, and go away.  That way people who have an interest in discussing my situation with me won't have to deal with your blather.