Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I would like to be enlightened about the realities for a guy 47 years old, will  (Read 1980 times)

FeelingBulletproof

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm 45. I have a part-time job that pays well but is not exactly intellectually stimulating, and the kids are getting old enough that I can start thinking full-time again. I know I want to go to law school, know I don't want to work at a sweat shop firm if I were ever offered the chance, and can't help wondering if there's a job at the end of the law school journey that will make that huge expenditure worthwhile. I lke real estate issues-- my hobby is buying, rehabbing and selling or renting out yucky houses in nice neighborhoods. Anyone have any thoughts??

Grem

• View Profile
I am a current 1L evening student and also turned 45 this summer. Between school, working full time, and dealing with the wife/kids, life has become quite busy. On the other hand, I am really enjoying the experience. I have no illusions that the big-law firms will be lining up to hire me, but I am convinced that the degree will open enough additional doors and opportunities to justify the expense. I believe the key for people in our age group is to capitalize on our existing contacts and relationships that we have built up over the years. My goal is to break into the arbitration/mediation arena. I assume that will take me at least five years, once I pass the BAR.
"When faced with conflict, never sink to the other person's level........Go at least three steps lower!"