Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC Mayoral Race  (Read 794 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
NYC Mayoral Race
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:29:14 AM »
So as I write this post, Fernando Ferrer is just hundreths of a percentage of votes from being declared the winner of the NYC Democratic primary for the mayoral race.  Anthony Weiner has 29%, and Virginia Fields and Gifford Miller have dropped out of the race.  My question to you is: Does any of this matter?  Bloomberg's ratings are very high, and the
Democrats all seem weak.  I am a registered independent (if I were to join a party, it would most likely be the Republican party, because being able to vote in Republican primaries is more important to me than voting in Democratic primaries, plus I generally lean toward classical liberalism politically).  However, my parents are both registered Democrats, but haven't voted for a Democrat for the Mayoral race in the last 12 years (not since Dinkins).  They didn't vote for any candidates in the primary yesterday because they knew they were going to vote for Bloomberg regardless of who the Democratic opponent would be.  This kind of thought seems prevelant among many NYC Democrats.  Thoughts?  Opinions?
Yale.Law.School.2010

FactChecker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Mayoral Race
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:01:32 AM »
Makes sense ... didn't Bloomberg change his party affiliation from Democrat to Republican shortly before the 2001 race?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 11:30:34 AM »
Yeah, he did, which was an incredibly ingenius and ultimately winning strategy. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

FactChecker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:52:56 PM »
Yeah, he did, which was an incredibly ingenius and ultimately winning strategy. 

It also made for good ironic humor when he spoke at the Republican convention during the 2004 campaign, saying "we are all so fortunate to be Republicans."  Hah.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »
So as I write this post, Fernando Ferrer is just hundreths of a percentage of votes from being declared the winner of the NYC Democratic primary for the mayoral race. Anthony Weiner has 29%, and Virginia Fields and Gifford Miller have dropped out of the race. My question to you is: Does any of this matter? Bloomberg's ratings are very high, and the
Democrats all seem weak. I am a registered independent (if I were to join a party, it would most likely be the Republican party, because being able to vote in Republican primaries is more important to me than voting in Democratic primaries, plus I generally lean toward classical liberalism politically). However, my parents are both registered Democrats, but haven't voted for a Democrat for the Mayoral race in the last 12 years (not since Dinkins). They didn't vote for any candidates in the primary yesterday because they knew they were going to vote for Bloomberg regardless of who the Democratic opponent would be. This kind of thought seems prevelant among many NYC Democrats. Thoughts? Opinions?

this is great...the mostly democratic nyc will have a republican mayor once again...irony.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

FactChecker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »
Can you really call it irony if the guy is a moderate Democrat who changed parties right before the 2001 NYC mayoral race?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 01:07:04 PM »
yes it is irony...bloomy supports the president...this irks the dems in nyc...and they voted for bloomy.

silly rabbits...tricks are for kids...irony.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • great grandpa mccain = warmonger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »
putz.
if want "change," stop following republicans off cliff.