Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alcohol at law school?  (Read 1592 times)

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alcohol at law school?
« on: September 13, 2005, 02:14:17 PM »
I'm just curious if this is standard practice...  for the first day of Orientation, the law school had a beer and wine open bar on campus.  Clubs bring kegs into the law school all of the time.  If you brought a keg onto my undergrad campus, you should back your house up because you won't be around long.  This seems odd to me, but maybe it's a law school thing I'm not familar with?
USD 2L

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol at law school?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 02:20:02 PM »
Law schools very frequently hold cocktail parties and have alcohol readily available at gatherings.  Since most law students are adults, there is nothing wrong with providing alcohol to the students.  At my undergrad some of the departments provide alcohol during the annual school wide barbecue, and no one thinks twice of it, even with most students being underage.  The thinking is that we are mature enough to handle it, and it provides a relaxed environment on a relaxed day.  Even though I don't drink, I don't feel ostracized as a result of it during these get-togethers, and I'm sure the same holds true for these law school activities.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Lucky77

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »
Judging by your screen name, I assume you went to U of Arizona for undergrad school, as do I right now. Rest assured, UA is incredibly anal in terms of alcohol.. way past the point of annoyance. Luckily, the rest of the world and colleges are not.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 04:55:51 PM »
UVa has "keg in the quad" every thursday afternoon. I recall that UCLA has a similar arrangement.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
At BU, the students have been drinking like fish.  Orientation week was basically one huge bar hop with some speeches mixed in between.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

raider1218

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:44:36 PM »
My school doesn't provide alcohol at any  events as part of a larger university policy about school officials serving alcohol at school sanctioned functions.  After orientation I was wondering where the alcohol was.  Then, much to my disappointment, I read that policy. 

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 07:15:59 PM »
UVa has "keg in the quad" every thursday afternoon. I recall that UCLA has a similar arrangement.

Forgot about dandelion as well. Mucho Boozfest.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:16:57 PM »
Most students are in their early to mid 20s.  Whats the best way to get people this age to go anywhere?  The promise of free booze!  And (for the most part, at least), we're mature enough to handle it. 
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 08:35:20 PM »
WUSTL's law school building is called Anheuser-Busch Hall.  I think they are pretty accepting of beer up there.   :D

Yeah, when I toured WUSTL they told us about how they have a happy hour every Friday afternoon and invited us to join, though we had to leave.  Plus, AB Hall provides myriad opportunities for bar exam jokes   ::)

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 09:54:35 PM »
alcohol being provided at campus events was a very common occurence at my undergrad, but of course I went to Tulane, and in Nola the rules were a little different..

In the undergrad business school, there would be events a few times per semester called TGIT (thank god its thursday), that would involve kegs and usually food (pizza, crawfish, whatever) on the porch at the b-school building, open to all undergrad business students. i can't imagine this sort of thing went on everywhere, though...