Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sound Advice Requested  (Read 660 times)

gsh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Sound Advice Requested
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:14:55 PM »
Ok so I'm registered to take the LSAT October 1st, but was thinking of delaying the test until December 3rd.  I'm taking 23 semester hours at the moment (my last semester in undergrad) and think its getting in the way of the October test.  My question is this:  If I take the DEcember test, do you guys think I'll be at a severe disadvantage in getting into the schools I'm applying to: T14s, and some others.  My UGPA is a 3.7 and, for whatever they're worth, practice test scores of 168,171,172,174,172,173.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

loveless

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 247
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »
Will it be that much better with the December test? Wouldn't that interfere with final exam preparation?
"Pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good."

Attending: Michigan.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loveless

gsh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Actually my final exam schedule is relatively light this semester because I have mostly papers to turn in for final exams rather than traditional tests.  Also, final exams are about two weekd after the test.......

HairMetalRulz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 69
  • its 5 o clock somewhere
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »
I would suggest going for the October LSAT.  I might even slack on my classes over the next few weeks just a little bit to prepare.  You will have plenty of time to recover, and those grades aren't going to affect your GPA a whole lot.  Just my advice, because I prefer to get stuff out of the way.  But I think you should probably assess what you need to get done between now and the LSAT and make a decision ASAP so you can focus on one or the other.

I don't think your chances will be severely affected by taking the December test, but I don't think its optimal either.
161, 3.64.... fingers crossed for something, anything really
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tfateach

gsh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 56
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks, I greatly appreciate your advice....alot of things to think about.

InVinoVeritas

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 5550
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:52:22 PM »
i ended up taking the Dec. test last cycle and i think i was slightly disadvantaged for doing so.  i managed to get most of my apps in before the end of the year, but i have a hunch i may have fared a little better had i sent apps in earlier.  if you think you can manage it successfully, take the test in Oct.

verbal213

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 539
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:24:08 AM »
Ok so I'm registered to take the LSAT October 1st, but was thinking of delaying the test until December 3rd.  I'm taking 23 semester hours at the moment (my last semester in undergrad) and think its getting in the way of the October test.  My question is this:  If I take the DEcember test, do you guys think I'll be at a severe disadvantage in getting into the schools I'm applying to: T14s, and some others.  My UGPA is a 3.7 and, for whatever they're worth, practice test scores of 168,171,172,174,172,173.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Well, assuming your practice tests are based on real test conditions, ie timed, etc, it looks like you're ready now, unless you aren't happy with those scores  :).  I'd say keep a lighter schedule of LSAT prep from now on and go for the Oct test.  Delaying it could hurt you by overstudying/stressing about it, plus seats will be filling up by the time schools get your score.  I don't know what school allows you to take 23 hours, seems ridiculous, so I don't know how rigorous the classes are.  But, based on what you said, I would take the Oct test.

hth
verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

SkullTatt

  • Guest
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 06:33:54 PM »
Yeah... sh*t... unless your goal is breaking 175 or something, I would just take it now and get it over with.

Celestial Vertigo

  • Guest
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:41:14 PM »
Take it now! If you are not happy with your score (and your practices look good) you still have time to retake!

John Galt

  • Guest
Re: Sound Advice Requested
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:21:58 PM »
The thing I see is that 3.7. I'd get the LSAT out of the way. With your practice scores, I'm almost positive you'll get into somewhere before Christmas. If you wait until December however, you risk your fall grades becoming an issue (could lower your gpa). I'd take now. If your grades raise your GPA then that becomes a positive factor nonetheless after christmas. Taking now would be the safe thing to do IMO