Law School Discussion

Cannot seem to sit still

One More

Cannot seem to sit still
« on: September 12, 2005, 01:13:53 PM »
so i was taking a practice test this morning, and couldn't finish it.....i had completed the first two sections and instead of continuing i flipped to the end of the test to see what problems i had answered correctly.....

this has been a problem of mine before and since i'm self-studying this time around it's a lot easier to blow off my practice tests (not having any that are proctored)

any suggestions???

i'm planning to sit in dec so hopefully i can get this under control by then,  :-[

Re: Cannot seem to sit still
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:55:26 PM »
I don't think there's anything very wrong with taking some timed practice tests one section at a time and then scoring the section before going on to the next one. As long as you time the individual section, you still are training yourself for the pressure you'll experience on LSAT day. Of course, it would be best to do your last few timed practice tests uninterrupted, with a fifth section.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 02:02:20 PM »
The LSAT is boring! Of course you can't sit still!!!  :D

Seriously, though. You're understandably curious to know how you're doing after each question, and that's not a bad thing. You don't need to time your initial tests; just get comfortable with the questions, format, what they're looking for, what you're doing right and wrong (read all the answer explanations you have, or ask in the forums for help there), and keep practicing. By the third or fourth test, start timing yourself or at least completing the LSAT in one sitting with only normal test center breaks.

And don't eat a mound of sugar just before practicing! LOL.

One More

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:11:52 PM »
thanks, and i guess i could look at it like training for a marathon....

snikrep

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:22:12 PM »
Yeah, I think about 80% of the test is just mentally getting situated.  I've felt a lot better lately just by mentally telling myself, "There's no place I'd rather be than here" and just relaxing, and focusing on the test.  I noticed when I would think about what I would do AFTER the test, I would lose concentration a lot easier.  My focus has greatly improved just by doing some little thought prep like that (heh, sounds cheesy - but it really works for me).

A week ago I tried to take it Sunday night and just hit a mental block... couldn't get past the first section, it just wasn't there.  I just gave up and rested for a day - that helped and it hasn't happened since.  You might just need a break, just like exercise let your mind recover after you push it.