Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to London, Dublin, Barcelona...  (Read 2053 times)

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
Going to London, Dublin, Barcelona...
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:52:32 PM »
Aside from the obvious tourist traps, I'd be interested in whether any of you out there had any off-the-beaten path recommendations...

bars? clubs? hot spots? anything else?
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

twilght68

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going to London, Dublin, Barcelona...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 01:53:11 AM »
take the train about an hour north of barcelona to figures - dali's hometown where he designed himself a museum out of an old theater- it's absolutely amazing. also make sure you check out the gaudi architecture in barcelona. have a gereat trip!

whiteal6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 11:13:01 AM »
If you want something different and unusual, go on one of the haunted tours in London.  I know that sounds gay, but they are really very interesting. It shows you where Jack the Ripper victims were found, and where hundreds of plague victims died.  Well worth the money.  Even better tours like that are in Edinburgh, if you make it up that far north.

thinknpositive

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:16:43 AM »
Aside from the obvious tourist traps, I'd be interested in whether any of you out there had any off-the-beaten path recommendations...

bars? clubs? hot spots? anything else?

This place is off the wall!

http://www.thechurch.co.uk/

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:16:49 AM »
nice... we're now giving travel advice... i want in!!!

anyone been to the Tuscany area (primarily Florence) in Italy? going there for 2 weeks in Sept. and would love any suggestions and advice...

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 11:26:14 AM »
Thanks all.  Will let you know how it goes...I don't plan on straying to far from net access...

Quaker
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

whiteal6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »
nice... we're now giving travel advice... i want in!!!

anyone been to the Tuscany area (primarily Florence) in Italy? going there for 2 weeks in Sept. and would love any suggestions and advice...

I was in Florence last year.  You are going to love it- absolutely beautiful.  Then again, I went in the dead of winter and it wasn't at all crowded, so you might have a different opinion just based on the crowds you'll encounter.  I basically just went to all of the major tourist attractions because we were only there for two days.  I'm sure you'll find a lot more interesting things to see than I did since you'll be there for two weeks. It's very expensive to get in to see the Statue of David, and I considered not going in, but it was worth the money once I did. 

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 11:42:43 AM »
i was in london 2 weeks ago...or was it last week...i forget.  but i cant tell you anything because i was couped up in either an office or my hotel room.

all i know is that i hate that damn city.  bad teeth, bad breath, and bad weather.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 12:47:31 PM »
Stay the hell away from a seafood restaurant in Barcelona called Salamanca. 8 people=$600. Ouch.

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 01:02:14 PM »
Spent a semester in London, and there's definitely no shortage of things to do.  If you like American-style clubs and are there over a weekend, Rouge (West End on Charing Cross Road) and Purple (underneath Stamford Bridge at the border of Chelsea and Fulham) aren't bad.  If you like trance and underground, DEFEINTELY check out Turnmills and Fabric, both of which are in the East End.

There are also walking tours of different sections of London, which white alluded to.  The most popular of those are the Jack the Ripper walk and the Beatles walk.