Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is LEEWS a load of crap?  (Read 1858 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
is LEEWS a load of crap?
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:18:16 PM »
ok, so ive read a few posts on this site about LEEWS (http://www.leews.com/) and im not sure what to think...

in reading the LEEWS website, it almost sounds like one of those get-rich-quick deals: "EARN THE As THAT YOU DISERVE WITHOUT DOING ANY WORK...."

has anyone taken this course? im i just missing the point here?

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: is LEEWS a load of crap?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:26:12 PM »
Heard only good things about it. Already ordered it, but haven't gotten to it yet.

dta

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 06:34:18 PM »
hey eee - yeah, i had to hold my nose when looking at the website. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be getting it except that it was recommended reading/listening from PLS 2. And actually, I'm not going to purchase it yet. I'm going to get Delaney's book on examsmanship (forgot the name) and see if I feel I still need LEEWS after that.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 06:51:01 PM »
hey dta,

and yeah, i guess that is part of my concern... PLSII recommends LEEWS and LEEWS recommends PLSII. maybe im just overly cynical, but it seems a little shady... like the makers of Miracle Blade endorsing the Food Dehydrator and vice versa. i just wish i had an obviously unbiased source.

at this point i feel like i could spend as much on law school prep material as i am on law school itself. im almost about ready to just say screw it and bank on my own study habits.

ryckmansboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 08:06:23 PM »
LEEWS is really good.  I went through the audio tapes several times during my first semester of law school, and I ended up in the top 10%.  They're not overly boring, and they really SHOW you what professors are looking for on exams.  The tapes are well worth the $125, or whatever they charge these days.

I was not compensated for this endorsement, and PLS is a load of horseshit, IMO.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 11:34:49 PM »
hey ryckmansboy,

well, so im thinking about ordering the tapes... just a few questions about what exactly LEEWS is, though...

is this an all-or-none process or can i take bits and pieces of it and combine it with other strategies?

is it radically different from the typical way of studying?

do you feel that you actually learned the law as well as you could have otherwise or is this more of a shortcut to a guaranteed A?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 08:53:09 AM »
Yeah...I really don't know if it's worth it or not- again, it doesn't seem like anything I couldn't figure out on my own.  I already know the exam is all that counts, and that you need to know black-letter law for the exam.  Can't see it having  huge, profound revelations on law school that I haven't heard elsewhere/from other students

Also, eee...don't worry about it- acording to their website:

Basic Truth -- In terms of predicting whether you may have this knack (and therefore not need LEEWS) it may be noted that 1Ls with math and hard science backgrounds seem disproportionately to do well in law school.  (So much for the popular myth in law school that doing well requires being a "good writer.")  Why?
We think because they are in the habit of thinking closely and logically, and presenting their thinking concisely -- which gives them an edge in performing and concisely presenting "lawyerlike analysis" on exams.

;D

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:09:18 AM »
The other real doubt I have about LEEWS's claims of results is that there's a very likely chance that the reason they can claim so much success is by self-selection.  Those who are willing to take an extra $100-some dollar class on their own during the summer are generally the type who are going to work harder in law school.  There's no knowing whether that work ethic alone is the reason that LEEWS students do so well.

With that said, I'm still thinking of checking it out if I can find a cheap old copy or something.  I'm just interested in what the whole thing is about, and if there maybe is some groundbreaking things that I wouldn't have thought of.

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 09:17:41 AM »
I have purchased LEEWS based on internet posts I have read along with PLSII's endorsement.  I will let you know if a few weeks.
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:20:15 AM »
farnsworth,

exactly what i was thinking... except that there are a bunch of testimonials from people who did one semester w/out LEEWS and got dominated and then took it and had a kick-ass 2nd semester. so at least there is some sort of control group in there (though yes, there are still problems with the statistics even in these cases but its better than nothing).

i guess my feeling is this:

if this is just a course on how to take exams, then im all for it. but if it is going to totally screw up my study habits then im more cautious. i happen to have a lot of faith in my abilities to learn the law on my own and im apprehensive about doing anything radical... especially when the course recommends "time saving" techniques... im not there to find the most efficient way to get an A. im there to learn how to be the best possible lawyer AND get an A... even if it does take more time.

would anyone who has/is taking LEEWS care to comment? am i totally off base here?

The other real doubt I have about LEEWS's claims of results is that there's a very likely chance that the reason they can claim so much success is by self-selection.  Those who are willing to take an extra $100-some dollar class on their own during the summer are generally the type who are going to work harder in law school.  There's no knowing whether that work ethic alone is the reason that LEEWS students do so well.

With that said, I'm still thinking of checking it out if I can find a cheap old copy or something.  I'm just interested in what the whole thing is about, and if there maybe is some groundbreaking things that I wouldn't have thought of.