Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I can already tell...  (Read 2258 times)

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I can already tell...
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:34:42 PM »
Law school is hell.  I mean, it is just the third day and I keep hearing it will get better, but really...  I'm not sure I believe that.

All of you prelaws out there, be forewarned.

And the funniest thing of all is that it's not like I go to a mean, evil school.  I go to Yale - the shiny, happy, pleasant school with no grades and where everyone's really nice!  And truthfully, everyone is nice.  Couldn't ask to do this with better people.

But it's still law school.  And even if there aren't grades, there is still the desire to refrain from embarrassing oneself in front of peers and professors.  Prelaws, think long and hard about what you're willing to put yourself through for a JD.  Graduate school is always an option.  Consider an MBA or MPP.  And nothing is wrong with getting out into the workforce.  You learn more from the real world anyway.

Yours in legal scholarship,
mobell

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: I can already tell...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 10:51:27 PM »
Fundamentally, everyone posting on this board is a masochist. I doubt your post will have much of an effect. We KNOW it's going to be painful; and we WANT it. Badly.

:D
Who's your Daddy now?

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
 Actually, I do the inflicting of pain upon the likes of you people. ;D
Back in the saddle again.

lawschoolfeign

• Sr. Citizen
  • What is Impossible for man is Possible for God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 03:30:52 PM »
Law school definitely is a form of hell but at the same time it's not that that bad.  I mean there's a lot of work (probably read more in this first week than in half a semester of undergrad) but it's definitely manageable.  Here at Mich, everyone is soooo nice, professors and students alike, and there's really a cooperative attitude, like we're all in this together and that really helps.  Establishing meaningful friendships in the beginning is extremely important.  The only people who can understand what a law student is going through is someone who is going through it too or who's been there.  So connecting with people in your predicament can be really beneficial.

Anyone that thinks this is an extension of college is sadly mistaken! The biggest difference between law school and undergrad is that there really just isn't anytime to waist.  Gone are the days that you could spend 2hrs IMin and then quickly read your assignments for the night.  Here at Mich, we have 3 classes everyday (not counting legal practice at the moment, but I'm sure that class will eat up time too), with about 2 1/2hrs of reading each night for each class.  So you do the math. I'm literally spending about 7-8hrs reading and breifing.  And I heard that in about a month the reading load will double or even triple!!

2Ls say that having a life outside of law school is really important, but I can barely manage my time now, I can't imagine having time once the reading load increases. But I'm going to try to squeeze an hour here and an hour there.

With all of that being said, it really is doable.  Every 2L and 3L have been here and they made it so...

Goodluck to everyone taking the Oct LSAT
U Mich 1L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »
Law school is hell.  I mean, it is just the third day and I keep hearing it will get better, but really...  I'm not sure I believe that.

All of you prelaws out there, be forewarned.

And the funniest thing of all is that it's not like I go to a mean, evil school.  I go to Yale - the shiny, happy, pleasant school with no grades and where everyone's really nice!  And truthfully, everyone is nice.  Couldn't ask to do this with better people.

But it's still law school.  And even if there aren't grades, there is still the desire to refrain from embarrassing oneself in front of peers and professors.  Prelaws, think long and hard about what you're willing to put yourself through for a JD.  Graduate school is always an option.  Consider an MBA or MPP.  And nothing is wrong with getting out into the workforce.  You learn more from the real world anyway.

Yours in legal scholarship,
mobell

Ah, my first post-law-school post. 

I'm terribly sorry to hear you're not enjoying YLS, mobell.  Here's my take:

1. You are absolutely correct that there is a pressure to perform despite the lack of grades.  However, to this I would add two points.  First, that pressure will likely subside after the first semester, when it really hits people that what they say in class doesn't matter.  All that matters is the final grade (almost certainly a "Credit"), which will be determined by one test at the end of the semester.  Secondly, should having no grades be an excuse not to devote oneself fully to the law?  Aren't we here to become lawyers?  I think that the pressure to perform is a good thing, since it provides an impetus for us to study, yet the no grades things takes away any sort of penalty.

It is also interesting how the professors manage to level the playing field.  There are five Rhodes Scholars in our class (http://www.law.yale.edu/outside/html/Public_Affairs/631/yls_article.htm) and countless other recipients of named scholarship and fellowships.  While this might ostensibly be intimidating, in just this week I have come to realize that, in law school, absolutely no one knows more than anyone else.  What someone might think is an excellent point will be struck down by Guido or Koh.  It's fascinating to watch.

2. There is a ton of reading.  A ton.  But I'm enjoying every bit of it because I'm taking it for what it's worth: The professors are exposing us to material that will broaden our minds, and teaching us how to dissect the material critically and assess it as lawyers.  It's wonderful.  I'm loving the whole process.

But mobell is right: Definitely don't go to law school if you don't want to learn the law.  And learning the law is a trial by fire, and Yale is not excepted.  Know this going in.  That said, I'm finding it far from hell.  I'm loving every moment.

John Galt

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 08:28:44 AM »
glad to hear you enjoying it, Alcibiades.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:10:19 AM »
glad to hear you enjoying it, Alcibiades.

Yeah, as far as law school goes, it doesn't get much better.  But it is law school.

And with that I must now go read some of the approximately 100 pages of con law assigned for Monday ;).

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 01:47:17 PM »
Hmm...on second thought, as of Friday I decided that I really like law school.  Note: The stress evident in the above post is still present. Still, I have much love for the subject matter, and I couldn't ask for a better set of professors  :)  Also, I'm not entirely convinced that I'm the dumbest person in the class, which is the way I felt when I wrote the above post.

jdw112

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
Share some stories with us  :)

faith2005

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 02:08:47 PM »
awww mobell, did you get called out by one of your teachers? I know I felt really dumb after that. I still think that I have time outside of class, and I spend too much time doing random stuff. just living, talking to friends/fam, doing laundry and cleaning up around my room etc. is what most of my free time is spent on. and i don't think i go to ever class fully prepared, but i'm usually moderately prepared, like i can follow the professors' comments. i like learning a new way of thinking about the law...but yeah, i wish there were like 5 more hours in each day. seriously...