Law School Discussion

What's there to do around Wake Forest??

What's there to do around Wake Forest??
« on: June 23, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »
What is Wake Forest's appeal beside its small size, pretty campus, and tier 1 status?  What's there to do around there?  I visited for a day and thought Winston was pretty boring but didn't get a chance to do much more exploring.

Re: What's there to do around Wake Forest??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »
What is Wake Forest's appeal beside its small size, pretty campus, and tier 1 status?  What's there to do around there?  I visited for a day and thought Winston was pretty boring but didn't get a chance to do much more exploring.

There are several things that are appealing about Wake.  If you chose not to attend, then there will be one more appealing thing.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 01:21:24 PM »
Hanes Mall, Downtown Winston in the Summer, several lakes in the area, Greensboro 30 mins from Wake, the mountains are an hour from Winston Salem (skiing, etc.), you can be at the outerbanks in roughly 5/6 hours....etc. Tell me what kind of things your're interested in, and I can better explain to you what Winston has.....

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 07:41:43 PM »
I'm an undergrad there now, also considering it for law school. In addition to what laurell said, Charlotte is only about 90 min away, Atlanta is a few hours drive, and DC is a few hours more than that. If you're into the artsy stuff, then Fourth Street might interest you (galleries and theatres). Basketball is huge and always sold out; football is semi-popular and there's always room if you want to watch the game. Bar-wise, there's a few on Burke Street, the Fox and Hound on Stratford (a few miles from Hanes Mall), and Daytona's (kind of sketchy though). There are a decent amount of golf courses around too, Tanglewood being the most famous. Check out http://www.student.wfu.edu/home/ for information. It was designed for undergrads, but it has a lot of information about what's going on in Winston. Hope this helps.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 07:56:39 AM »
I was also an undergrad at WFU.  Whether or not you will like Winston probably depends on where you grew up and what kind of lifestyle you're used to.  New York City it is not, but there's a respectable amount of culture and entertainment for a city its size (about 150,000 people).