Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan lower numbers than Georgetown but harder to get into?  (Read 637 times)

VANOS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Michigan lower numbers than Georgetown but harder to get into?
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »
I do not understand why UMich has lower medians for both LSAT and GPA than Georgetown, but on all the calculators (chiatshu, lsac's etc) it shows it as being significantly harder? Is it just that they are looking at so many other factors?

I am trying to decide where I have the best chance with a 3.5/169 for early decision

Thanks
ACCEPTED: Georgetown (ED)

Mpowered

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan lower numbers than Georgetown but harder to get into?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:53:20 PM »
Im in the same boat with you...

however, i think im just going to apply regular.

I got a fee waiver for michigan, 3.6gpa and 168 lsat
DUKE '09

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 05:36:11 PM »
Georgetown's incoming class is almost double the size of michigan's.  that leaves a lot of space for people who fall below the LSAT and GPA medians.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:52:19 PM »
Georgetown's incoming class is almost double the size of michigan's.  that leaves a lot of space for people who fall below the LSAT and GPA medians.

That's very true, but the admissions process at Georgetown is a lot more numbers oriented than Michigan. Look at LSN graphs if you don't agree. Both schools say that even a 4.0 and 180 doesnt guarantee admission, but really, only at Michigan will the file get a second-look before a decision is made.

i definitely think the admissions process is much more numbers driven than at Michigan.  but for every person who's below the median at michigan, there are about 2 people below the median at georgetown.  that's all i was saying.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 11:20:02 PM »

Michigan is less numbers focused, and they also have an in-state preference that brings medians down slightly and makes admissions somewhat more dicey and unpredictable.

I do not understand why UMich has lower medians for both LSAT and GPA than Georgetown, but on all the calculators (chiatshu, lsac's etc) it shows it as being significantly harder? Is it just that they are looking at so many other factors?

I am trying to decide where I have the best chance with a 3.5/169 for early decision

Thanks
T25 or bust