Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is geographic diversity that important?  (Read 451 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Is geographic diversity that important?
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:02:22 AM »
I'm from KY, so would Clai schools view me as unique, or more so than a cai resident with similar stats? I'm talking private schools of course.

Also, I'm sure Vandy gets plenty of apps from KY residents, so if you were borderline or WL material, would it hurt you a little bit to be from KY?

Anyway, I'm just curious how these little things help or hurt your chances.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is geographic diversity that important?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »
chloraseptic-

i think it really depends on what region of KY.  Appalachia/Eastern Kentucky (or ties to that area) and you up the diversity factor.  Louisville, Lexington, Florence not so much.  From my conversation with Vandy, I got the impression that my family ties to Appalachia would be interesing diversity material.  So while my hometown was Louisville, I could choose to write my diversity essay on the appalachia ties to increase my diversity appeal.  28-34% of the students hail from the south.. so the lone fact of being a KY native does NOT add diversity.  As for california, I am sure that being a KY resident may help at some private universities--however I would think that you would have to add an interesting twist to make it worthy of writing an entire diversity essay.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »
chloraseptic-

i think it really depends on what region of KY.  Appalachia/Eastern Kentucky (or ties to that area) and you up the diversity factor.  Louisville, Lexington, Florence not so much.  From my conversation with Vandy, I got the impression that my family ties to Appalachia would be interesing diversity material.  So while my hometown was Louisville, I could choose to write my diversity essay on the appalachia ties to increase my diversity appeal.  28-34% of the students hail from the south.. so the lone fact of being a KY native does NOT add diversity.  As for california, I am sure that being a KY resident may help at some private universities--however I would think that you would have to add an interesting twist to make it worthy of writing an entire diversity essay.

Does Vandy really care about diversity? 

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:55:47 PM »
in the whole calculus of admission decision-making, i'd say geographic diversity ranks pretty low.