Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I write an addendum?  (Read 641 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Should I write an addendum?
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »
Last semester, I took a keyboarding class. I SUCK at keboarding and could not get the basic fingering down. Anyway, I got a big, fat, whopping F... the F dropped my GPA .13 points. Should  write an addendum? I know one F probably doesn't warrant one, but I would like adcoms to know that my GPA was really hurt by a class that required no intellect (sad, I know)... the point being that it doesn't show that I'm lazy/dumb.

On a side note, I can find & peck faster that the speed of light. ;D :D

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

gsh

• View Profile
Re: Should I write an addendum?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:44:18 PM »
I think whether or not write an addendum is based primarily on the school in which you are applying.  If it were me, I would indeed write an addendum.  With just the "F" sitting there, the adcomms have no idea why or what happened, but, with an addendum you can afford them with some insight.

jeb240

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:12:58 AM »
I personally think I agree with GSH, that one F is kind of like this thing in the room that no one wants to talk about but you really have to.  A few Fs and you need to talk about it, but it maybe looks like a pattern.  One F, I'd at least like to know what the deal is there.

However, because talking about one low (albeit the lowest) grade may come off as poor form, perhaps you can find a way to discuss it in an optional essay?  Maybe discuss how you learned from the experience of failing a class that, essentially, should have been passable and etc. etc. etc.?

I think that way it's talking about it without directly addressing it and may seem somewhat better?  But that might not work for all schools and, really, what do any of us know?

MichaelK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 07:00:57 AM »
Be careful, a school might wonder why you took a class you'd know that you would struggle at.  Does not say a lot for decisionmaking skills.  That being said, definitely write an addendum.  However, do not focus on the fact that you should have passed, but rather all that you tried to do in order to pass (work harder, extra help, etc.)
Current 1L

mhkuang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:13:04 AM »
Last semester, I took a keyboarding class. I SUCK at keboarding and could not get the basic fingering down. Anyway, I got a big, fat, whopping F... the F dropped my GPA .13 points. Should  write an addendum? I know one F probably doesn't warrant one, but I would like adcoms to know that my GPA was really hurt by a class that required no intellect (sad, I know)... the point being that it doesn't show that I'm lazy/dumb.

On a side note, I can find & peck faster that the speed of light. ;D :D

There must be something more to it. From personal experience it is impossible to get an F unless you totally slacked off, especially in a non-science course.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 10:35:50 AM »
There must be something more to it. From personal experience it is impossible to get an F unless you totally slacked off, especially in a non-science course.

Not true.  It's rare, but it's possible.  I had an intro to international politics prof who failed several people who really tried.

mhkuang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:05:02 PM »

Not true.  It's rare, but it's possible.  I had an intro to international politics prof who failed several people who really tried.

You have to have the IQ of a beached whale to fail an intro politics course if you tried with any sort of effort.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »
You have to have the IQ of a beached whale to fail an intro politics course if you tried with any sort of effort.

Actually, no.  In this particular course with this particular professor, you really didn't.  He wanted a very specific kind of analysis which was genuinely hard to master.  I admit that if you went into office hours with a draft of every single paper, rewrote it, and went in again, and rewrote it again, then you probably couldn't fail.  But it was genuinely a very difficult class, probably one of the two or three hardest I took in my UG career.

Not all intro poli sci classes are equal.

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:12:39 PM »
Be careful, a school might wonder why you took a class you'd know that you would struggle at.  Does not say a lot for decisionmaking skills.

No way!  This person saw a weakness, realized a benefit to overcoming it, and decided to take action in order to improve (or at least try to).  That says a great deal about their character.

mhkuang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:43:28 PM »
Be careful, a school might wonder why you took a class you'd know that you would struggle at.  Does not say a lot for decisionmaking skills.

No way!  This person saw a weakness, realized a benefit to overcoming it, and decided to take action in order to improve (or at least try to).  That says a great deal about their character.

C'mon, he or she got an F in a keyboarding class, we are not talking about quantum physics here. That's like getting an F in phyisical education.