Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1639474 times)

Regal_Muse

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2004, 04:39:27 PM »
You want to live in a poor black neighbhood for your kid's sake? WHY!??? Screw that! I want my kids to have the best. Then they can stick their noses up at white people and tell them to suck a rock. Hahahaha I'm kidding. Or am I? Muahahaha. Diversity is nice. YOu can get diversity at work or when you drive down the freeway LOL. Burning Sands, lets get married and have a Huxable family heheheheh. You must agree that I only have to cook four times a week.  ;D

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2004, 04:58:57 PM »
Oh, and no, I'm not going to law school so I can live with other Black professionals. I am not a BUPPIE, nor do I want to be. I want to live in MIXED neighborhood. Not all white, or all Black (poor or rich). But at some point I want to live in a poorer Black area, for my children's sake. When I moved back to Detroit we lived in a rough neighborhood. Worked for me. Wouldn't want to grow up in an affluent Black or white neighborhood. Not "real" enough for me.

Mind you, I say that now, and I don't have kids now. Ask me again in a year or two when I do.

Lavia

I'll never live with poor blacks. Forget that. I want the best for my kids. Hell, I might as well just stop the application process right now and live in the projects lol. That's "real". Hey, I know you are just talking though....you will definitely change your mind when you get married...or when you hear thouse gun shots!

Burning Sands- I think you betta move on that bro.  8) (Regal) Or I will.

Lavia

« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2004, 05:01:10 PM »
I can't blame you for your feelings. But living in a poor neighborhood for some of my childhood worked for me, the daughter of parents who both had master's degrees, and one had a doctorate, and were definitely professionals and middle class income level. But we lived in the 'hood (not my whole youth, though). I like the way they exposed me to more than one way of living, including a style that was more real, and prepared me well for the real world, I think.

I don't LIKE the 'hood, but I can function there and also in the upper class areas. I don't prefer either, though.

I'll be at the wedding, though. Sands is my adopted LSD brother, so I'll be sure to give a nice toast. Be sure you treat him right, now!  :)

Lavia

You want to live in a poor black neighbhood for your kid's sake? WHY!??? Screw that! I want my kids to have the best. Then they can stick their noses up at white people and tell them to suck a rock. Hahahaha I'm kidding. Or am I? Muahahaha. Diversity is nice. YOu can get diversity at work or when you drive down the freeway LOL. Burning Sands, lets get married and have a Huxable family heheheheh. You must agree that I only have to cook four times a week.  ;D

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »
or, I'll put a move on Lavia....but, she wants to be in the ghetto....so, I donn't know....lol

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2004, 05:06:21 PM »
Lavia-

We will see how long you stay in the ghetto after your first million.

Lavia

« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »
HBCU,

Have you ever lived with poor Blacks or whites?

Gunshots? You mean everyone doesn't hear those in their neighborhood? Puts hair on your chest.  ;D

But seriously, I'm not saying live in the poorest of poor, where the despair is thick like fog. And I don't mean my children's whole childhood. But some exposure. I lived in Detroit in a poorer section of town for my junior high and high school years. Did me good. My friends who lived there are either crackheads, dead, or pregnant early. I miss the local folks who always asked you for a quarter, and are still there today! I miss catching the bus to school every day (my parents wouldn't let me go the the neighborhood school...we lived in a poor area, but that didnt mean they allowed my education to be poor).

And speaking of education, isn't it more than just what learn in school? Doesn't it include learning about life, and people, poor and otherwise? I got a rich education in AND out of school, thanks to the various places my parents raised me. Don't be questioning my parents', now. I ain't tryin' to hear none of that.

:)

A million?? I don't think I'll ever make that much being an advocate working in the public interest. I can hope, though. Or save. After I pay all my loans. And pay my parents for their loan.

Lavia

But holla atcha girl when you come back to the Atl.
Oh, and no, I'm not going to law school so I can live with other Black professionals. I am not a BUPPIE, nor do I want to be. I want to live in MIXED neighborhood. Not all white, or all Black (poor or rich). But at some point I want to live in a poorer Black area, for my children's sake. When I moved back to Detroit we lived in a rough neighborhood. Worked for me. Wouldn't want to grow up in an affluent Black or white neighborhood. Not "real" enough for me.

Mind you, I say that now, and I don't have kids now. Ask me again in a year or two when I do.

Lavia

I'll never live with poor blacks. Forget that. I want the best for my kids. Hell, I might as well just stop the application process right now and live in the projects lol. That's "real". Hey, I know you are just talking though....you will definitely change your mind when you get married...or when you hear thouse gun shots!

Burning Sands- I think you betta move on that bro.  8) (Regal) Or I will.

lawdiva

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2004, 05:19:23 PM »
OT-After a very hellish application year I was finally admitted off the waiting list to my first choice.  I will be a first year student at Howard University School of Law.  Good luck to those applying and for those that are still waiting.  :)

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »
Lawdiva!!!! Congrats!!!!  I wish you the best!!!!!!! :D

Lavia

« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2004, 05:33:52 PM »
Golf???

We can never marry. I'll OO-OOP at your wedding, though.  ;D

Lavia-

Have I ever lived around poor folk? Yeah...you bet. I had to pay my way through college, and I lived off of 128 ozone drive in Atlanta. That *&^% is nasty....and, yeah..I heard gun shots all the time. Crack heads broke into my car, and it was just crazy. Hey, just go to the ghetto on the weekend. Take you kids to a homeless shelter and give the poor kids food and money.    

Don't forget to schedule your golf around all that though.  8)

Regal_Muse

« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2004, 05:45:27 PM »
Please...if I want to raise my kid, I'll kick his/her little ass if they act up  ;D. Hahahah BEAT YOUR KIDS! Something i started to think about while applying to law schools..what is the quality of life for these individuals? I thought to myself, If I go to Howard, I will definetly find a man (even though the male/female ratio is 11-1)...versus if I go to Harvard, I might be faced with the same ratio...11-1 black women for every black man. Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent.If I got to an IVY I'll just have to make frequent trips to DC and ATL..muahahahha damn can't wait until those NBLSA conferences...some fine brothas running around. Maybe I can date four or five.