Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1697800 times)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2004, 09:18:38 PM »
Ladyday-

I was like @#!* John Kerry when he said that he wanted to be the second black president. I was even more upset with Tony Morrison for starting that stuiped *&^% anyway. He thinks he has the black vote without having to do anything for it.

One thing is for sure, and that is that we have to vote for someone and i'ts not going to be president bush. But, at the end of the day....it doesn't matter. Dem. and Rep. don't give a damn about the black community. Did you guys see fahrenheit 911? Did you guys see all those black congress people female dog about african-americans not having the right to vote in florida? Not one Senator (Dem or Rep) would sign a document giving those black congress people the right to speak. What does that tell you? Those white boyz don't give a @#!*!   

True dat, I'm def feelin you on that one. Same thing with Al Gore, he really didn't even have to work for the black vote either.  And that *&^% really irks me, Dems just look at the black vote as a given.  It's insulting. But I'll tell you where both Gore and Kerry are f-ing up: Clinton. Clinton asked that stupid ass Gore if he wanted him to campaign for him and dumb ass said no. And if Kerry had Clinton out there charming the hell out of everybody it would be so much easier for him.  Dumb ass.   But once again it comes down to the issues, Bush attacks too many things I believe in (abortion rights, gay marriage) or strongly supports things I am against (like capital punishment)
So I gotta go with Kerry.   I haven't seen Farenheit 911 yet but my cuz said it got her all emotional (probably at the part you're talkin about) so I do plan on seeing it.    

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2004, 09:23:50 PM »
Oh yeah....If I were the president (and I was white) I wouldn't speak at the NAACP either. Why should the president speak to them? First of all, the NAACP talks alot of *&^% about the president. They call him names ,and make jokes about him. Kwasie (if that's how you spell it) basically said that president bush was trying to bring back slavery. If i were the president I wouldn't stand for that *&^%, and I definitely wouldn't spaek to the NAACP. The leadership there has to learn something about politics and deplomacy. If I was the head of the NAACP, I would never make personal attacks agaist anyone...especially the president. Even if you don't like the guy you have to know how to build relationships. Unfortunately, Kwasie doesn't know how to do that and that is why he is not getting a visit from GWb.     

Hmmmm, I guess I see your point, if someone was talkin junk about me I wouldn't like it. But then again, he is the f-in prez. *&^%, his ass is trying to bring back slavery (and guess who Powell and Rice are) but my point is, him not accepting the invite is just as insulting as Kerry assuming he'll get most of the black vote, Bush figures, why should I campaign for them, they're not going to vote for me anyway/ Well we sure as hell aren't (majority) if you don't show us that you want our vote or that you see our vote as valuable.  If I were him I would speak straight to the points that NAACP members have blasted him on and point where they are wrong.  Or maybe it's cuz they're right so he has no response.......?

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2004, 10:18:47 PM »
I feel yall 100%. Eventhough Bush is gonna recieve less than 20% of the Black vote, it would still be smart politically for him to reach out to potential African-American voters by speaking to the NAACP. This just shows what type of devil he is that he's willing to alienate an entire group of the population because of his dislike for one man. But my personal resentment for Bush is undescribable so I pray for his downfall in everyway possible. And as for Clinton FORGET ABOUT IT!! He has as much interest in Bush winning as Bush does. Besides I hate him almost as much as Bush because of the way hoodwinked us at least Bush is honest about his feelings.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2004, 12:03:35 AM »
I feel yall 100%. Eventhough Bush is gonna recieve less than 20% of the Black vote, it would still be smart politically for him to reach out to potential African-American voters by speaking to the NAACP. This just shows what type of devil he is that he's willing to alienate an entire group of the population because of his dislike for one man. But my personal resentment for Bush is undescribable so I pray for his downfall in everyway possible. And as for Clinton FORGET ABOUT IT!! He has as much interest in Bush winning as Bush does. Besides I hate him almost as much as Bush because of the way hoodwinked us at least Bush is honest about his feelings.

Devil. lol doesn't he just look like a sneaky mofo? but despite people saying they hate Clinton, a lot of people loved the man, so whoever he would endorse would have a great edge.  And I am interested in how you think Clinton hoodwinked the black community? I know a lot of people say, yeah under Clinton the welfare system lost the most in history and ruined it for blacks. my response is, why is it that WE have to be associated with welfare? Good, I'm glad it happened.  I say abolish the whole damn system.  But there's gotta be other ways as well, right? I know someone wrote a book on it "Clinton and Black America" or something like that, has anyone read it? I meant to get it but never did and I'm interested in what the author had to say. 

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2004, 10:20:24 AM »
Miles should not even be included in your survey.  It isn't in the same universe with your other options.  Over the past 3 years the bar pass rate has been below 10%. The first time bar pass rate for the February bar was 0%. The school has been producing graduates for almost 30 years now and still has less than 100 members of the Alabama Bar, the only state where the grads can sit for the bar.

When I was looking at evening law programs a few years ago, I could not get the admissions office at Miles to return my calls or respond to my e-mail requests for information.  I know other students who had the same experience.

Just my point of view.  I would like to here from any Miles students who can tell me a positive story.

luvtaps84

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2004, 11:10:58 AM »
Hey everyone.  I've read this whole thread and I found it pretty interesting and helpful. (I see we already got the inevitable AA debate going on - I was wondering how long it would take lol).  My name is Amelia and I'm a 20 year old African American female.  I'm a senior at Duke University and I'm preparing to take the LSAT in Oct.  First I just want some advice and/or opinions from anyone who has been accepted to schools or knows people who have.  My GPA is like 2.98 right now.  However I was premed for the first 2.5 years of college (under pressure from my mom) and all of my low grades were in science classes, which are now irrelevant to my desired career in law.  Although my cum is 2.9, my major gpa is like a 3.8 - Ive been a history major from day one, because that's what I like, i really wasnt that interested in the premed stuff.  Will that matter at all to LS admissions?  Is there any way for me to point out the vast diff b/w my cum and my major on an app?  I just took my first diagnostic test ever and got a 155 and I'm starting Testmasters today and hope to improve that significantly.  With a high LSAT and a low GPA from a top 10 school, do you think I would have a chance at top tier schools?  I also have a lot of extra curriculars and did independent research in Cuba.  I'm kind of scared about the whole law school thing, cus I heard you could have crazy extracurriculars, ill recommendations, good essay, etc , etc and still just get str8 rejected if your numbers dont reach a certain threshold.  A teacher at my school told me they dont even ever LOOK at ur app if ur index number isnt above that school's threshold.  A couple other questions I have are:  What are some schools that give good money? (very important!)  When is the best time to submit apps? (someone said b4 get em in by Oct, but I wont even have my LSAT score by then - which is gonna impact heavily where i apply). I've heard there are like 0 black men at law school (my bf is about to start at Wake Forest and he said there are like 3 in the incoming class) but I was wondering what the numbers are looking like for black women?

luvtaps84

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »
I also wanted to comment on some of the debates/discussions we got going on on the thread.

1) Affirmative Action:
One thing that always pisses me off in the whole affirmative action debate is the fact that minorities all have to walk around like they got a damn brand on their face with "AA" on it, when the VAST numbers of people benefiting from AA at top schools in this nation are rich white people.  If you look at the numbers, more top private institutions admit people because of how much money their parents have and how much they can contribute to the school rather than what their skin color is.  How do you think people like Bush went to Yale and Harvard? - that man is NOT smart and when he was keynote speaker at Yale a couple years back he openly told them that he jus partied and got low grades.  However, his dad went there and was president of the United States.  I think its crazy that we had people writing in to my school newspaper about how they were mad that "blacks got admitted over whit students w/ the same #'s" and I'm sitting there knowing that my numbers were high as hell, whereas my roomie had a C avg in HS and couldnt get in to Penn State - yet she was at Duke University b/c her parents were rich and knew people.  When I'm sitting in class next to Jennifer White and the White Lecture Hall across the quad is named after her dad, yet I hav to be subjected to looks when the conversation rolls around to AA - it makes me kinda mad.  And these are not seldom occurrences people...soooo many people get admitted to schools on the basis of how much cheese they have. 

2) Diversity:
I can only judge from my school, but if i were to use it to judge many of the other universities in the nation, i'd say they are pretty messed up when it comes to diversity.  Because while everyone crunches their #'s and gets their right amt of Blacks and Asians and Hispanics, etc, no one is really tryna get diversity of socio-economics - and in my opinion, that is missing the mark.  there was recently in article in the NY Times about this, yal should read it...something like 70 or 80% of all ppl at top schools in the nation come from fams that make like over 150,000 (i mite be messin that stat up, sorry, but u get the point) - regardless of what race they are.  Lower middle class and lower class people are still being left behind in this nation - whether they are black white or yellow - and until we admit that economic class is something that exists in the US - we wont address it.  Even the minorities they get most of the time represent the higher income minorities.

3)  As far as the NAACP and Bush goes - dont let Bush fool you ("I'm not going cus they talked about me" - BS) he has declined invitations every year of his presidency and is the first pres to do so since the 30's.  He has been to the swing state of Pennsylvania like 30 times during this campaign, and he cant make it to Philly b/c of a "scheduling conflict" - gimme a break.  And as far as Clinton goes, he did some shady stuff on the low as well, both internationally and here at home.  As blacks we always demonize the Republicans and hand the Democrats our vote freely w/out demanding anything in return - when really they are all out to protect their own interests, the interests of rich, white men. (and I say that not to be racist, cus there's a lot of poor white southerners out there being duped for their Repub vote and their interest arent really being served either).  I fully advocate voting, ESP in this election (if u arent registered go do it now!) because although the whole system needs a band-aid, there's def a lesser of two evils.  However as blacks, we need to stop handing out our vote and then not paying attantion once the Dem gets in office.  We need to put continued pressure on Dem to protect our interests and be more involved in politics.  Cus the truth is they pimp us for our vote and then the majority of us go chill for 4 years and dont pay attention again  and let them screw us on the low until some extremely right wing person gets elected and starts screwing us out in the open.  And we also need to start focusing more on local poltics, mayor, school board etc, and also our district representatives and all that stuff.  Too often people only pay attention to the general elections or think if they change the pres, everything will be gravy - we have to remember, its a whole network of people that support the pres from a local to a federal level, and changing those ppl will impact us more than just changing one man.

Damn that was maaaad long, lol my bad yal, I'm at work w/ nothing to do (I work at the National Urban League by the way - great resource to tap if u wanna get in contact w/ black lawyers and professionals doing things to help our communities)....holla back

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2004, 12:05:46 PM »
Hey everyone.  I've read this whole thread and I found it pretty interesting and helpful. (I see we already got the inevitable AA debate going on - I was wondering how long it would take lol).  My name is Amelia and I'm a 20 year old African American female.  I'm a senior at Duke University and I'm preparing to take the LSAT in Oct.  First I just want some advice and/or opinions from anyone who has been accepted to schools or knows people who have.  My GPA is like 2.98 right now.  However I was premed for the first 2.5 years of college (under pressure from my mom) and all of my low grades were in science classes, which are now irrelevant to my desired career in law.  Although my cum is 2.9, my major gpa is like a 3.8 - Ive been a history major from day one, because that's what I like, i really wasnt that interested in the premed stuff.  Will that matter at all to LS admissions?  Is there any way for me to point out the vast diff b/w my cum and my major on an app?  I just took my first diagnostic test ever and got a 155 and I'm starting Testmasters today and hope to improve that significantly.  With a high LSAT and a low GPA from a top 10 school, do you think I would have a chance at top tier schools?  I also have a lot of extra curriculars and did independent research in Cuba.  I'm kind of scared about the whole law school thing, cus I heard you could have crazy extracurriculars, ill recommendations, good essay, etc , etc and still just get str8 rejected if your numbers dont reach a certain threshold.  A teacher at my school told me they dont even ever LOOK at ur app if ur index number isnt above that school's threshold.  A couple other questions I have are:  What are some schools that give good money? (very important!)  When is the best time to submit apps? (someone said b4 get em in by Oct, but I wont even have my LSAT score by then - which is gonna impact heavily where i apply). I've heard there are like 0 black men at law school (my bf is about to start at Wake Forest and he said there are like 3 in the incoming class) but I was wondering what the numbers are looking like for black women?

There will be no A discussion in this thread!! take is elsewhere

But seriously, in your app most likely in your PS highlight your GPA in your major but don't sound whiny or like your making excuses when discussing your overall gpa.

Practice, practice, practice for the lsat. With an extremely high lsat you would have a fighting chance at a top tier. But no one knows for sure as the admits/rejec this year have been quite surprising.

Submit your apps as soon as you receive your lsat score.

I heard you could have crazy extracurriculars, ill recommendations, good essay, etc , etc and still just get str8 rejected if your numbers dont reach a certain threshold.
true, they say they look at all apps equally but don't even look at it that way, make your app stand out, so work your butt off to get a great lsat score, I'm sure you'll be fine and get into a decent school.

Where do u want to practice?

I really don't know which schools give the most money, hopefully someone else can answer that one for you.

I honestly recommend for all Black Students a book by Evangeline Mitchell. She pretty much covers all the bases and the bood by Richard Montauk? I think that's how you spell it.

# Black men in school? varies at each school but black women do tend to outnumber them about 2:1 on average. All I know is that there aren't enough.  

Hopefully some of this helps. Good Luck!

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2004, 12:12:50 PM »

Sorry luvtaps I posted at the same time as you. but seriously, there are a lot of threads out there to discuss AA. Just do a search for racism and you'll find plenty. If we start discussing it here a whole bunch of crazy ass people will jump into this thread filled with their hate and/or misconceptions. Let's keep this thread peaceful and informative.
BTW I agree with most of your post.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2004, 03:08:47 PM »
Personally, I think blacks/Afro Americans should really start researching political parties and not vote Democractic all the time. The Democrates are confident that they will receive the majority of the black vote, therefore they do not try to reach out to our communities. AS a result, we have become marginalized politically. The Republicans have no need for our vote because they have won elections countless times w/o us.