Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1683110 times)

HBCU.EDU

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2004, 11:10:37 PM »
Who is a better comic? Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock? It's looking like Dave too me.....(watching t.v.) The Dave Chappelle show is the best show on t.v. right now.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2004, 11:15:08 PM »
Nupe I swear you took the exact words out of my mouth.  Dave Chappelle is the funniest *&^% on TV right now.  Period.  That dude is beyond silly.  Whenever you can resurrect an old 80's icon and have america quoting "I'm rick james, female dog" you know you have some influence.

Chris Rock is a different kind of comedy.  He's more like the black version of Bill Maher (who is my guy by the way).  Rock's last standup in DC was classic material.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2004, 04:59:02 AM »
dave chappelle is the  funniest man to ever live :D :D :D

second is paul mooney ;D
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2004, 10:05:05 AM »
Dave Chappelle by far is the hottest right now, I think it's probably b/c he's less afraid to take risks--he just don't care.
Who else would have a show for a race draft, or a black white supremacist? LOL.  Crazy.

But I also wonder how low it will last, will some other black comedian take it even further? remember Chris Rock was real hot at one time too.  But his show always makes me think about In Livin Color too (classic) I wish Keenan and Fox would get over their differences already and put it on syndication!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2004, 12:58:06 PM »
Regal_Muse,
I just graduated from Berkeley this past May.  Anyway, I don't agree with you that Berkeley lacks racial diversity.  The first problem with your assumption is that we, Asians, are ALL THE SAME--not that you specifically said that.  The Asian "race" (whatever that is) is quite diverse and please don't overlook the fact that just because Asians are grouped into one all-encompassing category, it doesn't mean that we, in ourselves, are not diverse.  If anything, I would have to argue that Berkeley lacks diversity in terms of socio-economics--but that's another issue.

p.s.
i'm going to boalt hall this fall, if you have any questions just feel free to send me a PM.  one more thing to add, the myth that boalt hardly accepts students from berkeley is a complete lie.  looking at the current class list, most of the students are from berkeley. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2004, 01:29:08 PM »
I agree with yall that Dave Chappelle is a damn fool but I gotta go with my boy Cris Rock on this won. That D.C. special reclaimed the thrown.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »
I agree with yall that Dave Chappelle is a damn fool but I gotta go with my boy Cris Rock on this won. That D.C. special reclaimed the thrown.

Man is that your alter ego or did you just need a name change?

Anyway, yes please allow me to reiterate once again that the DC Chris Rock stand up was the truth.  That *&^% was off the meter.  He touched on a lot of topics including AA and of course, as always, male female relations.

I know sistas in here don't wanna try to bring it on the male female relations....[ahem ahem] [looking at Lady Day] 

.... :P
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2004, 08:42:11 PM »
Sands, now there u go! Please brotha LET'S NOT GO THERE!   :-X

But since this is the BLSDB here's an interesting article:

AFRICAN AMERICANS UNSURE ABOUT KERRY ACCORDING TO NEW POLL

Only 32% of African Americans definitely think Kerry should replace President Bush

Washington, DC - In a national poll of African American registered voters commissioned by Black America's Political Action Committee (BAMPAC), less than one in three (32%) African Americans stated that they definitely believed that Senator John Kerry was the best candidate to replace President George W. Bush. The poll was conducted June 30th - July 4th among 800 African American registered voters via phone by Wilson Research Strategies.

Twenty-one percent (21%) of African Americans stated that they probably believe that Senator Kerry is the best candidate to replace President George W. Bush. A total of 32% of African Americans stated they would have preferred someone other than Senator Kerry to replace President Bush (18% stated they would probably have preferred someone other than Kerry to replace President Bush; 14% said that they would have definitely preferred someone other than Kerry to replace President Bush)

Other key findings of the poll include:

* Seventeen percent of African Americans (17%) believe that President Bush deserves reelection. The President's approval rating among African Americans is 21%.

* The most important issues to African Americans when choosing a candidate are the economy (34%); health care (12%) and education (11%)

* Secretary of State Colin Powell is the most influential African American political figure. Powell earned this distinction from 38% of the respondents. Others listed included: Rev. Jesse Jackson (27%) and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice (8%).

In response to the poll findings, BAMPAC President and CEO Alvin Williams said, "The results show that while the majority of African Americans are in favor of selecting a new President, they are not completely sure that Senator John Kerry is the next best option."

Now for me personally, I feel like many that I'm just voting for the lesser of two evils, and to just be able to exercise my right to vote.  But after Bush (that dirty Motha) declined the invitation by the NAACP and was the 1st Prez to do that since the 1930's, I was like OH HELL NO, that ass gots to go.  What is your take?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »
Ladyday-

I was like @#!* John Kerry when he said that he wanted to be the second black president. I was even more upset with Tony Morrison for starting that stuiped *&^% anyway. He thinks he has the black vote without having to do anything for it.

One thing is for sure, and that is that we have to vote for someone and i'ts not going to be president bush. But, at the end of the day....it doesn't matter. Dem. and Rep. don't give a damn about the black community. Did you guys see fahrenheit 911? Did you guys see all those black congress people female dog about african-americans not having the right to vote in florida? Not one Senator (Dem or Rep) would sign a document giving those black congress people the right to speak. What does that tell you? Those white boyz don't give a @#!*!   

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2004, 09:15:11 PM »
Oh yeah....If I were the president (and I was white) I wouldn't speak at the NAACP either. Why should the president speak to them? First of all, the NAACP talks alot of *&^% about the president. They call him names ,and make jokes about him. Kwasie (if that's how you spell it) basically said that president bush was trying to bring back slavery. If i were the president I wouldn't stand for that *&^%, and I definitely wouldn't spaek to the NAACP. The leadership there has to learn something about politics and deplomacy. If I was the head of the NAACP, I would never make personal attacks agaist anyone...especially the president. Even if you don't like the guy you have to know how to build relationships. Unfortunately, Kwasie doesn't know how to do that and that is why he is not getting a visit from GWb.