Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1698890 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2004, 02:59:44 PM »
mizzkes, i'm jealous. I wish I could have done the CLEO program but I couldn't afford to do it AND move out of state to go to law school.  You will be down in Georgia with Lavia.  Make sure you hook up with her.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2004, 03:23:33 PM »
Thanx to all those who hit me back.

My work experience is weird, no Law related jobs. I sold insurance for awhile. That's how I saved the money to pay back Howard. I hated it (too much stress), but I owed HU almost 7Gs. I now manage a gas station at night. It is not strenuous but it lets me catch up on my studies and preptests.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2004, 03:33:11 PM »
Thats how you do it. You gotta take control of your own destiny rather then feeding this system.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2004, 03:38:51 PM »
Thats how you do it. You gotta take control of your own destiny rather then feeding this system.

I heard that, kid
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
CaliToD.C.-

That's real talk. I've been working for the man for yrs. I just can't see myself making this fool rich off my hard work after I get out of law school. I know he will never make me partner. It's the take over! I'll have the largest black law firm in the nation! Come join me! (full of idealism)

NYBound05

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2004, 03:46:37 PM »
Kikilatrice, what's your gpa, if you don't mind me asking?  I ask because i'm applying to USC as well, and I'm trying to figure out what a black applicants numbers have to look like to accepted there...

Yeah Shaz...what section eight said...LSDAS definitely takes into consideration ALL undergraduate work, even the grades received from a community college.  Sorry to hear about your experiences at Howard because Lord knows being at the "Mecca" comes with many, many, many inconveniences to say the least.  I just graduated in May, thank goodness.

In terms of your score, the 160's are pretty good.  When I applied during the last admission cycle with a 158 I got into 7 schools including USC and the University of Illinois.  In addition, I only got waitlisted at UMICH.  I'm taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying during this admission cycle though.  Good luck to ya!

SheLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2004, 06:11:07 PM »
Hi all,

I just joined the forum.  It's nice to see so many black young individuals persuing law.  Since I'm here, lemme introduce myself, I'm a 20 year old black female living on the east coast planning on attending law school in the Fall 2005.  I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting into good places and are on top of the whole law school application process, I love to see us succeed. 

I'm still trying to figure out where to apply and am aiming for Tier one, I have a 3.75 GPA in Forensic Biology with minors in bio and chem, unfortunately my LSATS were a low 155.  I'm kinda worried this will hurt me quite a bit since law school is so LSAT focused, but I'm hoping that my exceptional extracurriculars and recommendations will kinda balance that out.  Of course, I want to get into the best law school I can and am seriusly looking into Cardozo Law in NYC (since I want to practice law.)  I doubt Fordham will accept me because of my LSAT score but I still plan on applying. 

Anyway, enough about me, good luck to everyone in upcoming LSATs, applications, etc and I'm sure things will work out for all of us  ;)
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2004, 08:27:45 PM »
Regal_Muse-

I love HBCUs, but I don't have a 173. Like burning sands said...take yo ass to urrumm Harvard..not Yale.   

either one and you're writing your own ticket when you graduate.  Yale is the current #1 law school in the nation however. But if you go to any of the top 14 its all the same name recognition.

Burning Sands-

Definitely, I agree with you. I don't think it matters where you go to school unless you're talking about the top 10 schools. University of Arkansas vs. University of Alabama? Who gives a @#!*??! If you have the numbers to go to the top 10 then definitely go to the best that you can go to. Othern than that......who cares. The top firms out there want students from top law schools period. Thank God I wanna go into private practice. lOL. :D     

Nupe, you ain't never lied.  A lot of the kids on this board crack me up with all the emphasis they place on top tier schools and US News rankings.  First of all, @#!* US News.  Protocal having properly been established, lets talk real talk for a minute shall we on school rankings and jobs...

...because jobs are what we are ultimately seeking when we get out of law school.  You go 90 to 100,000 dollars into debt so that you can come out making loot.  Nobody goes into that kind of debt because "they beleive in the higher ideals & blah blah blah...want to save the world".  Save that afterschool special stuff for your personal stetements. Tell them whatever you have to to get your foot in the door and then do your own thing.

I have a good friend of mine who's an AKA who graduated from a "Tier 1" law school.  Yes it was in the top 50 technically, so that makes it a tier 1, but again, unless you are in that brand name list of the top 14, nobody cares.  My girl would be quick to let you know she went to a tier 1, but the poor sweetie could not find a job for about 8 months with that Tier 1 degree.  My chapter brother on the other hand, went to a bottom of the barrel Tier 4 law school, and I already told you about how his practice is doing in DC.  Mad cheddar, son.

Somebody posted earlier on here about what numbers they needed as a black applicant to get into USC.  I have to warn whoever that was that you don't want to take that mentallity in applying to law school.  The law school app process is a dirty game.  I don't know how often you guys read the LSAC site but 150,000 people took the LSAT last year, and of that 150k only 100k had the LSAT score to apply to law school, and of those that did, only 56,000 were accepted. 

That means 44,000 people who did well on the LSAT and who have good GPA's were NOT ACCEPTED TO ANY SCHOOL AT ALL.

All of that to say don't assume there is a black handicap score that will let you get into any school.  Look at each school's LSAT range to give yourself an idea and try your best to knock that LSAT out the box.

All the lawyers that I have talked to say the same thing to me when it comes to choosing a school...

Go to the best school that will accept you and that you can afford.

Yo

Charles H. Houston

ruskiegirl

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2004, 08:54:30 PM »
USC does have a significant focus on diversity, but it is also an LSAT whore.  If your LSAT is slightly lower than their median, you may try applying to Berkeley, which has a more liberal admissions policy as well as a commitment to diversity. 

NYBound05

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2004, 09:15:32 PM »
Okay, let me clarify my post...

Everyone knows that law schools often accept URM's with numbers that would cause some whites to be rejected.  Hopefully, everyone knows why that is more than justified, and therefore I don't have to go into the why's and how's of that process.

With that said, my question to the poster was asked out of pure curiosity.  It would be pointless for me to look up the 25/75 stats of individual schools, because they are not race specific. 

I understand the law school application very well, and have never and will never use my "blackness" as a handicap to get me anything.  I busted my ass in undergrad to get a strong gpa and will also devote my entire summer to the lsat, specifically because I do not use discriminations of the past and present as an excuse or a tool to help me succeed.

I figured I could ask the question I did about USC on the Black Discussion Board, as opposed to the LSD without it being taken out of context...I see I was wrong.  Next time I'll be clearer in posts that may be considered contraversial, or that are unclear.

Somebody posted earlier on here about what numbers they needed as a black applicant to get into USC.  I have to warn whoever that was that you don't want to take that mentallity in applying to law school.  The law school app process is a dirty game...

All of that to say don't assume there is a black handicap score that will let you get into any school.  Look at each school's LSAT range to give yourself an idea and try your best to knock that LSAT out the box.