Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1698439 times)

jgruber

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2004, 12:57:42 PM »
Thanks.  I just wanted a reality check.

No actuall it means Historically Black Colleges and University since there is no such thing as an institution that is designated for only one race any longer.

I know their are no longer schools designated for a single race, but for practical purposes aren't HBCU black schools? 

jeffjoe

Yes, they are black schools.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2004, 12:46:02 PM »
Nothing productive to add I just wanted to keep the discussion going.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2004, 07:57:28 PM »
Is anyone going into private practice? I know you guys don't wanna work for the man your entire life. Well, perhaps you do....but, does anybody know any young black lawyers that opened their own firm and started making bank?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »
Is anyone going into private practice? I know you guys don't wanna work for the man your entire life. Well, perhaps you do....but, does anybody know any young black lawyers that opened their own firm and started making bank?

Nupe I got a chapter brother from the Mu who has his own practice in DC. He does criminal law, had about 16, 17 cases in 2003 and netted about $150k after paying his secretary, investigator and other office costs.  So it definitely is a viable way to go.  He also said he was stretched out with those 17 cases all by himself, people calling him at all times of the night and stuff.  I'm sure it gets hectic at times.

Me personally, I plan on working for a patent law firm for the first couple years out and then breaking off to do my own thing after that.  I can work for the man for a few years at a 6 figure salary.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2004, 11:30:43 PM »
Do any of yall know anything about a private practice in civil rights and if theres any money in it.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2004, 03:44:46 AM »
Regal_Muse-

I love HBCUs, but I don't have a 173. Like burning sands said...take yo ass to urrumm Harvard..not Yale.   

either one and you're writing your own ticket when you graduate.  Yale is the current #1 law school in the nation however. But if you go to any of the top 14 its all the same name recognition.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2004, 03:51:13 AM »
 A Big Hello to all.

This is my first post. Not to change the subject but I need some info.

I started out at Howard and did terrible. School wasn't my focus. Soon I found myself on AP. Then to make matters worse I got a case of mono. I had to go home for a while, but neglected to withdraw my classes. I returned to find that I had been flagged for all my classes. I tried to talk to the dean but he was more concerned with how I was going to pay for my classes than anything else.

Having no money I returned home. I wanted to transfer but Howard would not release my transcript because of some money I owed them. I went to a community college and did well. I had a 3.53 in a science major. At this time I was working full time to repay Howard and get my records. I payed them and then transferred to Temple. My focus was just to get my degree.  I just wanted to finish what I started. I have a 2.8 GPA in biochemistry.

I have taken several preptests and my scores are in the low 160s. What are my chances of getting into a good school.Keep in mind that my Ugpa is going to be very low when calculated with my Howard records.

I am in Philly and would like to stay. But I am willing to travel. What do you think my chances are?
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »
actually you're looking pretty good.  LSDAS is going to use your temple GPA b/c that's where your degree is from, and with a score in the 160's you are competitive for most top schools.  Not the upper elite 1st tier, but probably some of the lower 1st tiers and most of the 2nd tiers. The 2.8 in biochem is not bad but it will have you  at a slight disadvantage to some of these english and basket weaving majors that will be applying.
Charles H. Houston

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2004, 01:06:09 PM »
Actually, I believe LSDAS will use all your undergrad transcripts which includes your rough period at Howard.  However, don't worry you still have alot going for you to get you into a nice school.

mizzkes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2004, 02:49:42 PM »
Hello Everyone,
 Burning Sands- I hadn't heard from you in a minute. I see you are still holding down the boards. I had not been on the boards lately because I am in Chicago doing this CLEO thing. They are working us like crazy. If any of you have the opportunity to do CLEO, do it. It is cool.
 I am planning to attend Georgia State University in Atlanta this fall. Although, I still have my fingers crossed because I am still waitlisted at Duke and UNC. I have some studying to do for finals so I'll check in later. Good luck to everyone on the board.

Alpha Kappa Alpha
Gamma Theta Omega
Spring O4
#3 SKEEphistAKAtion