Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1697725 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2004, 08:12:42 PM »
Hi everyone, I took the June  lsats and scored 173.I'm quite pleased with myself (thanks testmasters!). I want to know what are some of the benefits of attending Howard Law when it is ranked 3rd or 4th tier? Wouldn't attending a 1st tier school and being black/Afro-American make you stick out more to big firms? Thanks!

go to harvard law!

not howard!
 :D

scurred1

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2004, 08:17:30 PM »
Hi everyone, I took the June  lsats and scored 173.I'm quite pleased with myself (thanks testmasters!). I want to know what are some of the benefits of attending Howard Law when it is ranked 3rd or 4th tier? Wouldn't attending a 1st tier school and being black/Afro-American make you stick out more to big firms? Thanks!

You are my inspiration! Woo hoo! OK, I'm going back to studying. I'm wasting too much time reading this board.
Anyway, what Burning Sands said. Go to Yale. Please!!! I may need your spot at Howard if I can't move my pratice score (164) any higher. :)

jgruber

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2004, 08:56:06 PM »
You'll have to excuse me if this seems like a stupid question and I don't mean to offend anyone, but....

Is the name HBCU a hope for the future or just a way of avoiding saying that a school is a black school or what?

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2004, 09:17:41 PM »
No actuall it means Historically Black Colleges and University since there is no such thing as an institution that is designated for only one race any longer.

jgruber

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2004, 09:42:39 AM »
No actuall it means Historically Black Colleges and University since there is no such thing as an institution that is designated for only one race any longer.

I know their are no longer schools designated for a single race, but for practical purposes aren't HBCU black schools? 

lawdiva

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2004, 09:58:43 AM »
HBCU.EDU,

I have not been to the law school campus, but I have been to the undergraduate campus, and it is a little ummm....scary!  I was totally taken back by the run down buildings and the landscaping.  Maybe I am a little superficial, but it just isn't an environment I can see myself learning in for the next three years.  Did anyone apply to NCCU?  From my understanding they have a pretty good reputation in the NC area.

Regal_Muse,

Congrats on your score!  That is amazing.  Howard is an amazing university, and if you ever get a chance to visit, do it.  I come from a large state school, and the family feeling they describe in their view book was definitely there.  The students were very helpful and friendly, they seemed very engaged in the course material, and they interacted with each other as if they have been friends for years.  They gave off really good vibes.  As far as jobs, it is like any other school.  If you work hard the opportunities will be there.  There are a lot of top firms that recruit there, and you do not appear to be a slacker, so I am sure you will have no problem finding a job with a JD from HUSL.

I have done a lot of reading on Howard, and I attended the open house they had this year, so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

LawDiva

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2004, 10:28:11 AM »

Congrats on your score!

Wouldn't attending a 1st tier school and being black/Afro-American make you stick out more to big firms?

Answer: Yes. Go to HYS or another 1st tier. 

Good Luck.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »
Regal_Muse-

I love HBCUs, but I don't have a 173. Like burning sands said...take yo ass to urrumm Harvard..not Yale.   

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2004, 11:39:06 AM »

I know their are no longer schools designated for a single race, but for practical purposes aren't HBCU black schools? 

jeffjoe

Yes, they are black schools.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2004, 12:42:10 PM »
Regal Muse-

You started something with that post on AA. If they are talking like that on this board, how do you think they are gong to act in law school. Get ready!