Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1639946 times)

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2004, 03:12:19 AM »
Thanks Delta Law,

I spoke with the Dir of Admissions and sat in on a class. The instructor was Meg Penrose and she was great. If you get to choose any classes take her. You could tell she loves teaching. She also worked in Texas. I'm from CA and applying to all the UC's and you're right their out-of-state tuition is less than UC's in-state. My only reservations were that the students didn't seem very helpful when I asked a few questions after the class was over and that the student body isn't very diverse. Hope you don't mind if I email you in Sept to see how you like it there or you could send me an email. Good luck.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2004, 05:37:57 PM »
Delta Law:

Thanks for the shout-out!  Yeah, Texas Tech's BLSA chapter is incredible!  Good luck at OU!

NYBound05

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2004, 06:44:15 PM »
Whoa! Slow down there killer! What's up with all this black on black crime  ;) ?

But it's great to see we'll have people representing all over, we've got texas, hotlanta and NYC covered. And if hbcu goes to Howard, there's D.C. All we need now is someone to represent in Cali.

I'm representing Cali- the (East) Bay Area!

I don't know where I'm going to law school yet, because I'm taking the Oct LSAT.  HOPEFULLY, it will be in New York, and hopefully HOPEFULLY it will be NYU but we shall see.  8)

BTW- I'd like to also add that it's so so lovely to see so many future Black attorneys representing on LSD-ya'll know there ain't many of us on here...

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2004, 07:56:14 PM »
CaliToD.C.  -- Yes, I am going to McGeorge and I am so excited.  It is a great school, especially for my area of interest -- governmental affairs/public policy and just minutes for the capital!   Let me know if I can help in any way!

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 01:29:17 AM »
Yo HBCU.EDU

Goog lookin on renaming the thread. Its the take over!!!

lawdiva

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 11:57:41 AM »
Hey,

It is really good to see other African Americans doing great things.  I applied this season to a bunch of schools, and was placed on the wait list at quite a few schools including howard (#1 choice-praying to be accepted off).  I did however, get accepted to Southern, but decided not to attend for personal reasons.  Where is everyone headed?  Anyone else on the waitlist at Howard?

Congrats to those accepted, and good luck to those just applying.

Lawdiva  ;D

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2004, 03:31:27 PM »
CaliToD.C.-

You know it bro......it's the take over!

Regal_Muse

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 04:51:36 PM »
Hi everyone, I took the June  lsats and scored 173.I'm quite pleased with myself (thanks testmasters!). I want to know what are some of the benefits of attending Howard Law when it is ranked 3rd or 4th tier? Wouldn't attending a 1st tier school and being black/Afro-American make you stick out more to big firms? Thanks!

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »
Regal_Muse-

Congrats on the LSAT score! Great job! As far as I'm concerned, I would never get involved in worrying about this 3rd tier and 4th tier business. Especially when you're talking about a school like Howard University School of law. Just look at the graduates that they produce, and you will have the answer to your question. HBCUs like Morehouse College, Howard, Spelman, etc have been at the front of social engineering since reconstruction, and I wish them all the best. As a graduate of an HBCU, I can't tell you how inspiring it is to attend them; to walk in the same foot steps as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Dr. David Satcher, etc. You have to feel that for yourself and you have to make this decision for yourself as well.

As far as jobs are concerned, big firms heavily recruit at Howard Univ. Just make sure that you do well when you get there and graduate at the top of your class. Hell, that is true anywhere you go. Go to Harvard Law and just graduate....you will have a problem getting a gigg as well.

I think it's all about personal choice. I've just always had a thing about supporting black colleges and univ. That's why I'm HBCU.EDU baby! 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2004, 08:05:59 PM »
if you scored a 173 take your ass to Yale and call it a day.  end of discussion
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston