Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1678716 times)

PHOEBESIOUX

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54790 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »
to captain sk33z and shantel88,

I'm a 2L at a T2 school, and I'm willing to answer whatever questions you guys have. :-)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54791 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »
Where is everyone??? I am a 0L looking for guidance and experiences of current African American law school students......this is very disappointing =/

Ask away.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

VernaCanRead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54792 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,  I am glad that I found this page while surfing for information on Tulsa Law School. 

To address something that I feel should be duly noted by anyone new to this site...This site isn't new...I am exhausted from reading the 1000's of posts by potential law school applicants and the matching replies from the Moderator and everyone else who has something to contribute to this arduous journey...

Once I finally registered (and today was my first time on the site)  I was accosted by a poll asking why Newbies don't post...Well, Obviously, (in my Antoine Dodson voice) over the past nine years ya'll have covered just about everything! But I am glad that the site is still here so that I can a question that applies specifically to me.  Plus,  I think that there may have been some changes in the current admission standards  since we've entered the depression and "the changing economy" blah , blah, blah....

So no questions tonight just a couple of observations. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and continues to contribute.  I have gained a lot of insight into the LSAP....(I thought I would throw my own acronym up in here)  I'm not going to say how long it took me to finally figure our what "URM" was..LOL!!!  Which reminds me, there could be some sort of legend for the abbreviations used in these discussions...I had to figure out T14 too...Love the site and I look forward to chatting with you all soon.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54793 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
all us?

oh my.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54794 on: March 04, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
You may have a point there.  After so many seasons of the same info over and over, we might have exhausted the advice necessary to apply to law school.  LOL!!!

But then again, the advice was but only 1 component to this community so it still doesn't quite explain the ghost town atmosphere of late.   Oh well...

Hi Everyone,  I am glad that I found this page while surfing for information on Tulsa Law School. 

To address something that I feel should be duly noted by anyone new to this site...This site isn't new...I am exhausted from reading the 1000's of posts by potential law school applicants and the matching replies from the Moderator and everyone else who has something to contribute to this arduous journey...

Once I finally registered (and today was my first time on the site)  I was accosted by a poll asking why Newbies don't post...Well, Obviously, (in my Antoine Dodson voice) over the past nine years ya'll have covered just about everything! But I am glad that the site is still here so that I can a question that applies specifically to me.  Plus,  I think that there may have been some changes in the current admission standards  since we've entered the depression and "the changing economy" blah , blah, blah....

So no questions tonight just a couple of observations. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and continues to contribute.  I have gained a lot of insight into the LSAP....(I thought I would throw my own acronym up in here)  I'm not going to say how long it took me to finally figure our what "URM" was..LOL!!!  Which reminds me, there could be some sort of legend for the abbreviations used in these discussions...I had to figure out T14 too...Love the site and I look forward to chatting with you all soon.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54795 on: March 24, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
You may have a point there.  After so many seasons of the same info over and over, we might have exhausted the advice necessary to apply to law school.  LOL!!!

But then again, the advice was but only 1 component to this community so it still doesn't quite explain the ghost town atmosphere of late.   Oh well...

I think people who may be peeping and want to ask a question get turned off by seeing those who do ask get either no response, or immediate responses telling them to go search the boards.  The board stays fresh with fresh responses to the what might be the same old questions, but in a new economic and legal climate that's still changing and hasn't decided what it's going to be yet...

I see it on other sites too...people are just too hostile to newbies who may not even know how to search the boards...plus even the site will warn you about responding to posts older than x amount of days...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54796 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »

I think people who may be peeping and want to ask a question get turned off by seeing those who do ask get either no response, or immediate responses telling them to go search the boards.  The board stays fresh with fresh responses to the what might be the same old questions, but in a new economic and legal climate that's still changing and hasn't decided what it's going to be yet...

I see it on other sites too...people are just too hostile to newbies who may not even know how to search the boards...plus even the site will warn you about responding to posts older than x amount of days...

Yes, Prelaw students can be, how shall we say, jerks sometimes, so I understand.  Well the offer still stands, if anybody needs advice or a seasoned experience from a law school grad in this new economic era, don't hesitate to ask.  I work in biglaw so I can't answer everyday but I'll definitely answer.

Charles H. Houston

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54797 on: April 01, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
Hi everybody-I'm curious how everyone deals with the race issue/racism in law school? I am a resident of Iowa and have been my entire life so I'm no stranger to racism or being the only minority at school or work. However the ignorance and racism on this site and some other sites is off the charts.Today, I let my emotions get the best of me. I did apologize for my behavior but I was wondering if the attitudes in school are similar to the attitudes displayed on this board?If so, how do you deal?

bjh324

• View Profile
« Reply #54798 on: April 08, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
Just joined this website, thought I'd take a look at this blog.

First and foremost is great to see brothers and sisters using the internet to network. Second, it's even better to see theirs fellow NUPES on here. YO YO!!!  :)

Just a general question for all and anyone willing to answer: I am a recent graduate and examinee of the California Bar. California is absolutely saturated with attorneys. Given this fact in conjunction with the fact that CA has been hit really hard by the recession, their is a strikingly small window of opportunity for "baby attorneys" such as myself. I'm considering relocating (which means I'll unfortunately have to take another bar), does anyone have any suggestions as to which states would be a good place to relocate to?

Thanks.

smartandunique

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54799 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Have you checked the classifieds for some of the other big legal markets-New York City, Philadelphia, , Washington D.C, Texas?