Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1660792 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54740 on: July 23, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
Pretty much.  Gotta check everything that goes out the door as if your license depends on it...because it does.

And no she's not new she's just kinda wacko.  At my old firm I had a better one but this one is just kinda....eh.  She means well and is a nice person but not always the sharpest crayon in the box.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54741 on: July 23, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »
OK got a story.

So I'm filing a motion in NY state court and I give my secretary the transmittal letter, the motion, attachments, and ask her to do a check request for the filing fee from accounting made payable to "New York County Clerk".  We also sent a copy of the motion to the judge, so I highlighted the name of the judge and his address on another piece of paper for that purpose.

About an hour or so later I get a call from the partner, he's like "uh, Sands, you got a minute? Stop by my office."  So I do. I go in and he asks me "so did you just make a check request?"  I say "yeah sure for the motion we just sent out."  He hands me the check request form that my secretary filled out...

Why was the check made out directly to the Judge?

:o

Fortunately we caught it before it went out the door, but had it gong out the door I basically would have been looking for a new career.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54742 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »
I agree with the previous posters, because although this board is the lesser of the other two evils when it comes to elitism, it still turns people away who don't fit the mold. I'm one of those people, but I find this board easier to navigate. I also feel as though the opinions expressed here are samples of what is to come, so I don't take too personally what I read and people need to have thicker skin.The search function still works for me, unless we're not talking about the same one.

what "search" function do you use? :D :D :D
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54743 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:26 AM »
Hi everyone! Im new to the board and just wanted to say hello to everyone. So far I've been reading some pretty interesting and insightful things

whats up...this is a fun board...don't mind some of the folks here...their bark is worse than their bite...you can make many friends...welcome and enjoy! aye for one have had great enjoyment in this fine fabric of thread...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54744 on: July 24, 2009, 01:37:19 AM »
OK got a story.

So I'm filing a motion in NY state court and I give my secretary the transmittal letter, the motion, attachments, and ask her to do a check request for the filing fee from accounting made payable to "New York County Clerk".  We also sent a copy of the motion to the judge, so I highlighted the name of the judge and his address on another piece of paper for that purpose.

About an hour or so later I get a call from the partner, he's like "uh, Sands, you got a minute? Stop by my office."  So I do. I go in and he asks me "so did you just make a check request?"  I say "yeah sure for the motion we just sent out."  He hands me the check request form that my secretary filled out...

Why was the check made out directly to the Judge?

Fortunately we caught it before it went out the door, but had it gong out the door I basically would have been looking for a new career.

weshhhhhewww....think 20 deep, my man.

it has kept me in business at the petstore on court st. for years...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54745 on: July 24, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »
I agree with the previous posters, because although this board is the lesser of the other two evils when it comes to elitism, it still turns people away who don't fit the mold. I'm one of those people, but I find this board easier to navigate. I also feel as though the opinions expressed here are samples of what is to come, so I don't take too personally what I read and people need to have thicker skin.The search function still works for me, unless we're not talking about the same one.

you are on the right track...having a tough mind and take nothing personally...elitism is as easy to swat as a fly...aye do it every day...it is called having intelligence and wielding intelligence....

a great deal of intuition helps...this is something which can be sculpted and sharpened. 8)

AuNaturale

• View Profile
« Reply #54746 on: July 30, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
Ummm maybe an imaginary search function? I'll stick with that answer since its non-existent to the rest of the board. LOL

Also, thanks!! I try! :-D

Sands, wow... that was extremely close! It was God that intercepted that one.

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #54747 on: July 31, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
To those that have gone through OCI -

If you land interviews with a firm through both regional BLSA job fair and OCI bids, which one would you opt to cancel?

Factors I'm considering: 1) regional BLSA bid is selective vs. OCI random lottery at my LS; and 2) from what I observed last summer, regional BLSA job fair interviewers were predominantly associates vs. OCI interviewers were predominantly partners. 

Also, are there any other recommended factors I should take into account? 

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54748 on: August 01, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
That's interesting.  So they affirmatively selected you for the BLSA spot?  Normally, I would say go through OCI, but if they saw your resume and such and selected you for the job fair, then perhaps it would be better to go to that.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54749 on: August 03, 2009, 03:07:12 AM »
Totally naive questions:

1. Is it possible to contact the firm's recruiter and find out what it prefers?
2. Would it be the worst thing in the world to do both?

I'm obviously not an OCI person as I have been on a particular public interest track throughout LS.  Nonetheless, I did once work at an organization that did job fairs for (competitive) summer internship positions, and I think we would have been happy to give a little advice like this prior to an interview.

EDIT for typo
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.