Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1683408 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54720 on: July 11, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
Hi All,

need some personal advice on grades. I am rising 2L at a top 10 school gearing up for OCI. My grades are all around the school median (2.9-3.2) except my grade in property. I almost failed the course(below a 2.0). I was not sick during the exam, but the professor was very old school and apparently gave many low grades. After many attempts, the professor is unwilling to change the grade and I have no idea how to explain this situation to employers. I am interested in working for a firm, does this completely ruin my chances? I would really appreciate honest advice.

For a "market" firm you unfortunately may be dinged for OCI purposes, but for medium sized firms that's totally doable.  Most market (aka "BigLaw") firms have an automatic cut off of like 3.3 and above when it comes to GPA. (and that was when I came out during a good economy - I don't know what it is now)

That being said, if you come with a strong recommendation from a professor or a judge or another partner at another firm or especially from a partner at the firm you are applying to, it's been my experience that a good connection overrides everything.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

AuNaturale

• View Profile
« Reply #54721 on: July 16, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »
Oh no! Please don't think this board is dying! I have gotten sooo much advice from it and I'm very grateful for those who have contributed thus far! Yes, that makes me the dreaded lurker who doesn't post! Lol Guilty as charged. You have guilted me into speaking up and posting. You ole heads are good at it man!! Anywho, Hi all!!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54722 on: July 16, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Oh no! Please don't think this board is dying! I have gotten sooo much advice from it and I'm very grateful for those who have contributed thus far! Yes, that makes me the dreaded lurker who doesn't post! Lol Guilty as charged. You have guilted me into speaking up and posting. You ole heads are good at it man!! Anywho, Hi all!!

Well thanks for speaking up.  We need more folks to do the same.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54723 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
I can post about the goings on criminal courts in a large southeastern city. I got stories for days.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54724 on: July 16, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
kick it off
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54725 on: July 16, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
I can post about the goings on criminal courts in a large southeastern city. I got stories for days.

Bring 'em on, Eugene!  This is exactly the kind of entertainment my bar-addled brain needs.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54726 on: July 16, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
And I can post funny moments during oral arguments in a U.S. Court of Appeals.  My favorite:

Defense attorney to the panel after a judge notes the appellee's (yes, that's right...this was a rare downward departure case) criminal history: "Judge, armed robbery is as common as cheese!"

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54727 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »
And I can post funny moments during oral arguments in a U.S. Court of Appeals.  My favorite:

Defense attorney to the panel after a judge notes the appellee's (yes, that's right...this was a rare downward departure case) criminal history: "Judge, armed robbery is as common as cheese!"

:D

Also, I'd have to disagree.  It's perhaps as common as humus.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54728 on: July 17, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »
Also, I'd have to disagree.  It's perhaps as common as humus.

lol in the South...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54729 on: July 17, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
I have more than my fair share of some biglaw stories with partners, clients, and other associates that I can put out there as well.

I couldn't make some of this stuff up if I tried.
Charles H. Houston