Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1657899 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54700 on: July 04, 2009, 12:24:47 AM »
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

saks5th

• View Profile
« Reply #54701 on: July 04, 2009, 02:59:23 AM »
since I presently have no life, and check this thing quite often, I'll keep it alive, but I can't do it myself!!

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #54702 on: July 07, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
I think the disappearance of the search function, influx of spammers, and rampant d-dubbing (deleting all one's posts) make the site much less friendly to newcomers.  Some have suggested that cliquishness also plays a role; I'm not so sure.  BLSD and the on-topic areas don't seem too cliquish to me (and if they are, they were much worse back in the day).

ETA2: Also, the facts that the site breaks down and there are lots of database errors (e.g., posts not showing up as new, posts not showing up at all until you are in the "reply" view) don't help.

Agreed. I especially think the loss of the search function is a pretty big factor and it may be daunting to look through a lot of the old stuff.  And no one wants to repeat a topic that has already probably been discussed. But I basically chalk it up to folks being busier than they used to be. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54703 on: July 08, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

Yeah, it definitely ain't like it used to be.  It used to be, if you posted in this thread at 10am, and messed around and came back at noon on the same day, your post was easily about 5 or 6 pages back. And don't post something at night and then go to bed.  Done!  You'd come back and see 30 new pages of conversation took place while you were getting your beauty rest and your post, whatever it was, was long gone!

Now I understand that the alumni are busy. Of course.

What I don't understand is why a new crop of pre-law students are not coming in by the droves?  This site was one of the first things I looked up when I finally got my acceptance to law school.  Is there some other site that folks are flocking to now or are they just not flocking to anything in general?  And if not, what's the motivation to stay in hiding vs. coming out and meeting your potential classmates?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54704 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

Yeah, it definitely ain't like it used to be.  It used to be, if you posted in this thread at 10am, and messed around and came back at noon on the same day, your post was easily about 5 or 6 pages back. And don't post something at night and then go to bed.  Done!  You'd come back and see 30 new pages of conversation took place while you were getting your beauty rest and your post, whatever it was, was long gone!

What I don't understand is why a new crop of pre-law students are not coming in by the droves?  This site was one of the first things I looked up when I finally got my acceptance to law school.  Is there some other site that folks are flocking to now or are they just not flocking to anything in general?  And if not, what's the motivation to stay in hiding vs. coming out and meeting your potential classmates?

Most people are now at Top Law Schools.  It has a pretty sweet search function and is a really organized board.  Sad though because I've always liked LSD better and I think that LSD has better info for URM students.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54705 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

Most people are now at Top Law Schools.  It has a pretty sweet search function and is a really organized board.  Sad though because I've always liked LSD better and I think that LSD has better info for URM students.

I agree.  I've visited that site.  It sucks aesthetically.

However a SEARCH function would come in very handy. I can see how that could make a difference.  I don't know happened to our search function here. It used to work.  Perhaps that contributed to the decrease in traffic?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54706 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

However a SEARCH function would come in very handy. I can see how that could make a difference.  I don't know happened to our search function here. It used to work.  Perhaps that contributed to the decrease in traffic?

I'd put better-than-even money on that.

I know I gotta quote you quick before you poof and disappear! 

Yeah that's something I think I'm going to definitely have to talk to Andrew about.
Charles H. Houston

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #54707 on: July 08, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
Whatup Gemini!

Whatup Blk!

I'd put better-than-even money on that.

I know I gotta quote you quick before you poof and disappear! 

Yeah that's something I think I'm going to definitely have to talk to Andrew about.

Don't worry, you've got a couple hours before my next scheduled wipeout. ;)

The search function is really only one small part of the problem. I can see all of the options in the poll playing some part. This place is just very closed off to new blood. There's an old guard mentality that's also deeply rooted in top-tier school elitism in many cases. I think a lot of new people may be afraid to speak up because all they see is talk about the "T14" in every forum. Granted, it's not nearly as bad as XOXO or even TLS, but it's still there. Whether that's by accident or by design is irrelevant; it's the effect that matters. We're going to need a full-scale paradigm shift to make any headway. We need to draw out some of the lurkers who are going to lower-ranked schools, lay the smack down on people who ridicule or demean anyone who goes to a lower-ranked school than they do, and try to quash the "T14 or starve" posts before they get started. Yes, that's going to take some serious moderators and much heavier hands than have been seen in the past. But any major change does.

I agree it takes a thick skin to stick around here for very long if you don't fit the mold. But if we don't do something soon all that is going to be left is the regulars and that won't keep the place running or pay the bandwidth
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #54708 on: July 08, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
Well, in addition to the search function, I do think it's only natural for some folks to lurk for a bit before they post.  Did I?  Not really, I pretty much just got right in there.  But I could understand the thought behind lurking.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54709 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
There's an old guard mentality that's also deeply rooted in top-tier school elitism in many cases. I think a lot of new people may be afraid to speak up because all they see is talk about the "T14" in every forum.

I don't think that's the case with BLSD though.  Gone are the days when there were several outspoken Yalies, Harvardlings, Columbians, Michiganders, GULCites, and such dominating the board.  Now I think there's a fair mix of law school representation.