Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1691678 times)

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 02:49:09 PM »
Rigth now, it is a toss up between University of Detroit Mercy, Wayne State and University of San Francisco.  Maybe you already stated this, but where are you going again?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »
lawschool1916-

We will have to see about that. I'm not sure where I'm going. The LSAT will tell. On July, 7th I'll give everone more information. On July 7th, it's either Stanford of Samford LOL   ;)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 03:03:13 PM »
Hello everyone!  I think I read someone on this board is from or currently living in Sacramento?  I am in Sacramento as well, at least for the moment.  It looks it will be either, University of Detroit Mercy, Wayne State or University of San Francisco for me!!!  Nice the chat with some other future black attorneys, especially women since I am female and I don't meet a lot of us!

Well now you have met 2 more!  ;D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 12:00:08 PM »
916 - I think I've seen you around on here before.  What's up again.

So Nupe you are looking to go in the Fall of '05?  By the way I am the Assitant Keeper of Records for the alumni chapter here in KC.  Ladyday and Lavia are my partners in crime here on the board and we're always looking for some new recruits. so holla back.

Yo
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 10:34:50 PM »
I know this is a bit off the topic, but are there any Blacks/African Americans attending McGeorge this fall?  I was just admitted to the part-time evening program, my first choice!  I am so excited.  Sacramento is my home and I want to continue working with my current employer.  I've got bills to pay, including the 19,400 part-tiime tution at McGeorge!

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »
I won't be going to law school until fall 2005 but I am applying to McGeorge as well. I heard its a really good school and I would appreciate if you shared some insight or your feelings about the school.

DeltaLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 01:17:41 AM »
Hey everyone,

It's so nice to see so many African-American, future attorneys! Big shout-out to all the Greeks on the board (I represent DST 10-EB-Fall 99) and all those "Southern Folk"!  I will be attending The University of Oklahoma Law in the fall, so all you Rocky Mountain Region BLSA folks, look for me!  To DNW2007, I know several of the people in the Texas Tech BLSA chapter, so I'm sure that I'll see you at some point during the year.  Good luck to everyone on the board in your 1L year!

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 01:44:55 AM »
Anyone here going to McGeorge?  I was just accepted and plan to attend the part-time evening program.

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 02:13:10 AM »
Delta Law,

I visited OU ls. Actually, it's the only ls I've visited, because I was out that way this past April. If you don't mind me asking, what other schools were on your list and why did you pick OU? Their new library and renovations really make the school look well endowed.

DeltaLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 02:28:44 AM »
jd4me,

OU Law has a beautiful campus, and a very active BLSA chapter. Here are the schools I applied to and my status:
SMU Law- accepted, no $$
University of Houston- waitlisted
South Texas College of Law- accepted, $5000
Texas Wesleyan- accepted, full tuition
Oklahoma City University- accepted, $2000
OU Law- accepted, $2000
Texas- BIG rejection!

I chose OU because the facilities are top-notch, the professors and administration are very helpful and knowledgeable, and a law degree from OU is portable throughout the Southwest region.  I hope to go back to Texas to practice, and many of the Texas BIGLAW firms hire OU Law grads. And, to be honest with you, paying out-of-state tuition at OU costs about the same as all the private schools, and SMU Law is about $10,000 more per year than OU. I felt very welcomed by the BLSA people when I came for my campus visit, and several of the students have kept in touch with me since then.  I believe I made the right decision!

Delta Law,

I visited OU ls. Actually, it's the only ls I've visited, because I was out that way this past April. If you don't mind me asking, what other schools were on your list and why did you pick OU? Their new library and renovations really make the school look well endowed.