Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1703108 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54650 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
Is anyone watching the Oscars..is that a tattoo on Whoopi?

I think it was indeed. 

I was hoping Taraji Henson took the supporting actress but I suppose Penelope Cruz is not a bad choice.

I knew the Heath Ledge choice was a lock.

I'm predicting Slumdog Millionaire for best picture, and I'm calling Kate Winslet for best actress and Mickey Rourke for best actor.  The time is now 10:45 pm eastern.  Let's see if I'm right.

Eh, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54651 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:37 AM »
I was hoping Taraji Henson took the supporting actress but I suppose Penelope Cruz is not a bad choice.

Ditto, but I think this nomination will help her to get more great roles.  More of the "right" roles.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54652 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »

I think it was indeed. 

I'm predicting Slumdog Millionaire for best picture, and I'm calling Kate Winslet for best actress and Mickey Rourke for best actor.  The time is now 10:45 pm eastern.  Let's see if I'm right.

Mickey Rourke got robbed.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54653 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:19 PM »

I think it was indeed. 

Mickey Rourke got robbed.

I agree
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54654 on: February 25, 2009, 03:49:40 AM »
mickey deserved it...penn should stick to acting...any political bullshite actors bring up in an entertainment venue shows some small balls...this guy is a coward...

entertain sean...s.t.f.u. about politics.

cruz was great but slumdog milionaire was actually mundane in comparison to other films up for the award...there are plenty of baliwood films which were better than that...aye guess hollywood is overly westernized...this is old stuff...not new at all...not nearly cutting edge as some have gushed...

hugh jackman was entertaining and whoopi is still a no talent yawner...

will smith...pure talent.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54655 on: March 01, 2009, 10:36:48 PM »
mickey deserved it...penn should stick to acting...any political bullshite actors bring up in an entertainment venue shows some small balls...this guy is a coward...

There are a lot of fair criticisms of Penn (narcissism comes to mind), but cowardice is hardly one of them.  He has visited Cuba and Iran and met with troops and done fact-finding in Iraq (multiple times) and Afghanistan.  He's also the only straight actor I know who plays gay characters without feeling the need to talk about how difficult it is.  His anti-8 speech was directly related to the subject of the movie -- and the real person whose life he brought to the screen.   
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54656 on: March 04, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

There are a lot of fair criticisms of Penn (narcissism comes to mind), but cowardice is hardly one of them.  He has visited Cuba and Iran and met with troops and done fact-finding in Iraq (multiple times) and Afghanistan.  He's also the only straight actor I know who plays gay characters without feeling the need to talk about how difficult it is.  His anti-8 speech was directly related to the subject of the movie -- and the real person whose life he brought to the screen.   

sorry...the guy is a coward...during an entertainment show he should talk about acting...he looked stupid...very nervous and it took him down a few notches in the list of great actors...brando once did a similar thing...but even sent in someone else to accept his award...it was stupid and cowardly back then and had nothing to do with acting...joe pesci once won an oscar for goodfellas...he didn't go into a diatribe about the mafia...organized crime...or the psychology of the mob..

that venue is to thank people...talk about acting and s.t.f.u. about everything else...aye turned the shite off for three minutes when he started regurgitating...it was embarrassing for penn...

if aye want to know about the electrical wiring in my house aye don't listen to what a doctor has to say about the matter...

mia farrow is a brave actress...penn is a coward...do real work behind the scenes if you believe in something...discuss your cause in the right venue..e.g. "charlie rose"...and don't act the fool....go on an award show and take a dump on the stage...aye lost much respect for penn...

maybe...maybe....aye will rent his movies from now on...but aye'm not shelling out money for his big screen acting at the cinema...

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54657 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »
You are so insane!  You didn't even watch his speech and it's going to make you stop going to his movies?  He's like the greatest American actor of his generation.  Reading your posts makes my eyes itch.  And Mia Farrow, seriously?  Dude went to effing Iraq and paid to put his observations in newspapers nationwide.  Yes, that's narcissistic, but it certainly isn't cowardly.  Charlie Rose, my foot.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

The Fresh Prince

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54658 on: March 05, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »
Question to my fellow future/current or former law students...what did you do for money while in law school? Between the ABA policy on not working, plus the fact that it's not a smart decision academically, whats the alternative? My parents are in no position to fully take care of me so that's out the picture. Just wondering how others handled the situation.
you're wrong. Also, your avatar and your name don't make any sense. Step your game up, son.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54659 on: March 07, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »
Loans.