Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1683585 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #54130 on: June 21, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »
this guy gets so many prank calls in one evening! hilarious. its slow in the beginning and then its just too funny.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54131 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »
OK, the O.J. one was funny :D

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54132 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:19 PM »
this guy gets so many prank calls in one evening! hilarious. its slow in the beginning and then its just too funny.

lol... i forgot to add the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIEHI0vfCBk&feature=related
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54133 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »
Lol hood-rat boy is going to be on Judge Judy:

http://www.dlisted.com/node/26740

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #54134 on: June 24, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

I'm so f'in DEAD.  I'm definitely going to DVR this...any idea when this will air?
Columbia 3L

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54135 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »

oh *&^%!  I gotta see this one.
Michigan 2L

kj311

• View Profile
« Reply #54136 on: June 25, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
actually you're looking pretty good.  LSDAS is going to use your temple GPA b/c that's where your degree is from, and with a score in the 160's you are competitive for most top schools.  Not the upper elite 1st tier, but probably some of the lower 1st tiers and most of the 2nd tiers. The 2.8 in biochem is not bad but it will have you  at a slight disadvantage to some of these english and basket weaving majors that will be applying.

Hey all,

First off, just found this board yesterday and i love it. It keeps me thoroughly entertained. I had a question about the LSDAS gpa calculations. I remember hearing that their calculations can drop your gpa. Is this true? How much of a drop are we talking?

Btw, I'm on the fence about law school (160K debt horrifies me -- especially since i graduated with ~20K in loans) and I'm giving myself until the end of the year to decide (targeting 2010 entering class should i decide to go). Between now and fall of 2010, I intend to do a lot of traveling and chilling. I currently work as a paralegal in a small section of the corp. department at a V40 firm in nyc. I perform menial tasks but i get really interested in what the attorneys are doing, talk to them about the process and client, get excited then remember the law school price tag. I graduated with an O.K. gpa from NYU partly because of personal reasons and partly because i wasn't too fond of the school. I will be on the site pretty often and i just wanted to introduce myself to the board. ;)   
haha, i get it...wait, what?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54137 on: June 25, 2008, 04:42:49 PM »
Welcome :).  LSDAS calculates your GPA based on all college courses you have taken, not just those at your primary undergraduate institution.  So, for instance, if you took a course or two at a college during high school, that will factor in.  This can be good or bad, depending on how well you did.

Don't worry about debt until you get your finaid figures.  Then you can make an informed decision.  People often do not pay the full sticker price for law school.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54138 on: June 26, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »
I just wanted to add that another way LSDAS can drop your GPA is if your school has an unorthodox valuation system for plus and minus grades.  For instance, if your school counts an A- as a 3.75 and B+ as a 3.25 and you have more A- than B+ on your transcript, you will see a drop.  I believe LSDAS calculates plus and minus grades as +/- 0.33.

Good luck, kj311!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

kj311

• View Profile
« Reply #54139 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Another question:

I know a lot of people who say they would like to go into public interest but end up in the corporate lane because of their loans. It seems like a horrible cycle to take on massive debt, be forced to look into biglaw(ish) for 5-10 years, get accustomed to the money and lifestyle and end up staying. I've also heard of schools that offer loan forgiveness if you stay in public interest for a certain amount of years but given the number of graduates that have that carry high debt, I imagine this isn't a common practice.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this site as well as some dismal articles that discuss the job market for new attorneys. One thing that stuck with me was the high rate of turnover for attorneys in public defenders offices mostly due to the inability to payoff the loans they incur from law school. I know its best to cast you net wide when application season rolls around but if you want to do public interest work, does it really matter as long as you keep your grades up? Would it be best to choose the school that gives you the most money but may not be as prestigious or always choose the prestigious school because it may carry you further? Just wondering...

haha, i get it...wait, what?