Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1678896 times)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #53870 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »
Hello,
So i was wondering.... is there anyone that will be attending John Marshall Law School in Chicago? or is there anyone who knows anything about the Chicago area? I am from MA and lived on the east coast most of my life. The idea of moving to Chicago does scare me because i keep hearing its cold. I am just apprehensive about the move and financing my education. Any insight? ???

Bombastic..you are from MA (Massachusetts) are you are scared of moving to Chicago because its cold? For real?

***my comment was before seeing Blk's response.***

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53871 on: April 29, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »
Done! Phew!  :)

Wait, wasn't y'all's graduation last weekend?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53872 on: April 29, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »
Done! Phew!  :)

Wait, wasn't y'all's graduation last weekend?

Undergrads.  Which is great because it's so much quieter here, but also sucks because some of the services stop.  I usually take a shuttle to school and take the Nightride home if I'm gonna be there late, but both have stopped running for the summer.   >:(
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53873 on: April 29, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
Ah OK.  Some grad/prof schools too.  One of my friends went up to see a friend graduate from the school of public health.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53874 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
An Emerging Legal Trend: Professors Suing Their Students?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:44 PM - By Kashmir Hill

Richard Peltz teaches torts and con law at the William H. Bowen School of Law at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Within Arkansas, he is a well-known expert on freedom of speech, cited by the Arkansas Supreme Court. In 2005, he exercised his freedom of speech while talking about affirmative action during a con law lecture. From the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

In that class, Peltz displayed a satirical article about the death of Rosa Parks and made comments about friends who weren’t admitted to law school because of affirmative action, according to a letter students wrote about a year and a half later to law school Dean Chuck Goldner. The students also said Peltz promised to give black students who scored as high as white students an extra point on the final exam.

Apparently, the satirical article was Now We Can Finally Put Civil Rights Behind Us, from the Onion.

Though the issue was resolved in 2005, the allegations of racism reemerged in 2007, during a controversy over there being no black students on the Law Review. (The admissions website says the school has 440 students, and that 30% of the 2007 entering class was "of color.")

From this description, it sounds like there's a race war brewing at the UALR's Law School. And Professor Peltz just put himself in the middle of it, suing his black students and Arkansas's black law association for defamation:

In a nine-page lawsuit filed last week, he complains that the defendants, students Valerie D. Nation of Little Rock and Chrishuana L. Clark of Pine Bluff, who are officers or former officers with the university’s Black Law Student Association, and attorney Eric Spencer Buchanan, president of the W. Harold Flowers Law Society, have been making false accusations against him around the law school and statewide legal community since the fall of 2005. In the lawsuit, he asks for unspecified punitive and compensatory damages.

Ironically, if Peltz's suit is successful, it may limit speech on campus, says Jonathan Knight, director of programs on academic freedom and tenure at the American Association of University Professors in Washington, in the Gazette.

Getting sued by your law professor? Worst. Homework. Ever.

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/04/lawsuit_of_the_day_law_prof_su.php

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53875 on: April 29, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »
I have met one of the named defendants, and I am quite sure she won't take this lying down.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #53876 on: April 29, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
That's really great press for Arkansas. Damn.
Michigan '11

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53877 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
If a prof here sued the black students...yeah, that would pretty much be the end of him.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53878 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »
If a prof here sued the black students...yeah, that would pretty much be the end of him.

The extra point offer is absolutely outrageous.  He should be fired.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

AmericanGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Huge soccer fan, obviously...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53879 on: April 29, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »
This is the same Arkansas that wanted to recruit me to go there because it's a "burgeoning law school" that "has good minority representation," right? Wow...
"Please stop using obscenities in front of these people, or I'll be forced to thrash you."