Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

lex19

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #13720 on: April 28, 2005, 12:32:57 PM »

And I wonder...why do WE have to egage with them?? They can get through life and never have to worry about a "minority"

when's the last time you got through the day in a city/town without seeing a white person?

SalmonRho

• 164/3.98 - Hoping for Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: April 28, 2005, 12:34:30 PM »
Hey guys what do you think of this dress for graduation?

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2852954&boutique=dresses_n_occasion&category=2376776~2374327~2374331~6001777~6001752&NextStyleID=none&PrevStyleID=2854201

3 peat what are you wearing?

I'm not crazy about that one.  The fabric and style looks cheap.  Try looking at ArdenB, BCBG, or Anne Klein.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #13722 on: April 28, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
blk, i definitly feel that article and can say i saw the very same thing happening at my undergrad campus...for example there were a handful of us that new "what we were getting into" by attending a medium sized private new england school, b/c we had been at high schools that prepped us for the experience...with that i think it was alot easier for me and couple of my firends to develop friendships/networks/relationships with non-minority peers, professors and non-minority/black groups.....then there was an even larger group of black students that only hung out with other black students and participated in black/minortiy organizations....i think that these organizations are great outlets for us on predominatly white campuses, but reality is that this is still a white man's world and after graduation AHANA (minority assoc. on my campus) won't be there to help you with obtaining a job and all that good stuff.....so in my eyes the problem is, is that minority (black/latino) students aren't being forced to mingle/integrate, whatever you want to call it with the masses at predominatly white schools and are therefore a couple of steps behind when graduation roles around....i hope i don't sound "uncle tommish" or anything, but that's just how i feel...i hated going to a high school where my graduating class only had 5 blacks out of 105, but i learned alot through the experience and am able to appreciate where i come from even more......

Do you think it matters if you mingle with whites? Join their frat...go to their church....play golf with them on the weekend...date them.....live with them...etc? Do you think that's going to give you and edge?

And I wonder...why do WE have to egage with them?? They can get through life and never have to worry about a "minority"

I've said it all along. We don't want to focus on building our own wealth and power. We don't want to keep our money in black banks and make these banks so powerful that whites would invest with us as well. We would rather give everything to them. Live in their neighborhood, go to their schools, marry them, and basically be everywhere they are.

The african american community has something unique and we should use the most beautiful aspects of our culture to attract money to our community. Everybody went to Harlem or Sugar Hill when they wanted to hear good music, and eat the best food. However, we don't want Harlem/ownership/power in alabama, californai, and georgia. We just want a job. But, hey. Who am I? We can talk about this all day and night. jeez.   

« Reply #13723 on: April 28, 2005, 12:37:55 PM »

when's the last time you got through the day in a city/town without seeing a white person?

I understand that.  But why does it seem that we have to engage with them.  The pressure is always on the minority to "assimilate".  If it's a white man's world then he shouldn't feel threatened to interact with minorities. But thats not how it works..unfortunately...

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: April 28, 2005, 12:38:24 PM »
Hello Salmon. :)  Did you hear anything from Duke yet?

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #13725 on: April 28, 2005, 12:38:44 PM »

This is a simple question. Why do we have to do business with whites ALL the time? What can't they do business with us at least sometimes?

SalmonRho

• 164/3.98 - Hoping for Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: April 28, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »

Oh, I am not applying till next cycle.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: April 28, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »

Oh, I am not applying till next cycle.

Well good luck.  :)

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: April 28, 2005, 12:41:30 PM »

You would have lost to LSU that year, luckily you all were TOO scared to play them.
guy, the presidency is going to your head - USC is never scared to play anyone; but for the contractual obligatoin that he coaches were under, the coaches would have voted USC as a concensus #1 (period)

Did none of y'all see what SC did to Oklahoma. I don't think LSU or anybody else wants a piece of that.

Hey 3peat, where you headed? I think we were considering some of the same schools, but I am likely headed to UT

If UT play SC next year it would be the best, but I doubt it.

i sent my deposit in to GULC on monday   :) ;D

wanna buy my house?????????
can i pay for it with muse's good looks? :P

She aint THAT good looking.

faith2005

« Reply #13729 on: April 28, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
well, i agree with not necessarily having to engage with white folks, in the sense that I choose my friends of all races in the same way. I don't have any black friends who are not about social justice/activism, even if thats not their life's work, so why should I have any white friends who don't care about those things? for me its not about just meeting white people and having white friends just for the sake of being around people of different cultures. simply interacting with white people is something different. I think that pwi's give you a crash course in that, but so does any work environment and some neighborhoods as well. who knows? i just think that most pwi's know what would make their students of color more comfortable, they just make a choice nto to do so. Some more ways that they could improve the situation, replacing work study with grants and allowing more students of color the opportunity to study, rather try to hold down 2-3 jobs. opening up forums for organizations of color to make their issues known b/f the entire student body. strengthening honor courts/disciplinary committees to deal effectively with issues of racial bias/discrimination on campus. instituting diversity requirements for all freshman...etc.