Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #6180 on: January 11, 2005, 10:01:44 PM »
yeah the burbs are null and void in the NYC

thanks Ladyday- what's your specialization?

Regal_Muse

« Reply #6181 on: January 11, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »
So blk, does ranking really matter when it's time to find jobs? Did you face any road blocks? Should I got to the higher ranked school or go where the money is.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #6182 on: January 11, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »

Cali - Let me know if you are interested in McGeorge.

Yeah I applied to them cause it was free and plus I really like their government focus but I hate their Sacramento location. Its too backwards out there.

Boy please

that's just the thing....there ain't no damn suburbs out here!!  don't make us start comparing the city to the Bay, you don't want it

Thats another discussion.  ;D But you get my point tho? All the most desireable places are the most expensive. Sucks for me cause the only place I like are the Bay, DC and NY.

TLFKARG

« Reply #6183 on: January 11, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »
Actually I'm at a crossroads.. I'm trying to decide what I want to do exactly. I'm not sure if I want to practice at this point or go into a completely different direction all together.

Well the JD/MA program allowed 12 JD credits to transfer into the MA program. I had some grad credit from my undergrad institution so I finished in 3.5 yrs. I think that it was worth it because it has given me the opportunity to explore other career options. I didn't want to be restricted to practice. I have been more concerned with International Policy as of late.
I just recently relocated to Houston from DC and the market is extremely soft down here.
I ordered a LOT of books when I was prepping and I suggest that you begin to study second yr so that the pressure won't be as tough as it would be if you wait til third yr.
I didn't work my first yr summer, I needed a break lol.

Burning Sands: I didn't even think about the fact that you were in NYC so I know you feel me on the expenses lol.

Welcome to the board!  I think you set yourself up for a question-answer frenzy, as we are all curious to learn as much as we can from you. ;) ;D

Could I ask you what you did during your 1L and 2L summers? Also, do you have a job offer or are you looking to take some time off before getting in the daily grind?  If one was to have a choice, which option would you recommend?

I am getting so stressed out trying to get a Summer Associate position.  The competition at firms here in California is brutal, so I am venturing out to some Southern cities (I would like to end up back there eventually), hoping that the prestige of my school will trump my relative lack of experience and 1L status.  Can you recommend some strategies for securing a position for a fresh-out-of-undergrad 1L?

Thanks in advance.

I'll stop asking law questions, I promise!  

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: January 11, 2005, 10:10:37 PM »
blk_reign: Welcome to BLSD!  Nice to have someone other than pre law and lL's on the board. (not that I don't love all ya'll!!)  I'm a 1L now who can't sleep.  

Burning Sands: How ya liking Civ Pro??? ;) And is there something in the water for 1L's that makes us unable to sleep?

Regal: I'm not really a "starving" law student, but seeing that just makes me mad.  Are you trying to start something? >:( >:( >:(  If she was in dire straights, she should have taken the money.  But to tell the whole neighborhood about it, that's just wrong. Furthermore, this should be a temporary solution to a problem not a permanent one in order to live as a "starving artist."

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: January 11, 2005, 10:12:48 PM »
blk reign - that's wsup.  I feel that.  keep your options open.  to be honest with you, i only want to practice, at most, for 5 years year out of law school. (patents) Probably not even that.  i'm looking to do real estate development. I have an architctural engineering background.  But now that my partner in crime ladyday has made her list I have my own list for you:

#1. did you take barbri for the Bar and was it necessary?
#2. how is the hiring going out there for firms in this Bush era economy?
#3. is their any truth in the hype about regional schools vs. "top 14 schools" and getting a job anywhere you want?
#4. which is worse, a B in a substantive class or a B in LRW?

« Reply #6186 on: January 11, 2005, 10:16:25 PM »
I spent my 1L summer recouping from undergrad, my second yr of grad school and my first yr of law school. Basically I sat in my apt the entire summer trying to figure out why I chose social suicide LOL. My 2L I worked for Holland and Knight.

I had a job offer- turned it down because of a death in my fam. Timing is everything.

It would probably be easier for you to find a job on the east coast as opposed to the West. DC is a bit more flexible with 1L's.

Burning Sands: Real Estate Development huh? Interesting. I've been thinking about Real Estate as well and Will and Trusts as of late.

TLFKARG

« Reply #6187 on: January 11, 2005, 10:17:45 PM »
blk reign - that's wsup.  I feel that.  keep your options open.  to be honest with you, i only want to practice, at most, for 5 years year out of law school. (patents) Probably not even that.  i'm looking to do real estate development. I have an architctural engineering background.  But now that my partner in crime ladyday has made her list I have my own list for you:

#3. is their any truth in the hype about regional schools vs. "top 14 schools" and getting a job anywhere you want?
Boy, I know I am not hearing you female dog about B's over there.  ::) Bend over -- Mama Ruskie is about to come over there and give you a spanking! :P :-*

« Reply #6188 on: January 11, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »
blk reign - that's wsup.  I feel that.  keep your options open.  to be honest with you, i only want to practice, at most, for 5 years year out of law school. (patents) Probably not even that.  i'm looking to do real estate development. I have an architctural engineering background.  But now that my partner in crime ladyday has made her list I have my own list for you:

I didn't take any barbri courses and I did fine with the bar. Sometimes independent study is better than shelling out $$$. I firmly believe there's a hiring freeze depending on where you're located. B in LRW is worse IMO.  The Hype is just what it is...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: January 11, 2005, 10:22:02 PM »
SMU - for the record, Civ Pro sucks.  thank you.  Oh and yeah every now and again everybody "can't sleep" on the same night.  Remember that night last week when we D-Bo'd that URM thread?  classic.  And don't be talkin bout my food stamps!

Rich - yeah you ain't never lied.  My boy lived in a shoebox apt. in lower east side for $1500 a month.  Crazy.  DC's better as far as apartments, but houses...forget about it.

Blk Reign - yeah that's been the plan from the jump actually.  Had always been interested in the law and wanted to combine it with my background.  Thanks for the input.