Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Victor

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #5950 on: January 08, 2005, 11:30:17 AM »

But unfortunately back to work.  LadyDay, you didn't tell me it was raining out here! :(

I know right, LadyDay you are supposed to be a our Sam Champion . . . chop chop!!!

BurningSands when you say back to work, do you mean law school or do you work as well?

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: January 08, 2005, 11:36:41 AM »
Hello people, this might be long so bear with me. Input greatly appreciated. Newbie/lurker here. Find you all fascinating, interesting sometimes very funny.I Just don't post. Anyway, abt to finish undergrad in Houston and having a really hard time deciding what school to go to. Grew up in Nigeria, Chicago, Houston. I'm 21 been in houston past 5 years. I want to get out asap, was seriously considering Health law- Got into Houston Law- one of the best programs. However with a nice scholarship to Howard, and admission to Rutgers, I feel I am being given an opportunity to get out. Houston, Howard, Rutgers are the only schools i am still considering at the moment. Houston is ranked higher however the desire to move is strong (only child, overprotective mother). Anyway, the question is- is it a wise decision to go to a lower ranked school just cos I want to move to a different area? (I would not mind working in Tx or NJ, DC area. I would like to go somewhere else now) It would be way cheaper for me to stay in Tx..(no rent, free food etc) At Rutgers- I would not qualify for in-state (not soon) anyway, i am not a US citizen, The scholarship to Howard would minimize debt, but how much weight to rankings carry?? Once again, input would be greatly appreciated.

Are you male or female?

Have you ever been to the NJ area?

Try visiting Rutgers and the NJ first. What dont you like about Houston?

zya

« Reply #5952 on: January 08, 2005, 11:49:54 AM »
Female. I visit Jersey often. Have family, friends there.
Houston?? I am just bored with Houston. I wish I could really elaborate on that but i am quite simply bored with the city, and abt 2/3 of the ppl I meet. Also I if I stay here i would stay at home, Houston being a commuter college- it would feel the same as undergrad just with more work. I am afraid my personal growth might be stunted..Lol. HTMS.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: January 08, 2005, 11:51:52 AM »

But unfortunately back to work.  LadyDay, you didn't tell me it was raining out here! :(

I know right, LadyDay you are supposed to be a our Sam Champion . . . chop chop!!!

BurningSands when you say back to work, do you mean law school or do you work as well?

Just law school, bruh.  That's enough as it is.

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: January 08, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
Sands--I got my Con Law book yesterday. I kid you not, it is bigger than my study Bible and almost twice the size of my civil procedure book.  Sigh.  Monday for you, huh? Yesterday was my first day back.  Hope the studying is going well.  I've got three hours of civ pro behind me--and civ pro is actually my favorite class so let me know if I can help you out.

zya

« Reply #5955 on: January 08, 2005, 12:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the input mobell, very practical- thts why I am having a hard time convincing myself to leave. UH has a great program and it is a great city. I would like to be somewhere different. I have lived on my own and I have visited DC and Jersey, I like both places. Visited Howard but haven't been to Rutgers yet, I will tho.

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: January 08, 2005, 12:11:35 PM »
zya--I agree with mobell. Oh, and welcome to BLSD.  :)
It is possible to get some independence in the same city as your mom.  I was in a similar situation.  So I got an apartment.  A lot of times just branching out lets the parents know that you are serious.  So if you think Houston is worth it, then just make a move.  

However, I'd be lyng if I told you that finances weren't a big deal.  Getting student loans is no joke, and if there's any way you can avoid or minimize them, you should.  Living with your mom seems like a good financial option, but trust me, your sanity as a 1L is much more important than that kind of financial savings.  Plus, you won't be doing a lot of partying or social things once you get to where the 1Ls are (such as Burning Sands, Ladyday, and myself).

Visiting the places is also a good idea.  Also look at apartment rates or even on campus living options in order to save money. I would go to the school that I felt most comfortable at, that would do the least bit of financial damage.

And no matter how controlling and overprotective your parents are, remember that this is your life and you are in control.  Good luck.   :)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: January 08, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Sands--I got my Con Law book yesterday. I kid you not, it is bigger than my study Bible and almost twice the size of my civil procedure book.  Sigh.  Monday for you, huh? Yesterday was my first day back.  Hope the studying is going well.  I've got three hours of civ pro behind me--and civ pro is actually my favorite class so let me know if I can help you out.

You and these favorite classes!!!  Just because you said that, I now know that I will hate civ pro just like I hated contracts.  What's with you and liking the worst classes?

smujd2007

• January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: January 08, 2005, 12:27:04 PM »
Sands--I got my Con Law book yesterday. I kid you not, it is bigger than my study Bible and almost twice the size of my civil procedure book. Sigh. Monday for you, huh? Yesterday was my first day back. Hope the studying is going well. I've got three hours of civ pro behind me--and civ pro is actually my favorite class so let me know if I can help you out.

You and these favorite classes!!! Just because you said that, I now know that I will hate civ pro just like I hated contracts. What's with you and liking the worst classes?

They're not the worst.  They're the most draining and time consuming.  You will stare at a civil procedure rule for three hours just trying to understand it.Yeah, its only three pages, but they cram so much into those three pages that its insane.  And then, if you have any hope of catching every possible issue on an exam, you have to outline the rules (this is on top of outlining for the course). 

Oh, and I like Con Law too, even though carrying that book around is going to give me muscle aches.  :) ;) :D  I took a con law class in undergrad and was mad when the semester ended.

Law school is weird . .  its the thing you would love to hate, but at the end of the day the assignments are actually interesting and fun, and you can't wait to go back for another round!!!  :) ;) :D ;D   

Remind me about this delusion when legal writing briefs are due. ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::)

We are doing this so that we can have better lives, Sands.  Remember that when you're burning the midnight oil. :) :D Oh, and for racial uplift, and a whole bunch of other reasons.  Sometimes, when people talk to me about what they expect me to accomplish, I feel like the "Great Black Hope".

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: January 08, 2005, 12:40:19 PM »
Just law school, bruh.  That's enough as it is.

Man . . . good luck this semester.