Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
20 (37%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.4%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (18.5%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.6%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.7%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.4%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
11 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Black Law Student Discussion Board

A.

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #53170 on: January 18, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »
Lol agreed with 7s re: exchange and analysis.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53171 on: January 18, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »
Hmmm Scientology makes some good points.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53172 on: January 18, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »
Hmmm Scientology makes some good points.

Dont do it

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53173 on: January 18, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
:D @ this whole exchange.

I don't think the noose is the issue. The issue is that it seems to mock the history behind the noose, which makes the image all the more insulting. Notice the tongue-and-cheek headline "Caught in a Noose." Time could have put a noose on the cover with a substantive headline and article about lynching/racism and there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

If Ebony put out an issue with Auschwitz on the cover and a headline saying "It's Getting Hot in Herr," Jewish people would be justifably insulted. Dont you think LadyKD?

I am sure Jewish people would be offended. But I more outrage that the magazine keeps the ignorance going and like good sheep..the public and media jump at ever comment no matter the intent.    The golf editor was looking to keep the story hot and I would bet Golfweek sold more magazines and had more hits to their website from this one stunt than they have had in years.  The golf reporter who made the comments about Tiger Woods has known Tiger for 12 years she meant him no ill will and Tiger didnt seem instantly offend he blew it off accepted her apology done.  I think more people were mad that Tiger didnt get offended.  Now this magazine adds more fodder and sheep jump all over it. It is like a never ending cycle. I guess with the idiotic decision of this guy, Al Sharpton will call for a boycott of golf next.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53174 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »

I don't think the noose is the issue. The issue is that it seems to mock the history behind the noose, which makes the image all the more insulting. Notice the tongue-and-cheek headline "Caught in a Noose." Time could have put a noose on the cover with a substantive headline and article about lynching/racism and there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

If Ebony put out an issue with Auschwitz on the cover and a headline saying "It's Getting Hot in Herr," Jewish people would be justifably insulted. Dont you think LadyKD?

I am sure Jewish people would be offended. But I more outrage that the magazine keeps the ignorance going and like good sheep..the public and media jump at ever comment no matter the intent.    The golf editor was looking to keep the story hot and I would bet Golfweek sold more magazines and had more hits to their website from this one stunt than they have had in years.  The golf reporter who made the comments about Tiger Woods has known Tiger for 12 years she meant him no ill will and Tiger didnt seem instantly offend he blew it off accepted her apology done.  I think more people were mad that Tiger didnt get offended.  Now this magazine adds more fodder and sheep jump all over it. It is like a never ending cycle. I guess with the idiotic decision of this guy, Al Sharpton will call for a boycott of golf next.

Tiger's cablasian. He doesn't understand.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53175 on: January 18, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »

I am sure Jewish people would be offended. But I more outrage that the magazine keeps the ignorance going and like good sheep..the public and media jump at ever comment no matter the intent.    The golf editor was looking to keep the story hot and I would bet Golfweek sold more magazines and had more hits to their website from this one stunt than they have had in years.  The golf reporter who made the comments about Tiger Woods has known Tiger for 12 years she meant him no ill will and Tiger didnt seem instantly offend he blew it off accepted her apology done.  I think more people were mad that Tiger didnt get offended.  Now this magazine adds more fodder and sheep jump all over it. It is like a never ending cycle. I guess with the idiotic decision of this guy, Al Sharpton will call for a boycott of golf next.

The bolded is the reason for the outrage. All of the other stuff is a non-issue. It's ironic that in reporting "alleged" racism, the magazine is guilty of "actual" racism.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53176 on: January 18, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »

I am sure Jewish people would be offended. But I more outrage that the magazine keeps the ignorance going and like good sheep..the public and media jump at ever comment no matter the intent.    The golf editor was looking to keep the story hot and I would bet Golfweek sold more magazines and had more hits to their website from this one stunt than they have had in years.  The golf reporter who made the comments about Tiger Woods has known Tiger for 12 years she meant him no ill will and Tiger didnt seem instantly offend he blew it off accepted her apology done.  I think more people were mad that Tiger didnt get offended.  Now this magazine adds more fodder and sheep jump all over it. It is like a never ending cycle. I guess with the idiotic decision of this guy, Al Sharpton will call for a boycott of golf next.

The bolded is the reason for the outrage. All of the other stuff is a non-issue. It's ironic that in reporting "alleged" racism, the magazine is guilty of "actual" racism.

Correct, but the funny part to me is that the editor had no idea why people were outraged.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #53177 on: January 18, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
Unless I am  a subscriber to this magazine I dont give a flying (&(&k that there is a noose on the cover. This is such a non-damn issue. Hell if I was I still wouldnt care. This bs is eventually going to have to stop. I wonder if the same outrage would come if that same damn noose was hanging on the cover of Ebony or Jet.

Is there anything that doesn't make you mad, KD, aside from these instances of public racial insensitivity in the first place?

::)

Lol agreed with 7s re: exchange and analysis.

Ditto.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #53178 on: January 18, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »
That's a lot of agreement tonight, Miss P :P

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #53179 on: January 18, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
That's a lot of agreement tonight, Miss P :P

What can I say?  You're doing okay today, Alci.  That, and I'll be sure to get my soul checked out in the next couple of days.