Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1596168 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #52940 on: January 09, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
gawd I hate that class.  Trying to study for it now.  I have E&E, but I really don't like the paragraph format when trying to cram for finals.  I should have been reading that all along instead of doing the reading assigned for the class, which was a total waste.  I just ordered the new Gilbert's, since a friend has it and it looks like it has decent outlines.  It's out of stock everywhere though, so I had to get it from an Amazon private seller. (and no, I'm not worried about passing...but supposedly I need to know this stuff for the clerkship, so...)

:D

I loved fed courts until the exam!  But I used a different casebook from yours, and I know yours is supposed to be beastly.  (As an aside, I am concerned that our mutual friend blames me for taking fed courts because I was so enthusiastic about it and quite a pusher.)  I can't really imagine what a good fed courts supplement looks like, though.

Yeah bad casebook + bad prof = bad course

awww I didn't think he was a bad prof. Then again, I felt class time was useless...so...

Exactly.  Bad prof.

Lol and I'm amused that the censor changes "bad" to "bad."  It should be "poopy" :D

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52941 on: January 09, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
Lol I knew the Re'm would get on it!  He's been bored lately.  Two weeks is some bull though:

Golf Channel announcer suspended 2 weeks for 'lynch' Tiger comment
By Ron Sirak
GolfWorld.com

Kelly Tilghman, the Golf Channel anchor who during Friday's broadcast from the Mercedes-Benz Championship said while discussing Tiger Woods' dominance that young players on the PGA Tour should "lynch him in a back alley," was suspended two weeks Wednesday for the remark.

The move came after a wave of outrage that included a call for her to be fired by civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton and despite a statement from the Woods camp saying, "It is a complete non-issue."

Sharpton said the fact Woods did not call for punishment of Tilghman does not mean the comment was not offensive to African-Americans.

"That's the same thing Don Imus said," Sharpton said on CNN Headline News Wednesday, referring to the radio shock-jock's racially offensive comments about the Rutgers University women's basketball team. "[He said] 'I want to talk to the Rutgers girls' and not talk about the insult he said on all blacks."

Sharpton said the issue of hanging strikes a raw nerve among African-Americans.

"If I got on this show and said I wanted to put some Jewish-American in a gas chamber, I don't care what context I said it in, the entire Jewish community would have the right to say I should be put off this show or my radio show if I said it there," Sharpton told CNN. "Or if I said I wanted to see a woman raped. This is an insult to all blacks. Lynching is not murder in general; it is not assault in general. It is a specific racial term."

The Golf Channel, which originally said there would be no punishment, changed its position less than three hours after Sharpton's remarks with a statement issued Wednesday night:

"The Golf Channel regrets the poorly chosen remarks made by Kelly Tilghman on a recent broadcast and, again, extends our apologies to anyone who was offended. There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this. While we believe that Kelly's choice of words was inadvertent and that she did not intend them in an offensive manner, the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate. Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3189374&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52942 on: January 09, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
See, I think this could've just been a learning opportunity for folks.  She apologized promptly and seemed sincere. Something about the context of the statement makes it seem less offensive/threatening. The suspension seems unnecessary to me, and normally I would be yelling about how she needs to be fired.  But lords knows I don't care if they suspend her for two weeks.

Heh, maybe folks will learn more quickly if they fear suspension?

ETA: Maybe I just don't care if someone threatens to lynch Tiger's supposedly non-black self.  ::)
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52943 on: January 09, 2008, 11:02:13 PM »
Yeah I don't think she really meant it, but the Re'm is right: it's about more than just Tiger.

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52944 on: January 09, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »
Yeah, I think it's time for Cablinasian people everywhere to stand up and represent!
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52945 on: January 09, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
See, I think this could've just been a learning opportunity for folks.  She apologized promptly and seemed sincere. Something about the context of the statement makes it seem less offensive/threatening. The suspension seems unnecessary to me, and normally I would be yelling about how she needs to be fired.  But lords knows I don't care if they suspend her for two weeks.

ETA: Maybe I just don't care if someone threatens to lynch Tiger's supposedly non-black self.  ::)

As usual, ITA, Golden.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52946 on: January 10, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

its a witch hunt man....distractions distractions...people are stupid...read things in context...everyone says things they shouldn't/regret....all a person can do is apologize...f em if they can't take a joke
...man, you was who you was before you got here

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52947 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
Genarlow Wilson to attend Morehouse College

By CHANDLER BROWN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/10/08

Genarlow Wilson will be heading to college courtesy of the Tom Joyner Foundation.

Wilson, the Douglasville teen who spent two years in prison for having consensual sex with a teenager, will attend Atlanta's Morehouse College this spring, courtesy of the Tom Joyner Foundation, an educational non-profit founded by the nationally syndicated radio personality. The foundation posted the announcement on its Web site Thursday morning.

The 10-year-old foundation is paying for Wilson's tuition, books and on-campus housing. The amount of the scholarship was not made public.

Wilson was freed from prison Oct. 26 after the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that his 10-year sentence for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl was "cruel and unusual punishment."

Wilson, who was 17 at the time of the incident, was convicted of felony aggravated child molestation. At the time, state law mandated a minimum 10-year sentence for the crime.

The Legislature eventually changed the law to make such cases a misdemeanor when they involved teenagers close in age.

B.J. Bernstein, Wilson's attorney who helped secure his release, said Wilson showed up at her office this week wearing a Morehouse ID badge around his neck.

"To see him replace the old prison ID badge with a badge from a prestigious [historically black college] was why Genarlow's mother and I fought so hard," Bernstein said. "This special moment in Genarlow's life became a reality because of the Tom Joyner Foundation."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/01/10/genarlow_0110.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52948 on: January 10, 2008, 01:23:33 PM »
Reverend Al, please sit down.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52949 on: January 10, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
Reverend Al, please sit down.

al's media whoring mighta caught up with him....the fed's are mad at him for letting one of them dudes that broke outta jail slide to mexico...talking about obstruction of justice and such....hope they have good perms in jail
...man, you was who you was before you got here