Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1677267 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #51350 on: October 24, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »
LOL I think the reason BLSD doesn't feel like a "community" anymore is because people overreact like they're on steroids or something.  ;)

BLSD is still a community. The only difference is instead of taking pictures of people and drawing insulting things on them and talking about how gross fat people are, there are people on here now talking about how unhelpful bourgie blacks who look down their noses at poor black folks are. Just another facet to the conversation in my view. BLSD is no less offensive and no less a community than it ever was.

ETA: Some people do tend to use unnecessarily harsh tones with each other (not that that's new to BLSD but it used to be limited to a few outliers.) Perhaps some of us, myself included, should start using ;) more...because I think a lot of the tension is due to misread tones!

go to hell

ETA:  ;)

:) :D ;D ;D ;D....i'm tired of the passive aggressiveness myself
...man, you was who you was before you got here

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51351 on: October 24, 2007, 09:43:28 PM »
actually i wasn't a member of the board when that happened.. i heard about it.. but i wasn't around.. so that certainly isn't something that i miss... and even if i was here.. it isn't something that i view as a laughing matter.. u should know what i miss Monica.. the great conversations that used to exist.. the days when most of us got along with each other.. the days when people didn't just call folks bourgie (on the sly without directing it @ them).. the days when people expressed genuine concern about what each of us were doing in our respective lives...

but now we've reached the point where we feel that it is ok to call each other names.. or think that folks don't have genuine concerns and interests for the black community because their approach is different from what you may or may not be doing.. there was a time that u and i used to agree on almost everything.. but it seems to me that u're so caught up in thinking that i'm bourgie because i don't condone foolishness.. that u don't realize that i'm the same person that i've always been..

being devoted to social justice..doesn't mean that i have to accept black boys wearing their jeans down to their ankles.. throwing up gang signs.. or holding up money like they have some street cred.. we need to do better..

and those of us that aren't like that don't need to demean ourselves.. and lower our standards in order to reach out to the community.. we need to stop making excuses for our bros and sisters in the struggle.. we aren't reaching them by excusing them.. we're giving them a pass.. and if we continue to do that.. we'll never get ahead..

LOL I think the reason BLSD doesn't feel like a "community" anymore is because people overreact like they're on steroids or something.  ;)

BLSD is still a community. The only difference is instead of taking pictures of people and drawing insulting things on them and talking about how gross fat people are, there are people on here now talking about how unhelpful bourgie blacks who look down their noses at poor black folks are. Just another facet to the conversation in my view. BLSD is no less offensive and no less a community than it ever was.

ETA: Some people do tend to use unnecessarily harsh tones with each other (not that that's new to BLSD but it used to be limited to a few outliers.) Perhaps some of us, myself included, should start using ;) more...because I think a lot of the tension is due to misread tones!
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51352 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:42 PM »
it can be.. but personally i feel that we must do better.. however i am taking action to try to reach as many people as i possibly can.. and trust it is a tiring feat..

I think that the "Do better" mantra is simply empty rhetoric without any meaningful action to support it. And if you're going to support it, you need to understand it. And if you're going to understand it, you need know the historical context that created it and that continually perpetuates it.

Not to justify immoral behavior, but to understand it and attack it from the roots. I've mentioned it before, but man Cornel West was so right about nihilism. Black people are hopeless. We need another Black Power Movement.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51353 on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
I ALWAYS seem to come back when there is something going on....good grief.  ;)
Damn...it's the third year already!!

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51354 on: October 24, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »
i agree with you 100% but u already knew that ;)..
;)

...Since we are talking history...I spend a great deal of time looking at old photos of Atlanta and Black Americans back in the day. I am sorry but when I go back in history...I dont go back to oppressed black people. I mean in the pictures I see I see hard working people. My aunt has some old photos from night life back in the day at the Royal Peacock on Auburn Ave. Men in nice suits..women in nice dresses. No one's ass was hanging out. So forgive me...because how do you go from the elegence they had-despite Jim Crow laws, segregation etc.  To the ignorance condone today.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Most people's conception of black people is limited to shame, poverty, and hopelessness.   Despite the horror of slavery, Jim Crow, and any -ism that's been thrown against us --  many, many, MANY black people always managed to maintain their sense of dignity, pride in their families and communities, aspirations for and willingness to sacrifice for the benefit of future generations, etc.  This is the black America I know.  This is the black America that my parents and grandparents and so forth represent.  This is my heritage, and it will be my legacy, too.  I make no excuses for anyone aspiring to anything less!

We didnt seem to progress forward but dropped ass backwards into monkey shuffle and tar-babies. I am not going to be PC..this is N-ish behavior period.  These negros on the web piss me the hell off. An to sit there and condone it and play the poor misunderstood black kid is a bunch of BS. They know better and their parents who let them go to the BET awards looking like thugs know better. But by all means please continue to enable their dumbasses..making excuses for them. Keep saying it is hip to be ignorant because you are black...like my auntie says that is who they are building the jails for.
Say so!

Exactly. AND I would add that you cannot expect to uplift unless you understand the problem.

but we understand, and those of us who don't won't, not now, not ever ....if you've gotten to 2007 and you dont understand the problem you never will. its time to understand the solution and the solution is to change the behavior, and stop tolerating bad behavior, and stop running to the defense of every black person simply because they are black.
This is on point!  Especially the underlined part!!!!!!!!!!! 
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51355 on: October 24, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
why do some of us (in general not anyone in particular) feel that we need to justify or EXCUSE unacceptable behavior because a person is black? why is it that when someone says someone is actin' nerish (and we all know what that means) we have to get a history lesson on the origin of the word n. I'm not tryna' be confrontational i just dont understand the mindset. a large part of the "race" discussion in this country amounts to spinning wheels in the mud because it seems to me whenever someone, anyone bill cosby various people here etc. calls a spade a spade there's this giant scratch of the needle on the record and we get "wait wait wait lets look at the historical context, lets talk about slavery lets a bunch of stuff in the past that we cannot change" its insanity. it makes us look foolish and is a large reason why the whole "race" debate in this country has been ghettoized. we are the only race that continues to defend nonsense. those of use who refuse are called sell-outs or out of touch or uncle toms or ignorant of the plight of others. thats bull! its the equivalent of the mom with the bad as- kid that everybody knows is a bad as- kid and needs a major as- whupping but never gets one because mom doesn't think her baby does anything wrong. ultimately that kid is gonna get that as- whupping most likely in jail or some other place where we put people who think that actions don't have consequences. the biggest think holding a.a. in this country back is other a.a. making excuses and justifying what is, has, and always will be unacceptable behavior. we quit picking cotton, lets quit all the other bull that came along with it as well. the expiration date has long since passed. 

what he said..

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51356 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
Exactly. AND I would add that you cannot expect to uplift unless you understand the problem.

but we understand, and those of us who don't won't, not now, not ever ....if you've gotten to 2007 and you dont understand the problem you never will. its time to understand the solution and the solution is to change the behavior, and stop tolerating bad behavior, and stop running to the defense of every black person simply because they are black.

But that whole statement seemingly contradicts itself. If you believe that people will "never learn" (if they haven't learned by 2007), then how can you then expect them to understand and become apart of the solution?

Of course those members of the Jena 6, who actually participated in the fight, should be punished. But not for murder. Not with a shoe. Can't we want Negros to act right and yet, if they don't, still get equal treatment under the law?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51357 on: October 24, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
miss u buddy..

I ALWAYS seem to come back when there is something going on....good grief.  ;)

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51358 on: October 24, 2007, 10:53:03 PM »
Maybe I am too simple minded most days but whateva. Since we are talking history...I spend a great deal of time looking at old photos of Atlanta and Black Americans back in the day. I am sorry but when I go back in history...I dont go back to oppressed black people. I mean in the pictures I see I see hard working people. My aunt has some old photos from night life back in the day at the Royal Peacock on Auburn Ave. Men in nice suits..women in nice dresses. No one's ass was hanging out. So forgive me...because how do you go from the elegence they had-despite Jim Crow laws, segregation etc. To the ignorance condone today. We didnt seem to progress forward but dropped ass backwards into monkey shuffle and tar-babies. I am not going to be PC..this is N-ish behavior period.  These negros on the web piss me the hell off. An to sit there and condone it and play the poor misunderstood black kid is a bunch of BS. They know better and their parents who let them go to the BET awards looking like thugs know better. But by all means please continue to enable their dumbasses..making excuses for them. Keep saying it is hip to be ignorant because you are black...like my auntie says that is who they are building the jails for.

Note: Forgive spelling errors...too tired to correct.

Seriously...black folks had class and dignity in spite of the sweltering oppression that they faced daily. just today in fact, this teenaged black kid was walking around with his pants damn near at his knees. i said, half in jest, half in admonition, cuz you can't tell these young fools nothing, hey bro, your pants are falling off. here come his trifling azz mama, a few steps behind
him, talking about 'he know!!! they supposed to!' and looking at me like i was in the wrong. that's the damn problem. and truth be told, some of these n-word (and that's what they are if you ask me, so sue me) don't want to do any better. i'm really sick of it. sometimes i wonder if we need to be on some opening scene of that gladiator movie *&^%. cut them jokers off and keep it moving. hell, the last poets said it best..."Die n-word! And let Black Folks take over!"

and i'm done.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51359 on: October 24, 2007, 10:57:38 PM »

But that whole statement seemingly contradicts itself. If you believe that people will "never learn" (if they haven't learned by 2007), then how can you then expect them to understand and become apart of the solution?

Of course those members of the Jena 6, who actually participated in the fight, should be punished. But not for murder. Not with a shoe. Can't we want Negros to act right and yet, if they don't, still get equal treatment under the law?

my statement had zip, ziltch, 0 to do with the jena 6 and there is nothing contradictory in my statement
...man, you was who you was before you got here