Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1697496 times)

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #50480 on: September 12, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »
It is not a valid policy to have and it serves no purpose.  There is no justification for it.  I mean, most law schools (I wont name names) have inflated grading systems.  It's just a way of life, so I need to hear why it's a valid policy.

I don't believe in grade inflation either.  But like I said, as long as schools give full disclosure before students sign up, I have no problem with whatever they do.

lol @ full disclosure.  That's like a law firm being super honest with a summer associate when they make an offer.  "Now we love you and want you here, but you know you are gonna be pulling 80 hour weeks."  psssssshhh!!!
Damn...it's the third year already!!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50481 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:01 PM »
u are crazy lol

Yea, that Blk is an alright broad...lol, hooked me up something proper like...LMAO ;)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50482 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:29 PM »
And here we thought you were too prestigious for us now.  Welcome back!

Too prestigious?  Definitely not.  Too damn busy?  Yeah.

Class has only been in session for a week and it already feels like I've been here for a month or longer. 

You get used to it.  :::sigh:::

I hope it just gets easier.

Getting used to it may not be a good thing, in the same way that "getting used" to loud noises just means you're going deaf.

Until it does get easier, I won't really be posting too much around these parts.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50483 on: September 12, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »
as far as loans are concerned.. i'm always above board with my clients (intent can co-sign on this as he was one of them) i will go to bat and put you in the best program possible..

I think that ARMS are effective in some circumstances.. ie a law student that wants to purchase an inexpensive home that relies on his/her summer associate position and/or student loans to pay the mortgage (which is comparable to the price of rent in their respective cities) as soon as the client graduates from law school they can refinance and get into a fixed rate mortgage.. to me it makes perfect sense..
I started out in an ARM for one of my properties as well because I didn't have any credit cards/loans on my report so I needed to establish some things before I could qualify as prime.. as soon as that day came I moved into a fixed rate mortgage @ 5.7% with roughly 30k of equity in my house..

on the flip side I'd never put a person that couldn't afford a home in a home.. nor do I regularly put my clients in ARMS..

if someone graduated from undergrad with a 2.3 GPA in general studies and has a 148 LSAT and I know them well enough to give advice.. I'd suggest some alternative careers...

Of course you are above-board!  I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I just think a lot of agents aren't and fool people who have trouble understanding finances (including some very smart people like our own MoBell, avowedly, anyway) into loans that are way over their head.  And it's wrong.  

And while I don't think the LSAT is the be all and end all of anything (my own mediocrity being living proof), I agree that some people shouldn't go to law school, or face a lot of risk if they do.  Since the schools are in a position to benefit from that risktaking, conscience demands that they do better job of letting people know what the odds are.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50484 on: September 12, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »

Class has only been in session for a week and it already feels like I've been here for a month or longer. 

Hope you're enjoying it ;)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50485 on: September 12, 2007, 11:59:05 PM »
I think noncompliance with ABA standards while advertising that you're an ABA accredited institution is actionable.

I don't.  "Compliance" doesn't mean "adherence to every, single standard."  It means largely adhering to them.  Flexibility is necessary.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50486 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:01 AM »

Thanks.  It's been good so far, but some of my profs have been pretty tough when it comes to expressing opposing viewpoints or questioning some of their opinions.  Nothing serious though.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50487 on: September 13, 2007, 12:04:22 AM »
I think noncompliance with ABA standards while advertising that you're an ABA accredited institution is actionable.

I don't.  "Compliance" doesn't mean "adherence to every, single standard."  It means largely adhering to them.  Flexibility is necessary.

You've ignored my argument.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50488 on: September 13, 2007, 12:05:40 AM »
Thanks.  It's been good so far, but some of my profs have been pretty tough when it comes to expressing opposing viewpoints or questioning some of their opinions.  Nothing serious though.

lol, Denny.  Who woulda thunk?

Welcome back.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50489 on: September 13, 2007, 12:07:36 AM »

Lol of course.  But don't sweat it.  And please don't do the usual 1st-semester-1L stressing out.  You'll all get your Credits.  Don't worry.  Have fun and enjoy learning the law.