Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
 16 (34.8%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
 4 (8.7%)
The Board is too cliquish.
 10 (21.7%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
 2 (4.3%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
 2 (4.3%)
Not enough Board moderation.
 4 (8.7%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
 8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Black Law Student Discussion Board  (Read 1697873 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #50470 on: September 12, 2007, 11:40:34 PM »
Are they not informed of the curve?  If not, then I agree that that's misleading and shady.  If they are, then they should have understood the risk.  Are you also in favor of blindly promoting people through grade school, as so many schools are wont to do these days?

There is no way to figure out, by the mere existence of the curve, that a certain number of students will flunk out, though, because it depends on the distribution of grades over 8-12 classes.  Also, no, most schools don't publicize their grading systems and academic standards except to matriculated students.  (I didn't know about my curve until I had the student handbook, which is password-protected.)

agreed my school changed a lot of the things that they had when I applied both good and bad.  Then there's a clause in the student handbook that says  something to the effect that "this is not to be construed as a K btw applicant/student and school"  and another one that says "school can change w/o notice".  We had an impromtu LW asignment where we had to bring in an actual K, I couldn't find my lease so I grabbed the handbook 5 mins b4 class and found this out.  
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50471 on: September 12, 2007, 11:43:43 PM »
it doesn't do anything no.. like i said if you "must" go to law school.. and your original score is extremely low..then retake.. if the issue keeps resurfacing then I firmly believe this field isn't for you... often times there are mitigating circumstances that cause poor lsat scores.. death in the family.. health.. insert issue here____... but if a person takes the exam 2-3 times and can't break a 150 then they really really need to look into an alternative career..

any ole school won't do in my book..

as far as loans are concerned.. i'm always above board with my clients (intent can co-sign on this as he was one of them) i will go to bat and put you in the best program possible..

I think that ARMS are effective in some circumstances.. ie a law student that wants to purchase an inexpensive home that relies on his/her summer associate position and/or student loans to pay the mortgage (which is comparable to the price of rent in their respective cities) as soon as the client graduates from law school they can refinance and get into a fixed rate mortgage.. to me it makes perfect sense..
I started out in an ARM for one of my properties as well because I didn't have any credit cards/loans on my report so I needed to establish some things before I could qualify as prime.. as soon as that day came I moved into a fixed rate mortgage @ 5.7% with roughly 30k of equity in my house..

on the flip side I'd never put a person that couldn't afford a home in a home.. nor do I regularly put my clients in ARMS..

if someone graduated from undergrad with a 2.3 GPA in general studies and has a 148 LSAT and I know them well enough to give advice.. I'd suggest some alternative careers...

people that score extremely low LSAT scores with horrible grades really should retake the LSAT imho (if they must go to law school).. it's one thing to want to be a lawyer.. it's a completely different ballgame when you know damn well you have some serious problems completing your work and understanding the concepts..

it's like a person buying a house when they know that they can't afford it.. if your credit profile is good enough to get you financing why should the bank turn you down? at the end of the day it's all a $$$$ game..

i'm not saying it's right.. but it can be justified...

Retaking the LSAT doesn't do anything to provide people with the skills they need to get through law school, though, does it?  I don't see how this helps.  

FWIW, I think subprime, oversized ARMs are unconscionable for the most part, too.  People with specialized knowledge should not take advantage of people who don't have that specialized knowledge.  I totally believe in mandatory disclosures of risk and contributions to independent, non-profit financial counseling services.

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50472 on: September 12, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
It is not a valid policy to have and it serves no purpose.  There is no justification for it.  I mean, most law schools (I wont name names) have inflated grading systems.  It's just a way of life, so I need to hear why it's a valid policy.

I don't believe in grade inflation either.  But like I said, as long as schools give full disclosure before students sign up, I have no problem with whatever they do.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #50473 on: September 12, 2007, 11:45:39 PM »
 :D

it's like a person buying a house when they know that they can't afford it.. if your credit profile is good enough to get you financing why should the bank turn you down? at the end of the day it's all a $$$$ game..

i'm not saying it's right.. but it can be justified...

Credited.  For the record, I don't support forced curves.  They're silly.  But it's a valid policy to have.

They should just go full out and have a reality show where only one graduates. Every week they'll cut 20 more and let them know that their variable interests rates have skyrocketed and they'll be getting their first bill withing 6 weeks.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50474 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
Glad to see I haven't been missing much around these parts.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50475 on: September 12, 2007, 11:47:29 PM »
And here we thought you were too prestigious for us now.  Welcome back!
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Quote from: Miss P
Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50476 on: September 12, 2007, 11:48:51 PM »

Too prestigious?  Definitely not.  Too damn busy?  Yeah.

Class has only been in session for a week and it already feels like I've been here for a month or longer. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #50477 on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
I think noncompliance with ABA standards while advertising that you're an ABA accredited institution is actionable.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50478 on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:31 PM »
Yea, that Blk is an alright broad...lol, hooked me up something proper like...LMAO ;)
Damn...it's the third year already!!

Gengiswump

• Sr. Citizen
  • "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50479 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

Too prestigious?  Definitely not.  Too damn busy?  Yeah.

Class has only been in session for a week and it already feels like I've been here for a month or longer. 

You get used to it.  :::sigh:::
Quote from: tj.
Write a PS on it, fuckstick.

Sometimes all you've got is a wacky hi-jink.

This is truly the ultimate in toolish douchebaggery.

Res nonnumquam ipsa loquitur, sed aliter aeternaliter queritur.