Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
18 (35.3%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.8%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (19.6%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.9%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.9%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.8%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Black Law Student Discussion Board

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #49720 on: August 30, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »
SMU - you probably remember this from the bar - does Texas take marital fault into consideration for child custody?

« Reply #49721 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »
to me it isn't just about the infidelity though Miss P... i mean yes that's a huge issue and i won't downplay that at all.. but the woman for whatever reason married this man without (i'm assuming) at the very least letting him know that she's bisexual (if she's not a lesbian)...so in turn the marriage is based on a lie.. and it's hard for me to develop empathy for a woman (or a man for that matter) that would do that... have a child and immediately have an affair..

I just don't think that infidelity necessarily makes someone an unfit parent.  It's abhorrent and unforgivable, perhaps, in the context of an adult relationship, but a lot of adulterers are very fine parents.

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #49722 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »
I think it is rather unethical to play into the prejudices of others to advance your own petty cause, but thats just me.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #49723 on: August 30, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
Yeah two competing values here.  I'm not an impact litigator.  I'll fight for the little guy while you throw him in the fire for the "big picture." ;)

As for impact litigation, been there, done that.  I don't believe you plan to "fight for the little guy," but it is, in fact, why I went to law school.  Anyway...

I just don't think that infidelity necessarily makes someone an unfit parent.  It's abhorrent and unforgivable, perhaps, in the context of an adult relationship, but a lot of adulterers are very fine parents.  I also don't see why it would absolve SMU's friend from paying child support.  The parent who can afford to support the child should pay.  It's his child.

By "little guy," I meant something closer to "individual client."  I prefer to focus on doing everything I can to win the current game.

If the two parents are otherwise equal, I'd rather the child be with the faithful parent than with the lying, manipulative one who can't control her impulses.  As for child support, at least he'd be supporting the child directly, and only the child, instead of indirectly supporting the sorry mother.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #49724 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
to me it isn't just about the infidelity though Miss P... i mean yes that's a huge issue and i won't downplay that at all.. but the woman for whatever reason married this man without (i'm assuming) at the very least letting him know that she's bisexual (if she's not a lesbian)...so in turn the marriage is based on a lie.. and it's hard for me to develop empathy for a woman (or a man for that matter) that would do that... have a child and immediately have an affair..

I just don't think that infidelity necessarily makes someone an unfit parent.  It's abhorrent and unforgivable, perhaps, in the context of an adult relationship, but a lot of adulterers are very fine parents.

why?  do you have to tell your potential mate that you are also attracted to latinos/asians etc?  why is sexual orientation the paramount item to be disclosed?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #49725 on: August 30, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
I think it is rather unethical to play into the prejudices of others to advance your own petty cause, but thats just me.

dood that's done all the time.  It's how the game is played.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #49726 on: August 30, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »

dood that's done all the time.  It's how the game is played.

indeed unethical things are done all the time.  doesn't make it any less questionable/wrong.

« Reply #49727 on: August 30, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »
is this a serious question??? that's apples and oranges... if a person that i am dating is attracted to/has dated/been intimate with other men then i have a right to know... and we wouldn't be together... race and sexuality are not mutually exclusive when it involves two people engaging in a romantic relationship with one another..

why?  do you have to tell your potential mate that you are also attracted to latinos/asians etc?  why is sexual orientation the paramount item to be disclosed?

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #49728 on: August 30, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
is this a serious question??? that's apples and oranges... if a person that i am dating is attracted to/has dated/been intimate with other men then i have a right to know... and we wouldn't be together... race and sexuality are not mutually exclusive when it involves two people engaging in a romantic relationship with one another..

I think you have a right to know all of a partner's previous history, but I don't think you have more of a right to know if they were sleeping with male private part rather than Jane.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #49729 on: August 30, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

they should be paying for all these expenses.  If you haven't heard from recruiting, send them an email saying something like "I just wanted to check in to see if there is a preferred way to make my travel arrangements"---usually they'll connect you with lawyer's travel and you'll be set.  Good luck!

eta: fixed the spelling errors.  geesh, I clearly shouldn't try to give advice when in the middle of something else.  Let us know how it turns out Jontor.

One Step Ahead:
Worked exactly like you stated. Once again, thanks.