Law School Discussion

Poll

Why are the Newbies scared to speak up?

They prefer to Lurk.
18 (35.3%)
They're not, they're just on another website.
4 (7.8%)
The Board is too cliquish.
10 (19.6%)
There's nothing interesting to talk about.
3 (5.9%)
There's nobody interesting to talk to.
2 (3.9%)
Not enough Board moderation.
4 (7.8%)
Newbies?  What Newbies?
10 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Black Law Student Discussion Board

A.

• View Profile
Re: Black Law Student Discussion Board
« Reply #49050 on: August 16, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »
Alci's a good model. Some of you should start following it. Embrace the bourgieness.

:D It will be a fine day when a significant part of black america can be called bougie.  Doing my part to help 8)

« Reply #49051 on: August 16, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
You know some of y'all need to calm the f*ck down. Who the heck cares if someone calls you bourgie? One might think some people would be able to tell the different between people joking about others being bourgie because of clothing purchases versus actually thinking you've forgotten where you come from, but apparently not. Look, I shop at BR myself and go to Yale, so obviously I don't think these off-hand criteria are indicative of anything bad. Fall back. Don't let your Gucci bag destroy your sense of when someone's trying to insult you and when someone's just messing. I don't care what you purchase.

Alci's a good model. Some of you should start following it. Embrace the bourgieness. Come back with some words of your own. Don't get so easily offended. This is how I know you're bourgie. If you get mad instead of playing the dozens, you must not have grown up around many black folk. Sorry, but it's true. :P

As for Obama stuff, like the bourgie stuff, it's half based on my true beliefs and half for entertainment purposes. I actually WORK in politics, so I don't need to engage in serious political discussions on BLSD. Picking on Obama is fun. Hillary's my real target for the primary - she's just not as funny.

uhhhh i'm pretty sure we were all kidding

:D

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49052 on: August 16, 2007, 07:15:44 PM »
You know some of y'all need to calm the f*ck down. Who the heck cares if someone calls you bourgie? One might think some people would be able to tell the different between people joking about others being bourgie because of clothing purchases versus actually thinking you've forgotten where you come from, but apparently not. Look, I shop at BR myself and go to Yale, so obviously I don't think these off-hand criteria are indicative of anything bad. Fall back. Don't let your Gucci bag destroy your sense of when someone's trying to insult you and when someone's just messing. I don't care what you purchase.

Alci's a good model. Some of you should start following it. Embrace the bourgieness. Come back with some words of your own. Don't get so easily offended. This is how I know you're bourgie. If you get mad instead of playing the dozens, you must not have grown up around many black folk. Sorry, but it's true. :P

As for Obama stuff, like the bourgie stuff, it's half based on my true beliefs and half for entertainment purposes. I actually WORK in politics, so I don't need to engage in serious political discussions on BLSD. Picking on Obama is fun. Hillary's my real target for the primary - she's just not as funny.

uhhhh i'm pretty sure we were all kidding

actually the contrary is fairly clear. thanks for playing.

« Reply #49053 on: August 16, 2007, 07:22:09 PM »

i don't think that people were taking this personally (i know i wasn't...even though i wasn't called that, i could give a *&^% if anyone did bc yall don't know me like that :D) but i think that most of the ppl on this board have ideas about bougieness that just doesn't sit well with me, that is all since i can't speak for anyone else.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49054 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
 ::) bougie

« Reply #49055 on: August 16, 2007, 07:26:39 PM »

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49056 on: August 16, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

i don't think that people were taking this personally (i know i wasn't...even though i wasn't called that, i could give a sh*t if anyone did bc yall don't know me like that :D) but i think that most of the ppl on this board have ideas about bougieness that just doesn't sit well with me, that is all since i can't speak for anyone else.

pretty much...i couldn't care less about people's opinions...this board is just not that serious..not for me anyway

« Reply #49057 on: August 16, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »
yeah pretty much.. no one's sitting over here crying or preparing to slit their wrist because of the bougie statements.. it's not the 1st time.. won't be the last... it's the same as the "nilla" statements.. *&^% gets tired over time..

at the end of the day.. everyone's going to wear what they want to wear but as for me personally.. i'm just tired of all the "bougie" *&^%.. blk- that's an elitist statement (without actually saying my name but one know's i'm the person that had the balls to express what i truly feel about some issues) blk- it's bougie to shop @ J Crew.. it just gets mad nauseating... wearing nice clothes and wanting a man to be on the same playing field that i'm on isn't wrong.. it isn't bougie..

and my feelings aren't hurt.. to be blunt for a sec..i really don't give a @#!*..

but just as these light skinned/dark skinned views come from somewhere.. i still believe that more often than not.. black folks as a whole believe that one must have a success story... and they resent or have less respect for those that may have been blessed to have a few generations of college grads in the fam.. or successful folks in the fam... there's a notion that people (more specifically black people) that "come from wealth (or whatever u want to call it) " are pretentious.. and that isn't always the case... and that's my point...

i don't think that people were taking this personally (i know i wasn't...even though i wasn't called that, i could give a *&^% if anyone did bc yall don't know me like that :D) but i think that most of the ppl on this board have ideas about bougieness that just doesn't sit well with me, that is all since i can't speak for anyone else.

« Reply #49058 on: August 16, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »
Yah people are a little touchy around these parts.  Hopefully nothing I post ever gets me cursed out.  I'm dreading that first "WTFever".  :P  But seriously though, it's what it is, and "brand loyalty" and "targeted demographic" are not imaginary concepts.  Clothing is as much about identification as it is about expression and you can buck trends and expectations but that doesn't change what most people are doing and thinking.

As an example, (irrelevant or not  ;)) a couple of days ago in the Associate thread, folks would have had me believe that I don't live where I do in fact live because of the perceptions they held.  The USPS and the illustrator of every area atlas ever produced disagrees with them, but I knew what they meant so I let it go. 

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49059 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:20 PM »
50 bucks for Greyhound to New York at 5 hrs or 170 bucks for a 1hr plane ride?